(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j

Hey all!

I'm putting together a compo for charity under the compo production label "Bitopia" to be released in late December (around Christmas), with the deadline being December 24th.

The charity for this one will be "Charity: Water"
More info about their cause can be found at www.charitywater.org
It will be pay-what-you-want through Bandcamp.

The rules for this compo are simple:
- The song must be from the 80s!
- New songs ONLY
- Must be Chiptune (duh)
- No multiple submissions (collabs are allowed but that will be counted as one submission for each person)

The current list of songs (as of 9/16/15) taken are...
- Kate Wilde - "Kids in America" (Nanode)
- David Bowie - "Let's Dance" (Dream*Eater)
- Eurythmics - "Sweet Dreams" (2xAA)
- Devo - "That's Good" (catskull)
- Iron Maiden - "The Trooper" (NintenKwonDo!)
- The Cure - "Just Like Heaven" (DeerPresident)
- New Order - "Blue Monday"(Jamcloud7727)
- Kraftwerk - "Computer Love" (Alpine)
- Metallica- "Battery" (Dachampster)
- Nena - "99 Luftballons" (Onapokoya)
- Depeche Mode - "Leave In Silence" (gon_pulvo)
- Blondie - "Call Me" (bejd)
- John Parr - "St-Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion)" (n00bstar)
- Nine Inch Nails - "Sin" (Crayondroids)
- Michael Jackson - "P.Y.T" (flow mein)
- Rick Astley - "Never Gonna Give You Up" (Please Lose Battle)
- Beastie Boys - "Fight For Your Right (To Party)" (Doc Isaac)
- Erasure - "Oh L'amour" (Imaginary)
- The Clash - "Rock The Casbah" (Vellain)
- Phil Collins - "Take Me Home" (ovenrake)
- Cyndi Lauper - "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" (Laffe The Fox)
- Cybotron - "Clear" (Sudstep)
- Orchestral Manouvers In The Dark - "Enola Gay" (IBT)
The above will be updated with a date and time whenever another song is taken.

To join in fill out this Google Docs form!
http://goo.gl/forms/ApjADA3Nm4

EDIT:
If you are done with your track and you want to submit, fill out this form here!
http://goo.gl/forms/T2A7MtXrPG

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please send me an email at nanodemusic (at ) gmail (dot) com or reply directly in this thread!

Happy Chipping!
-Sam

EDIT: WE HAVE FOUND SOMEONE TO DO ART AND MASTERING!
n00bstar has graciously offered his services for this project! Big shoutout to him and his pals over at Cheapbeats! <3

EDIT:
Deadline has been pushed to the 24th!

Last edited by nanode (Dec 8, 2015 11:22 pm)

Melbourne

Haha, wow, I might actually get in on this—I've been thinking of doing a Depeche Mode cover for a while now.. I'll have to see if my vocal skills are up for it!

NUMBSKULL

I just submitted an application for That's Good by Devo. I started it for a Devo tribute compo forever ago that I don't think ever got released. This should give me a good reason to finally finish a song!

South Korea

Just for clarity, do you want remixes or covers? Id like to get in with some The Cure.

DeerPresident wrote:

Just for clarity, do you want remixes or covers? Id like to get in with some The Cure.

Doesn't matter! Just as long as it's fucking awesome and it's chiptune tongue

Atlanta, GA

I'm in! Doing Iron Maiden.

Also, just want to point out, make sure you have permission from the artist to actually cover the song.

NUMBSKULL
nanode wrote:

Also, just want to point out, make sure you have permission from the artist to actually cover the song.

BRB calling Mark Mothersbaugh to make sure he's cool with it

catskull wrote:
nanode wrote:

tongue

I just wanna make sure we don't get a cease and desist on the first go

Atlanta, GA
catskull wrote:
nanode wrote:

The 8bit Operators pulled off a whole compilation. I think we're ok.

Ninten Kwon Do wrote:
catskull wrote:

Oh haha tongue

I guess we'll be ok then tongue

I'm still learning, but it'd be great to try and make a track. I'm thinking Egyptian Lover....

Jamcloud7727 wrote:

I'm still learning, but it'd be great to try and make a track. I'm thinking Egyptian Lover....

Go for it! Everyone is welcome!

IL, US
Ninten Kwon Do wrote:
catskull wrote:

Jeremy spends a good amount of money clearing the rights for each 8bit operators compilation on top of just asking for permission

Atlanta, GA
e.s.c. wrote:
Ninten Kwon Do wrote:

Jeremy spends a good amount of money clearing the rights for each 8bit operators compilation on top of just asking for permission

What a cool dude! I guess I'll have to find a way to get in touch with Iron Maiden.

Montreal, Canada
nanode wrote:

It's a lot more complicated than just asking when we're talking about established musicians unfortunately. A lot of songs rights are owned by the publishers or performing rights agencies and not the artists themselves. They are usually 100% unwilling to just "give permission" and will instead demand to be paid. Some songs are available for mechanical licensing, which costs around 10$ for the license and then around 8 cents royalty per copies sold. If the songs is not available for mechanical licensing, you need to deal with the publisher directly and it will be a similar process with similar costs.

So let's say your compilation has 10 songs, and all songs are up for mechanical licenses. You need to pay 100$ upfront for licensing costs, and then pay advance royalties on an estimated number of sales. So let's say you sell 1000 copies, that will be about 8 cents X 10 songs X 1000 copies = 800$ to distribute to various agencies and publishers. So all in all, for an estimated 1000 sale of a 10 song album, you're looking at a 900$ investment.

Since the artists participating in this compilation are doing it for free/charity and this will be sold through your bandcamp page, you're the one who is dealing with all monetary aspects of this. Thus, it should be you who is in charge of securing rights and paying the appropriate entities to make sure the whole thing goes off without a hitch.

On that note, if I were you I would wait until you get a finished song before hunting for rights. There are always a few people who are not able to deliver their song for various reasons so you don't want to pay for licenses that are not going to be used.

Since you're aiming at a charity, you might be able to get a few songs (or all, if you're lucky) for free if you present your project to the publishers properly. You'd need to put together a little document and make your case.

Anyways. Just my two cents. Or you can do what most people do and just release the songs because "this is just chipmusic" and all.

That said. I think I'm gonna hop on this particular bandwagon. There's more than a few 80s songs I've been itching to chip-cover. I'll fill out the form.