The Netherlands

He guys

I'm about to finish up my first "chiptune" album....only the thing is...I don't know if I can actually call it that.

You see, I've used real guitars, drums (real and 808) and bass in combination with chip sounds/drums (Ploque and YMCK mainly).

Basically it's a sort of pop/dance album where the NES takes the lead haha, but can you call it a chiptune album or is it something like hybrid chip???

If you could reply, that would be quite awesome since I'm about to release it within 2 weeks and don't want to call it something it's not haha smile.

Thanks guys

Spain

hmmm, listen to Anamanaguchi, they produce their music with nes sounds but also with guitars and real drums (not always), but their genre is chiptune, so I think you can correctly say chiptune is the genre of your album

hope it can be useful, cool heart

Loads of people are producing 'chipmusic' that has absolutley nothing to do with retro soundchips. Chiptune is whatever the hell you want it to be.

IL, US

i'd say that chiptune or chipmusic isn't really a genre anyway... for purposes of this site, music that has chip elements (even emulated) or with sample based trackers is generally considered fair to upload or post about on here (exceptions exist, but are more along the lines of someone doing something where any chip elements are very minor, not just that you used other instruments along with it)...

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Nobody can define if a song is chiptune, rap, techno, classical, etc; only by reading the instruments used to make it. Listening to it is absolutely necessary.
The "chiptune label" is something you win after portamenting, arpegging and noise drumming a lot of mathematical waveforms until ~75% says: "Wow, this chiptune rocks!"

EDIT: In other words, where's the link to the album? big_smile

Last edited by Delek (Sep 14, 2015 7:32 pm)

Chicago IL

you can't chip with us

The Netherlands

Haha thanks guys

Yeah im quite new to THE genre so i was wondering but iTS cool to Read that I can still call iT a chiptune album haha. IVe mainly played in bands and wrote creepy silent hill like stuff (also tributes for Allison road smile) so this is quite the changeover for me.

I will release it within 2 weeks I guess so, I'll be sending the link to you guys if interested smile.

The wisest thing would be to post it in the release section I guess?

Sorry for the noob stats haha and again thanks for the replies and info smile.

Last edited by Gepsjors (Sep 14, 2015 8:54 pm)

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:50 pm)

IL, US

i'd just post it in the releases... from the description, its chip enough that no one will mind (at least no one who matters)

The Netherlands

Thanks I'll do that.

Hopefully back ASAP to post it haha.

It's free ofcourse so I hope you all like it.

Thanks again

The Netherlands

Thanks I'll do that.

Hopefully back ASAP to post it haha.

It's free ofcourse so I hope you all like it.

Thanks again

Gepsjors wrote:

I'm about to finish up my first "chiptune" album....only the thing is...I don't know if I can actually call it that.
You see, I've used real guitars, drums (real and 808) and bass in combination with chip sounds/drums (Ploque and YMCK mainly).

i think, by all means, you can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcnrtikSfgM

The Netherlands

For those still interested here is the link to my first album called "Bits&Bones".

Hope you all like it smile

https://tan00ki.bandcamp.com/releases