Portland, OR

https://tonightwelaunch.bandcamp.com/al … astic-punk

1XLSDJ + guitar. Check it out!

Also, I want to come play these and other songs live basically anywhere!

NC in the US of America

This really picks up at track 2. I enjoyed listening. Cool stuff.
I really liked the bridge in track 3, too. The change from power chords took me by surprise, hehe. I wasn't expecting that from this type of music. Good stuff.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Sep 16, 2015 9:32 pm)

Portland, OR
SketchMan3 wrote:

This really picks up at track 2. I enjoyed listening. Cool stuff.
I really liked the bridge in track 3, too. The change from power chords took me by surprise, hehe. I wasn't expecting that from this type of music. Good stuff.

thanks!

Whateverville, California

Nicely done. Some of the song titles remind me of None More Black. I hear Famitracker and LSDJ at work here, were any other trackers used?

Portland, OR

Hey thanks. I'll take the None More Black thing as a compliment for sure.

I actually only used LSDJ for this! Out of curiosity, which one(s) do you think sound like FamiTracker?

Whateverville, California

File Under Black was a great album, the followups got a little too meandering and eventually self indulgent, but hey, they were cool while they lasted. I saw them on the tour for the previously mentioned record and they were airtight.

So anyway, where I was hearing the phantom Fami was 1. A triangle waveform used in some songs, (I can go back and listen again to pinpoint it), probably set to manual? 2. Lots of the noi drums have a crunchy fami feel. Do you use a lot of S commands in tables for your drum work? That can emulate adjusting the arp envelope on the fami instrument editor in LSDJ. (Being analogous and all, haha.) 3. Some squares ringing out on some 4th octave notes on "LOLcat".

It's mixed pretty tightly, so sometimes the droning of heavily distorted guitar blends seamlessly with the low end of the gameboy sounds. A nice effect in many ways considering the oft made plea "How do I make chip + guitar not sound completely unnatural?", but it also makes it hard to pick out the bassy side of things without careful listening. Keep in mind I'm listening through meh-tier laptop speakers. I'll play the EP through my stereo when I get home. Again, great work in general though.

Portland, OR

Oh yeah, a lot of times unless I'm going for a different sound, I set the WAV bass to emulate the NES's triangle channel as much as possible, just because I love that sound.

For the drums, I actually haven't managed to make original drums I've liked with S commands. I may have stolen a patch with some S-commands for one song (I forget without looking at it) but most of those are actually just quick transpositions down in the first 3 rows, to get that "thwack!" sound. The ringing squares are just various table commands that again, I forget off the top of my head without my setup in front of me. I think the main riff uses a lot of transpositions and panning, all in tables. (I put that song together like a year ago and have been mainly focusing on recording and mixing since, haha.)

I do use FamiTracker and want to incorporate it into my set, but I'm still way more proficient with LSDJ. I have to always have multiple windows open to look up commands and stuff when I'm working in FT.

Anyway thanks again for the kind words!

Last edited by jerkemy (Sep 18, 2015 7:28 pm)