Hi, I'm very new to chiptunes, but i thought i'd try it, so i downloaded milkytracker and gave it a whirl. I have no problems with using the software, but i cannot get my first song past a very basic bassline and some basic drums. I'm trying to come up with a melody, or really anything else, but i don't know how to take a thought and transfer it from my brain to the computer. any advice, help, tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

NC in the US of America

Hum along to it until you find something that fits nicely

Illinois

Just try different things until it sounds good. Maybe pick up a guitar or your musical instrument of choice and play along. If none of that works, take a break and come back to it later.

West Yorks, UK

start with something other than the bassline!

Finland

Yes I find personally that starting with a bassline is a pretty tough way to go. Even though the bass is the back of the song, the shoulders on which the other things stand on, it's a ton easier making a melody first and supplementing that with a bassline, cuz then you already know what scale you're using and it makes it a lot easier to gauge the direction it needs to move in (style, basically.)

I do start with the bassline sometimes, but that's pretty rare. smile

So in short: What Domu said.

West Yorks, UK

I always start with ambience / chords or a beat, always.
Pheldagriiff is an awesome name, but you know its the gayest Hippo ever right? Pygmy hippo kicks its purple ass wink

thank you very much everyone. I appreciate all the advice, and will try again with this in mind. wish me luck

England

there is lots of great music that is just bassline and beats. just make it a mean bassline and roll with it.