I posted this in general nd no one responded so I thought I'd post it here instead. I have been working on a game with a friend of mine and wanted to run it by you and see if you've got any advice. I'm doing all the music and sound in MilkyTracker so far, which is what I'm most comfortable with. You can play a demo build here:

http://preece.github.io/Frauki/

The controls are arrow keys, x, z, and space. I mostly want advise on the actual sound effects because that's what I'm working on now and I've never really done it before. Let me know if you have any input or advice.

Here are all the SFX files:
https://github.com/Preece/Frauki/tree/gh-pages/Data/Sfx

And here is all the music:
https://github.com/Preece/Frauki/tree/g … Data/Music

Also here is a tumblr if you wanna follow the project:
http://preecedev.tumblr.com/

Thanks a lot guys!

Abandoned on Fire

I had short play on the demo and it's pretty neat.  I like the environment and the combat animations in particular.  Do you have the audio somewhere in a format other than xm?  I'd like to check it out for sure!

Did the audio not play in the demo? You can play xm in vlc or I can upload mp3 for you later today. All the sfx are wav.

Abandoned on Fire
ecce homo wrote:

Did the audio not play in the demo? You can play xm in vlc or I can upload mp3 for you later today. All the sfx are wav.

I only heard sfx in the demo but I'm on a work computer that has ridiculous firewall settings so not every page loads like it should.  I'll try it again later tonight.

Ah coder disabled the music but it's back in now!

NC in the US of America

Pretty neat. I like the health/attack system. It also feels vaguely reminiscent of Jill of the Jungle, which is really cool. The music and sounds seem... more energetic than is required for the gameplay, but it's enjoyable to listen to.

I appreciate your input! Do you think you could elaborate? This is my first time doing sound for a game so I'm very much looking for any help I can get. By "energetic" do you mean it sounds too upbeat or that there is just too much going on, like frenetic, or is the music too melody driven for your taste? Something else? Sorry to pry I just wanna do the best job I can!

NC in the US of America
ecce homo wrote:

I appreciate your input! Do you think you could elaborate? This is my first time doing sound for a game so I'm very much looking for any help I can get. By "energetic" do you mean it sounds too upbeat or that there is just too much going on, like frenetic, or is the music too melody driven for your taste? Something else? Sorry to pry I just wanna do the best job I can!

Maybe a little of all those things. Looking at the game, i would imagine something more atmospheric and warm. It may be that the "bit" sounds are a bit too bright sounding to my ears. Too much treble? But then again, the composition style reminds me of Jill of the Jungle, and so do the visuals. it may be the gameplay itself that feels off to me. Not sure. But the best thing to do is to do what you like, at the end of the day.

Thanks for the input man, I really appreciate it!

orange county, CA

this is really neat, and personally i enjoy the audio. i could definitely see sketchman's input though, playing to a "warm" sounding track. but none the less, the music now is nice.

Thanks bud. I'm definitely going for a genesis type synthy feel and some of it may be inherent to milky tracker, but I could probably round off some of my leads a little but. My tastes are probably askew from those of the general population. Maybe I should make some room in the high end of the music and let the sfx occupy that space...

NC in the US of America
ecce homo wrote:

Maybe I should make some room in the high end of the music and let the sfx occupy that space...

Ooooh... that does sound like a good idea, from a sound design point of view. Especially for a retro-styled game.