france

Hi Rot, sorry to be annoying like this.
Furious advanced tracker and M4G were promising tracker on gba and source were near lost for one of them.
prodigy tracker on genesis too but coutsymphony found an old backup by chance.
So it's just a way to keep a backup of the source.
Hope you understand and thank you for your great work, I like it.

Last edited by yoyz2k (Aug 12, 2015 8:57 am)

UK / FR

Yeah no worries mate, didn't mean to sound annoyed. I agree with you, and also ideologically with open source in general. Just didn't wanna rush to release sloppy code! Thanks for your interest though, it keeps me motivated to work on this, and make it tidier!

I def don't want another vaporware like m4g/fat, hence me not making huge slick announcements until I already had something pretty usable. I massively appreciate the support and kind words of everyone on the forum, and don't want to make promises I can't keep.

sweden
rot wrote:

Actually I kinda just did everything I wanted to do, except test the latest changes on hardware. I wanna release it now cause I'm excited to share it with y'all, but expect things to maybe not work properly.

NEW DOWNLOAD LINK

Heres some of the stuff that changed:

-improved samples screen  (global volume/pitch/pan)
-improved patterns screen (cursor wraps, neater layout, still no key repeat yet i'm afraid sad )
-color modes
-various graphical improvements
-fixed controls and help screen!

-beta sync modes, "nano slave" only, works for me with "nano" mode on lsdj with 2xgba- not fully tested yet at all!! expect this not to work yet.

and maybe the save is a bit broken, and def not compatible with the last release.

Amazing work!!! Is the pitch still in semitones? Was nice to be able to make some melodies in the last version (havent tried it in this one yet). I'll get back with a more detailed report. Keep it up!!

sweden

Got it to sync decent with lsdj (nano mode(both on a gba sp and a DMG). However it seems like there is a small delay before the gba drum starts to react to the clock so it's a few ticks after, but syncing none the less! A great function would be that if the gba drum didn't recieve any clock for a short while it would jump back to step one in the pattern (see nanoloop), so you wouldn't have to toogle the start button.

Also when syncing in song mode the old cursor does not disappear, when you restart at a different position.

Would be a nice with a sample preview on/off option so the samples wouldn't play when you scroll or edit through them in the sample editor meny. Would be great for jamming and changing sample on the go. (ps love the new sample editor screen!)

Got the whole program to crash. Was making a bassline, tuning the samples and it froze and started playing back random glitchy noises. No idea why, but might also be my gba or my cart.

sweden

SELECT + B = RANDOMISE COLUMN - How did I miss this! Like the best thing ever!! Pure gold! If you could implement it on the other columns as well (vol/tune/pan) I would be so happy!

The new color modes looks great!

Would be nice if A + B also deleted the cell.

I would also request that the bpm goes lower than 60, maybe it's just my style of writing but making a 4 chord loop in a 16 step pattern is something I often end up doing. And for that you need really slow bpms.

san diego

i was messing with this and found that if you save a beat with a tempo say for example 90 bpm and then turn off the gameboy and reload the save, the tempo is screwed up. i found right after you load the save you have to click on the bpm in order for the speed to be correct.
also it does not remember the screen set up.

Other then those bugs its a fun program and sounds really nice playing out of the GBA.

If there is a way to load your own samples into it then it would take it to a whole new level!

UK / FR

Hey thanks for the feedback, I haven't been playing around with this at all recently - I'll try and fix those problems though. The save method is really unreliable at the moment, ideally I'd like to write a system so you can save more than one song on a cartridge, although I'm reaching the limit of what I can achieve in terms of 'feature creep'.

sweden

Any news? smile

East Coast USA

Im having a problem running it this on Visual Boy. The pattern playback is so slow its not usable, like there is a solid 30 seconds in between steps on the sequencer with the tempo set at 240 bpm. Is there a setting in the emulator that can solve this?

