gerth wrote:

hey, just found this thread here, just wanted to tell you about the demo video i made of kerberos running cynthcart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhM41ESLj6I

it's a very versatile module smile

Thank you for this!  Excited now more than ever!!!

London, UK

i can not wait for this to arrive....

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Any hands on reviews? Would like to hear how people like it.
  Kick starter is done, and it's open for regular sales now, but no indications of the shipping lead time.
Yogi

Dallas, Texas

I was a fund supporter and I got mine in a while ago, but to be honest I have not fired it up yet.

I plan to finally check out SID Wizard and MIDI capable Cynthcart will be fun!

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
TylerBarnes wrote:

I was a fund supporter and I got mine in a while ago, but to be honest I have not fired it up yet.

I plan to finally check out SID Wizard and MIDI capable Cynthcart will be fun!

Yes, looking forward to see the changes and handling of Cynthcart smile I went ahead and ordered it, hoping it won't take too long to get here smile
Yogi

From: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic … Xth6L7X45M :
These are the Cynthcart CC commands:
0 filter resonance
1 filter cutoff
2 sound mode
3 fx mode
4 attack
5 release
6 pulse width
7 volume
8 tremolo level
9 tremolo rate
13 waveform all voices
14 waveform voice 2 only
15 waveform voice 3 only

Dallas, Texas

is anyone else getting weird wrong tunings in cynthcart? I am.... makes it kinda useless to use cynthcart... Shame. If anyone has an updated or fixed midi compatible version they could send me, that would be sweet.

EDIT: Ok now I'm wondering if I got a bogus cart... some software won't load properly and cynthcart freezes when I send it a midi signal. Tested on multiple machines.

Last edited by TylerBarnes (Aug 27, 2015 9:25 am)

New Zealand

My kerberos cynthcart was out of tune and crashing as well. They provided an updated version on the main Kerberos pages here

http://www.frank-buss.de/kerberos/index.html

As well as a new Kerberos app.

I found my crashes were caused in part by cubase sending MIDI Time code for all destinations to the interface. I believe this has now been fixed in the version uploaded to the Kerberos page.

There is a slightly newer Cynthcart version that I was sent to do testing with (1.5.1c), I can check with Frank/Paul if it is okay to pass this version on

Milwaukee, WI

Can any of you seem to get the following to work with Kerberos/SID Wizard? I need your assistance.

- Kerberos properly syncing SID Wizard with an external MIDI clock. (Starts/stops - not very well - but no actual sync. What's the point?)

- Loading songs/instruments into SID Wizard when starting SID Wizard from program slot 3 in Kerberos menu. (You still have to use a 1541 to save/load.)

- Loading instruments properly from virtual disk #2 when starting SID Wizard from the Kerberos file directory function. (It seems this is the only way for SID Wizard to load songs/instruments directly from Kerberos, but this eliminates the SID Wizard autoboot function of Kerberos and instruments seem corrupt anyway.)

Milwaukee, WI

I may have a fix...testing.

Last edited by TSC (Sep 10, 2015 5:45 pm)

Dallas, Texas

I contacted Frank and he's been helping me get my cart updated. Got the in tune version of cynthcart 1.5.1c from him.

I received my Kerberos yesterday. Managed to get it working close-to-perfect, but not all the way to goal. My remaining problem is that some note on/note off events are missed. This goes for two different midi keyboards (Roland A300 Pro and MicroKORG XL) combined with all the midi enabled applications on the cart as well as Station 64. Sid wizard too, even with the NameSoft device emulation enabled. Same result on my C128DCR as well as my C64 Reloaded.

When playing the keyboards, most of the note events are received and correctly processed. I can play melodies and chords. But, approximately one out of 50 events are missed, making it unsuitable for performance.

Anyone else suffering from this?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
johey wrote:

I received my Kerberos yesterday. Managed to get it working close-to-perfect, but not all the way to goal. My remaining problem is that some note on/note off events are missed. This goes for two different midi keyboards (Roland A300 Pro and MicroKORG XL) combined with all the midi enabled applications on the cart as well as Station 64. Sid wizard too, even with the NameSoft device emulation enabled. Same result on my C128DCR as well as my C64 Reloaded.

When playing the keyboards, most of the note events are received and correctly processed. I can play melodies and chords. But, approximately one out of 50 events are missed, making it unsuitable for performance.

Anyone else suffering from this?

I have the same issue but far, far less common. One in every thousand note-off events are missed but I've set a button on my keyboard to kill all notes in case that does happen during a performance.

Are you using a very long midi cable, a passive midi-thru box or anything else that might cause more events than normal to fail?

jefftheworld wrote:

Are you using a very long midi cable, a passive midi-thru box or anything else that might cause more events than normal to fail?

Thank you for replying! Good suggestions with long cable. I was actually using 5 meters. Though it has to be it! Tried with a 1 meter cable. Played some. Still the same. sad Directly connected from keyboard to Kerberos.

If it was 1 of 1000 notes I would also accept a panic button, but this is far too frequent to be usable.

I might need to test a few more keyboards. The MicroKORG XL works much better than the A-300 Pro. With the later, I cannot manage to send chords. I can send polyphonic events, but only if I press the keys one by one, keeping hold of each key. Pressing down several at once results in one single note. This goes for the Kerberos only and not other instruments. With the MicroKORG XL I can play chords. So in some way the Kerberos has to be more sensitive than other devices. I have four other different midi keyboards to try with (Minibrute, Yamaha YS-200, Akai MPK 61 and E-Mu E-Synth). I also have two different active midi routers/splitters I can try.

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
johey wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Thank you for replying! Good suggestions with long cable. I was actually using 5 meters. Though it has to be it! Tried with a 1 meter cable. Played some. Still the same. sad Directly connected from keyboard to Kerberos.

If it was 1 of 1000 notes I would also accept a panic button, but this is far too frequent to be usable.

I might need to test a few more keyboards. The MicroKORG XL works much better than the A-300 Pro. With the later, I cannot manage to send chords. I can send polyphonic events, but only if I press the keys one by one, keeping hold of each key. Pressing down several at once results in one single note. This goes for the Kerberos only and not other instruments. With the MicroKORG XL I can play chords. So in some way the Kerberos has to be more sensitive than other devices. I have four other different midi keyboards to try with (Minibrute, Yamaha YS-200, Akai MPK 61 and E-Mu E-Synth). I also have two different active midi routers/splitters I can try.

Just some general thoughts to keep in mind. Some of this you may already know.
   The Kerberos midi is just a UART mapped to memory, the C64 softs do all the heavy lifting. Depending on the software, incoming midi events are detected either by polling or an interrupt, at which point the CPU runs the code to decode the current byte and decide if it's  the end or part of a current message or the start of a new one. My point is for each and every event there are clock cycles needed to process the midi.
  What can happen is the receiver code can get swamped by heavy traffic on the bus, I.E a sequencer sending to multiple synthesizers.
  It sounds like you are just directly connecting a KB to the cart, so sending NOn/NOff messages on one channel. which shouldn't be overloading the system, but some KBs use active sensing which sends lots of messages just to say 'I'm here'. There can also be Realtime clock messages sent if using Rhythm or Accompaniment features.
  If you have MidiOx you can see what is being sent by your KB, and filter some of it.
  Anyway, I don't know if any of this applies in your case.
Yogi

Yogi: It very much might do. If I print the midi data using the midi test in Kerberos, both my keyboards continuously send $fe or something similar. I've tried to disable that but not succeeded. I will try some more and experimenting with different keyboards and perhaps combine with routers or something.