SLC, UT

Well this is pretty stupid. I followed thretris and low-gain's tutorials, but it won't work. When I plug headphones in, the sound to my TV cuts out but all I hear is a low buzz. The buzz does change slightly depending on game interactions (opening the menu in Pokemon) but still no sound. I've checked my joints on both sides, checked for continuity, tried a different pair of headphones, even re soldered just for kicks and all nothing. So that's why I'm posting here, I've done everything I can think of!

My questions are:
1) Could the gauge of my wire cause problems? I don't actually know the exact gauge. It's probably bigger than I'd like, but not unnecessarily big. I've used it on ness audio mods no problem.

2) I'm testing it outside of the case. Just a bare PCB in the SNES. Could this be a problem? I can't see why it would be, but my wisdom is not yet infinite.

3) Does any one have ideas as to why it's not working? I'd love to hear them!

Thanks guys!

Last edited by stargazer (Mar 8, 2013 6:45 pm)

SLC, UT

I know it's officially against the rules to bump stuff, but it looks like that's gone unpunished as of late. So BUMP!

Legitimately I did add pictures and apparently editing something doesn't bump it itself.

I resoldered the pcb joints today and still nothing. I even trimmed off some wire (I'm down to every extenuating circumstance at this point) and still nothing. Honestly at this point I care more just because there is no good reason this isn't working more than I want to just have a prosound SGB!

line level won't power headphones from an SGB. you'll need to put it into an amp or powered mixer to hear it.

Chicago
12ianma wrote:

line level won't power headphones from an SGB. you'll need to put it into an amp or powered mixer to hear it.

This.

I ran into the same problem trying to test SGB prosound directly to headphones resulting in nada nada

The prosound needs to be fed into an amplifier before it can be heard.

On a side note: Is anyone else's SGB prosound lacking significant audio signal from the right channel?
Or is it just mine hmm
Cause I've prosounded two SGBs but this seems unavoidable.

I've considered tracing the audio signal from the cpu to the heaphone jack in the original gameboy.
In theory putting the same kind of components in place to feed off of the SGB's cpu to make it so it doesn't have to be ran through an amplifier / an attempt to restore the right channel to what it is expected.

SLC, UT

Derp. Well. I'm glad it was an easy fix. That never crossed my mind. Totally makes sense now though.

Thanks though, I really appreciate it! I never would have thought to hook it up to my amp!

Matthew Joseph Payne
GoingHam wrote:

On a side note: Is anyone else's SGB prosound lacking significant audio signal from the right channel?
Or is it just mine hmm

Yes, I had the exact same problem. It was never more than a curiosity for me though, so I never put much time into a solution.

Might depend on where you ground it. mine has pretty equal stereo

SLC, UT

Where else would you ground it? That large pad is just so inviting. Is that where you grounded yours?

That large pas should be the best place to ground it, because the cartridge "get's" ground from the SNES thru the pins. And that pad is the closest to the pins you can ground it. All the ground areas seems to originate from this spot looking at the pictures.

Ideal electronics are on paper, quite different from real world effects.

Connecticut
kineticturtle wrote:
GoingHam wrote:

Or is it just mine hmm

Yes, I had the exact same problem. It was never more than a curiosity for me though, so I never put much time into a solution.

I was getting shit sound from the start, total tits up, my left channel was a bit worse though. Thought it was my wiring, but everything checked out. I replaced the caps and now it sounds great, no discernible difference between channels, maybe this will help you all as well.

Michigan

Your headphone jack looks more like a switched mono jack. Maybe I'm wrong.

NUMBSKULL
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Your headphone jack looks more like a switched mono jack. Maybe I'm wrong.

hahaha are you talking about mine? I didn't even realize I was the one that started this thread two years ago. Needless to say, my SGB prosound is working fine.

Michigan

Oh...so it is that old. Good on you anyway. tongue