New Albany Indiana
Dolby-Z wrote:

Im having a problem running it this on Visual Boy. The pattern playback is so slow its not usable, like there is a solid 30 seconds in between steps on the sequencer with the tempo set at 240 bpm. Is there a setting in the emulator that can solve this?

I dont remember what specific setting it is, but you can adjust the speed of the game and there may be a hot key configuration you hit that changed it to that.

Or it could be a bug.

East Coast USA
Bit wish wrote:
Dolby-Z wrote:

I dont remember what specific setting it is, but you can adjust the speed of the game and there may be a hot key configuration you hit that changed it to that.

Or it could be a bug.

According to the emulator, it was running at 100% speed normally, and when i set the "turbo mode" to its highest setting (around 1500% normal speed according to the emulator) the sequencer still only made it up to about 40bpm and the sample playback was really screwed up at this setting. I have the same problem on my PSP's GBA emulator. I'll have to try it on my actual GBA once the flashcart I order finally gets here.

UK / FR

That's really weird, i used visual boy and no$gba to test it while developing it, and on my crappy 1 gHz 'eee pc', and it ran fine, so i'd think its something unique to your setup or maybe its a different version of VBA to the one I had? It's also totally possible there's some horrendous bug in my code as well - as for the PSP emulator I remember testing it on some iPhone emulator and it didn't work at all... sad

Anyway let me know if you figure it out though. It *should* run fine on the flashcart!

Right now I'm not really able to work on this, but sometime in the future I'll sort out the syncing modes and save issues cause I really want to use this tool in some live setups! It seems the options for adding custom samples are either coding some gnarly rom patching tool, re-writing a new audio engine in ARM assembly (not going to happen anytime soon) or downloading the source & toolchain from git and re-compiling the rom with the new samples (which is a pain but i guess is already totally possible)

East Coast USA
rot wrote:

That's really weird, i used visual boy and no$gba to test it while developing it, and on my crappy 1 gHz 'eee pc', and it ran fine, so i'd think its something unique to your setup or maybe its a different version of VBA to the one I had? It's also totally possible there's some horrendous bug in my code as well - as for the PSP emulator I remember testing it on some iPhone emulator and it didn't work at all... sad

Anyway let me know if you figure it out though. It *should* run fine on the flashcart!

Right now I'm not really able to work on this, but sometime in the future I'll sort out the syncing modes and save issues cause I really want to use this tool in some live setups! It seems the options for adding custom samples are either coding some gnarly rom patching tool, re-writing a new audio engine in ARM assembly (not going to happen anytime soon) or downloading the source & toolchain from git and re-compiling the rom with the new samples (which is a pain but i guess is already totally possible)

I'll make sure to check in once my flash cart comes in the mail. Honestly, I know dick about emulators so I usually just flip switches at random in the settings menus until the games play smoothly, so the problem might be that my visual boy is set up weird.

France

Hello,

I can't imagine I didn't see this project before ! This is awesome !

I searched for a long time a project with a source code like this, which mean I can use some things which I didn't figured out in my nintendo ds music homebrew tries like make a sequencer which have a fluid play and not jerky.

I have the source code of Furious Advance Tracker too but it's very big and hard to understand. This source code of gba pattern sequencer is more close that what I made on my ds music homebrew, more usable for me.

And even without that, this project seems to be very cool to use !

Thank you for this work :-)

Last edited by Maz'Hoot (Jul 13, 2022 11:30 am)

France

I just found for inserting "o" in screen patern, I have to press A + up. The first time it didn't work and I had to do A+up+right but I don't know why, now it's seems to always work with A+up...

And with your github I understand I had to put all my samples in the good folder.

EDIT : the a+up+right problem was probably because of my emulator couldn't recognize some key combination. I changed the key select and then A+up works.

Last edited by Maz'Hoot (Jul 13, 2022 11:33 am)

France

I added a more precise random mode and quick, with just pressing B. I don't know why the pitch goes high on the randomized samples...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmArxT9hxT4

EDIT : I fixed the pitch

Last edited by Maz'Hoot (Jul 13, 2022 11:33 am)