New York City

EXCELLENT development!

philly
nitro2k01 wrote:

I've now added the player to chipmusic.org. Feel free to try it out. Remember that it's still an alpha version.

Annnnnd a useful implication of the flash NSF player has already shown itself. Good work. smile

Here's a track I put up-
http://chipmusic.org/bucky/music/the-ex … l-area-bgm

Last edited by bucky (May 17, 2010 10:50 pm)

Chicago IL

aw man, the one nsf i uploaded is vrc7

U.S./Canada

I just found out that the blargg libs currently do not support MMC5 or VRC7, however VRC6, Namco, and FME-7 are supported as well as DPCM.

I've got a post in over as nesdev and we'll see if we can somehow get support for these other chips.

I've got NSFE's loading and playing locally here, but I don't have the track info integrated in yet.

Stay tuned.

you da man p1xl

any chance for the .fla so I could customise and potentially add a Audio Spectrum for a visualiser?
big_smile

U.S./Canada

@Flopps There is no .FLA It's written in straight AS3 and developed in FlashDevelop.  The build process is complicated too as it requires installing adobe alchemy and compiling the playback libs from command line using Cygwin.  I may release the source at some point, but right now I'm really enjoying working on the project myself and would like to keep creative control of it for the time being.  Maybe when it gets to a solid v1.0.  I have added a visualizer to the list now, thanks for the idea! smile

More progress with NSFE, all file information is properly parsed.   I'm still pondering how to lay it all out in the UI without it looking like WinAmp on your web page.

Last edited by p1xl (May 19, 2010 6:30 am)

philly
p1xl wrote:

More progress with NSFE, all file information is properly parsed.   I'm still pondering how to lay it all out in the UI without it looking like WinAmp on your web page.

If you wanted to keep the display simple and continue to leave out the lesser important stuff (artist and copyright fields*) like you're already doing, you could simply add the track name immediately after the Game/ NSF titles.

Example:
Mega Man III - Snake Man
|< -- > -- || -- >|

It might even be a good idea for normal NSFs anyways, like
Mega Man III - Track 7
|< -- > -- || -- >|

*The reason I'd be a proponent of omitting these two fields is because I think they're rendered as far less important when a file is embedded as flash.

Here's why- that information can be handy when an NSF is all by itself, but when online, it's already likely that a track will be linked or attributed to an artist somewhere external (like an artist's page on chipmusic, for example). It'd be redundant to have a field that says "bucky" if I have my own page up somewhere. The one exception I see to this, however, is game soundtracks. For those it might be nice to see the composer... ack well I'll let you decide what you want to do for that.

As far as copyright goes, that's a pretty ill-conceived field to begin with. Copyright can and should be something a lot more specific than a year and a publisher or developer. It would've been smarter if NSFs had 3 different fields for Year, Developer(s), and Publisher(s). Plus when a file is embedded, it'd be smarter to have a CC license up anyways. I don't think it's the responsibility of the player itself to vaguely define copyright, so that's one field I definitely wouldn't feel bad about leaving out. smile

Anyways, just some more ramblings, I'll be happy with whatever you do I'm sure!

Last edited by bucky (May 19, 2010 8:04 pm)

U.S./Canada

Thanks for the ideas, bucky, I've worked them in. 

Ok, big look-n-feel update.  Colors and buttons sizes are now configurable.  Also NSFE display of track names, and playlists are included, but the player doesn't yet honor the NSFE play/fade times (still loops each track forever).

Still no time for documentation yet, but you can see the new params if you view source.

http://p1xl.com/fun/flashnsf/

philly
Battle Lava wrote:

you da man p1xl

astral cat

looks fresh, i posted this project on my nes-a-day.tumblr.com let me know if you want anything changing ect smile

U.S./Canada

Thanks, an-cat-max! Looks fine to me smile

astral cat

gdgd smile

philly

Ah I noticed one thing with the normal NSF track display- it starts with "Track 0".
All or most other NSF players will call the first track "Track 1", so this could lead to some confusion if people are discussing a particular tune.

U.S./Canada

Heh, I guess my programmer genes are showing..  Fixed it.  Thanks!

U.S./Canada

Woot! NSFEs now play for their set time, fade out and then play moves to the next track.  I also added some options for default play/fade times for NSF files too (see source).

I also found out that there is an unreleased version of GME (the playback routines I'm using) that supports MMC5, VRC7, and FDS!  See the discussion: http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=6396

I'm still waiting on a reply, but it looks promising.

Last edited by p1xl (May 21, 2010 4:28 pm)