West Yorks, UK

If i were Neil Baldwin, I'd be crying at how many hours i'd put into coding such an awesome tool, with so few (I.E fucking noone) actually using it and showing off.

To rememdy this, and to celebrate Neils incredible work, i'll set a compilation.

Deadline: December 1st

Theme: Use PR8, whether straight, sampled or as an accompaniment, try to make the use of pr8 obvious (no sampling one tone and making the track in Cubase / Live for example, though using such softwares is not discouraged, just make pr8 obviously the star of the show.... and if its not obvious, make some kind of video / explanations of your usage of the software)

Perhaps voting style set up, if contributors would like that, with a £5 (GBP) reward for the winner, from me, and a £5 dontation to Neils Charity of choice ( I know he likes to have peeps donate to his prefferred charity, than to him, so lets go with that) , as a big thankyou for the awesomeness of the ware.

Suggestions welcomed, have a nice day, folks!

West Yorks, UK

people can obviously add to my meagre reward of £5 to the winner, and £5 to the maker, by donating at https://www.justgiving.com/Neil-Baldwin/

Griffintown, Montréal, Québec

YES! I'm in. If anyone is curious, here is what I've done with it so far.

https://toycompany.bandcamp.com/track/pr8d

I agree, very under used and amazingly deep.
Nice jam XC3N, I wish I had more time, I would enter too.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd be interested in looking at this again. I remember at the time I last checked it out it was finicky about emulators and sav files or something like that. What are you folks using to run it? Does it work well with a Powerpak?

Abandoned on Fire

I support this and agree that it's a shame Neil's work isn't spotlighted more often.

NEStopia is the emu of choice for all of his software.  It has the proper sav size etc.

LINK: http://nestopia.sourceforge.net/

I run it on a powerpak

there were a couple of bugs which I reported and got fixed. I think right now some might experience a tuning bug (it might just be me being crazy) on NTSC.

afaik it works well on nestopia as well

the finickiness is that is uses custom sav files which are only supported by netsopia and powerpak, iirc

Domu I'm doing a set tonight and you inspired me to bring the NES along for the sole purpose of playing that one PR8 song hehe

Clermont-Ferrand, France

Count me in !
I've been playing with the PR8 for a while, and I agree that this incredible tool and his creator don't get the credit they deserve.

Clermont-Ferrand, France

Playing it on a cartridge made by Ninstrument btw

Alive and well in fucksville
XC3N wrote:

YES! I'm in. If anyone is curious, here is what I've done with it so far.

https://toycompany.bandcamp.com/track/pr8d

holy crap. that is cool. good job!

sweden

I really need to pick up a powerpak!

Are any of the 3DS emulators adequate enough for PR8?   I know LSDJ is a little finicky still.

You'd have to try the 3DS emulator but afaik only nestopia had it's code modified to accomodate the custom maper/custom save file format

more PR8, me remixing Neil's demo track for the new SPD range I had requested

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/200 … C3N%29.mp3

West Yorks, UK
XC3N wrote:

Domu I'm doing a set tonight and you inspired me to bring the NES along for the sole purpose of playing that one PR8 song hehe

Yoan, Glad to hear that!

and everyone else; Awesome; lets get shit together!
I am using ninstrument cart, for what its worth, wanting a powerpak to rock pulsar, SMMM and the rest (except NTRQ, cannot get mah head round it at all; though i can see some users not understanding PR8 without a deep knowledge of sequencers / grooveboxes in general, maybe htis is why theres so little love for PR8?)

Anyway, my net access/ data is super limited ATMl i'll look forward very much to listening to the posted tracks, and your entries, when I get the chance / access!

ROCK IT!

I've always attributed the lack of success to the fact that mostly all NES composers are using Famicom and are really satisfied/lazy wink

PR8 offers unique features that would be HELL to program in famitracker, this is where it shines! Mostly this is found in the Echo feature and the voice stealing: each of PR8's "track" can use as many channels as it wants. there are 6 tracks and they steal channels from each other in a given order of priority.

The thing is: YOU HAVE TO READ THE MANUAL. PR8 is heavily influenced by the Elektron sequencers, which have a reputation for their learning curve. The whole point is of course to think differently, and thus produce different things!

don't wait until the last minute or you will not get shit done wink read the manual twice, have a few dates with your NES just fucking around... it's worth it!

XC3N