Taichung, Taiwan

How's it going everyone. Haven't posted in a while.  I moved to Taiwan and have been living here for a year now.

I currently have a big screen TV with A/V inputs as well as a few other connections. I hooked up my NES and Super Famicom and they work, it's just that the screen resolution isn't great. Everything is pretty muddled. I'm not expecting anything stellar because it isn't a CRT. I currently don't have any space for a CRT at the moment, and I'm trying to find a better solution to my resolution issue.

I'm went through a ton of scenarios of what I could do, from RGB mods to getting a Framemeister.

I've come to the conclusion that getting a Retron 5 would be a good, one stop solution to play my NES/Famicom/Super Famicom/SNES carts instead of doing individual mods to each console for better video output.

Long story short, I wanted to know if LSDj will work via a Super Gameboy in the Retron 5. I will prosound mod the SGB.

Last edited by katsumbhong (Aug 31, 2015 5:46 pm)

Unsubscribe

I think it would work since a SGB is basically a gameboy in a cart, passing the audio and video to another device. If you prosound it you would avoid any of the retron circuitry for the parts that matter.

Abandoned on Fire

You don't need a SGB with the Retron 5.  You can stick your flash cart right in the regular Game Boy slot on the front of the unit.  I can confirm that D'n'D carts work perfectly and that EMS 64 carts work with page 1 only and with only 1 ROM on the page (so LSDJ only, like usual).

Taichung, Taiwan

Thanks everyone!

Unsubscribe
egr wrote:

You don't need a SGB with the Retron 5.  You can stick your flash cart right in the regular Game Boy slot on the front of the unit.  I can confirm that D'n'D carts work perfectly and that EMS 64 carts work with page 1 only and with only 1 ROM on the page (so LSDJ only, like usual).

What about sound quality?

Austin, TX

I was worried it might fry the cart, but I tried my 64m and it worked alright.  I'm curious whether or not using multiple carts might confuse the retron into overwriting your sav from a backup on the console.

Michigan

Do it through an sgb for true, non-emulated chip sounds.

Alive and well in fucksville

so he could emulate non emulated sounds? snes is emulated on retron 5, right? oh duh. prosounded sgb means sound come out of sgb. i need to smoke another one

Last edited by bitjacker (Aug 31, 2015 9:19 pm)

Austin, TX

Yeah, it's still emulated.  Even using a pro-sounded sgb wouldn't work, because the rom is dumped to the retron, and runs from there.

Riverside, CA

if space is an issue, you could always get a smaller crt.

I would avoid the retron 5 like the plague hmm

Abandoned on Fire
herr_prof wrote:
egr wrote:

What about sound quality?

Sound is excellent and the retron has bass/treble adjustments if you so desire.  The only caveat is that it ONLY has hdmi connectivity.  All in all I'm super glad I got it and have been playing translations of cool Super Famicom games and NES homebrew like a madman.

Taichung, Taiwan
HimsyPimsy wrote:

Yeah, it's still emulated.  Even using a pro-sounded sgb wouldn't work, because the rom is dumped to the retron, and runs from there.

Has this been tested with a prosound SGB?

Abandoned on Fire
katsumbhong wrote:
HimsyPimsy wrote:

Has this been tested with a prosound SGB?

I won't work because the only time the cart hardware is accessed is when the rom is dumped to the retron's memory.  After that everything happens from the retron's software.  The carts act as dongles, essentially.

Chicago, IL

http://www.hdretrovision.com/snes/

I'll just leave this here.

Riverside, CA

http://www.libretro.com/index.php/retro … iolations/

I'll also leave this here.

Chicago, IL

I was really psyched about the retron5, but now I'm psyched about this!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ro … escription

https://beatscribe.wordpress.com/2015/0 … o-emulate/

Its just a Pi inside you so could do your own mods pretty easily.