Tokyo, Japan

I assume there has been internal discussion about this already but I was curious why no off topic forum. About 1/3 of the posts in the general discussion area aren't really chip related.

Los Angeles

No off topic, General Discussion is "off topic" enough as it is smile

A gray world of dread

Right now, I don't miss any particular forums section. I think the 'merged' sections work pretty well.

NSW, Australia

With more members, come more threads, come a wider range of topics. But at the moment it's aiiighttt dawwg.

Brazil

If people don't get so derailing as it turned in the other forum, everything is gonna be fine. Good off-topic threads, no bullshit. General Discussion is going pretty well (so is chipmusic.org)

Los Angeles

Can someone explain to me the categorical difference between General Discussion and Off Topic?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
trash80 wrote:

Can someone explain to me the categorical difference between General Discussion and Off Topic?

Answer: nothing smile

New York City

There's no difference.
Also, why does the graphics forum, for example, now have a a photography thread? Wouldn't that be in General Discussion? How's that related to chipmusic? I am having a hard time trying to see the point of that in there. Perhaps those forums should be subforums of General Discussion...
oh well..

Brazil

The photography thread is just a reflex of beign used to 8bc, where it was a subforum of GD.

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:

There's no difference.
Also, why does the graphics forum, for example, now have a a photography thread? Wouldn't that be in General Discussion? How's that related to chipmusic? I am having a hard time trying to see the point of that in there. Perhaps those forums should be subforums of General Discussion...
oh well..

Not a big deal to me, I mean yeah it might not fix completely, but we are trying to bring order to chaos here. smile

New York City

http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/2396/#p2396
No, really, please, give me a break.
This clearly goes in General Discussion.
The forum's title is being abused, I think.

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:

Not to me actually, as a designer I found the watches nice / inspiring. so i dont know.

The Bronx
trash80 wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

Not to me actually, as a designer I found the watches nice / inspiring. so i dont know.

Ditto.

"Graphics, Artwork & Design" doesn't have to be solely chip music-related. As the forum's introductory description states, "Chipmusic.org is an online community in respect and relation to chip music, art and its parallels.", photography and watches are related to chipmusic.org in the same way monks are related to beer.

New York City

I am a graphic designer as well. That has nothing to do with the point I made.
It is not a parallel to chipmusic. Hairs, you guys are splitting big_smile
Just put itin General Discussion and it's fine, it's what that forum is about, isn't t?

New York City

I just looked at the categories forum are splitted in, and maybe what would be cool is a few relocations of forums.
I am totally missing the point of the graphic design forum, to neme it'd be part of general talk (stuff people might want to talk about but it's not a core element of chipmusic).

It would be good that recent posts can be configured so certain forums are not shown (like a "show me all new messages but ignore this forum" sort of thing)

Tokyo, Japan

I'm not campaigning for an off topic forum just wondering what the reasoning behind not having one was.

trash80 wrote:

My logic goes something like this and I admit its largely a semantic difference but forums are generally centered around a theme, in this case obviously chip music. "General Discussion" implies general discussion about said theme and off topic implies discussion about anything other than that theme. If moderation is geared more toward common sense and interesting discussion > being incredibly strict about being on topic, thats just peachy keen for me.