Whateverville, California

Well, it's been an interesting month to say the least, but here we are, and here's the comp:

DOWNLOAD THE MIXTAPE!

Please inform me of any errors that you might find in spelling, punctuation, title, credit, etc.
Also, something that was unfortunately called to my attention during this process; if you hear your music, or music that you recognize as that of another artist with the wrong name attached, inform me asap. I haven't heard every obscure demoscene comp or mid-2000's LSDJ ep out there, so fill me in if there seems to be something fishy.

Putting that aside, listen to the comp for happiness and excitement!

Read the .txt for more fun and enjoyment!

We did it together.

- Imaginary

----------

I have an idea. The title really says it all. I want to curate an open (web based) mixtape featuring music made in 2015. Also, reading the "Can I interview you?" thread was pretty interesting. I feel like people are looking for an outlet to express themselves outside of music 'round here. Therefore the tape will include a written portion. It'd be best if it included notes on the song, (Gear/recording process maybe? We all like that stuff.), and why you chose it to represent your output in 2015, but there are no rules regarding this part of the entry except for general content, etc. Use your judgement.

Anyone can contribute as long as:
1. The music includes elements of chip/tracking/vintage electronics/etc. and is an original work created in 2015. (No covers please.)
2. You provide original text to accompany the song.

Since there are no physical copies planned there will be no limit to submissions, but for general courtesy it would be best if the track you chose to submit not be overly long. That said, I'll take whatever you throw at me. The audio submissions will receive some very light mastering, (basically just volume normalization, so send tracks in the state you want them to appear on the finished product.), and then I'll assemble them into a track order. The text aspect of the project will be formatted into a .txt file and be bundled with the audio on the IOUT bandcamp.
Also, art? If you make art and would like to contribute album art, by all means do so.

Submissions go to: imaginary.chipmusic(at)gmail.com

Submissions close on January 1st 2016. (Submissions are closed.)

(Obviously the finished product will always be free.)
(Tracks submitted to this comp do not need to be exclusive.)
(Due to content concerns, text should be in English, please.)
(We'll all be happiest if tracks are submitted in 16b .wav format.)

Confirmed Submissions:

Ampliflyer
autobite
Back☆
BUS Blanchie
Conquer Monster
Drozerix
Feryl
Florian Olsson
Geech
Half A Person
hardmint
havocCc
Imaginary (It's me lol.)
Infodrive
irrlicht project
.keanu.
Lack Of Sound
Laffe the Fox
Marshall Art
NEON
Nostalgic Story
Paralax Sound Systems
Popsicle Theory
Power Supply
Sonus Silver
Sudstep
Yerzmyey
YukiKakushi

Last edited by Imaginary (Jan 30, 2016 11:19 pm)

So. California

This sounds very cool. Count me in.

ohgodno, Indiana

I'm always down for a compilation

Lack of Sound wrote:

Sweet. Let's do it.

b4by f4c3 wrote:

Hell yeah you are. You gonna do the KPR Christmas comp again this year?

nowhere in particular

Well count me in.

I've never been on a compilation before.

we're back & stuff
Imaginary wrote:
Lack of Sound wrote:

Sweet. Let's do it.

b4by f4c3 wrote:

Hell yeah you are. You gonna do the KPR Christmas comp again this year?

Yes!!! going to be announcing it soon! :3

Michigan

Yooooo I'm definitely into this. I'll get something hoppin' asap!

nstory wrote:

Well count me in.

I've never been on a compilation before.

Well there's a first time for everything. Give it your all!

b4by f4c3 wrote:

Yes!!! going to be announcing it soon! :3

Excellent. I think my track this year will be something really different.

infodrive wrote:

Yooooo I'm definitely into this. I'll get something hoppin' asap!

Rad man. You gonna do a new jam then?

Last edited by Imaginary (Oct 30, 2015 10:26 pm)

Michigan
imaginary wrote:

You gonna do a new jam then?

Ohhhhh yeah. I've got some ideas rattling around in my brain, so it should be interesting. At least one major-to-minor change up hahaha

Atlanta, GA

Yo I'm def down for this but I'm not sure I understand the written portion

Last edited by Ninten Kwon Do (Nov 1, 2015 3:51 am)

Uherský Brod, Czech republic

Great idea !!!
I go for it !!! Count with me !!! :-)

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Oct 11, 2021 7:35 pm)

Ninten Kwon Do wrote:

Yo I'm def down for this but I'm not sure I understand the written portion

Well, the written portion can be more or less whatever you want. You could approach it like a "What I did this summer vacation" type of essay about your year working on music, or you could talk about the technical details of the song you've submitted. You could write a poem or a short story. You could tell us about your cats.

Really the idea is to present a snapshot of what this community looks like at this moment in time. Kind of like an archival piece that later people can look back on that includes the (possibly) disparate, outlying voices that would be overlooked or not selected otherwise. The way that the "closed" comps work is great if you want a look at whatever the judges opinions tell you is good. (Which has worked great many times in the past, don't get me wrong.) But another view has value too. Maybe somebody feels like "My music is weak/bad/boring." Maybe it is. But it exists as an honest attempt at artistic expression, and is therefore valid and interesting to some degree. That's where the written aspect comes in. Even if you feel like you weren't able to get across what you wanted to say musically, you can have another chance to express yourself. (Or express yourself more fully, whatever.)

Salt Lake City, UT, USA

This is totally up my alley!  My band wrote a comic book to guide the concept and feeling of our album.  I'll write about this experience and submit a song.  Thanks for putting this together!

Lleida (Spain)

Yeah! Cool Idea Imaginary! ;-)

Atlanta, GA

sounds cool! Trying to decide if I wanna do a new track or use an old one. Maybe one from my upcoming EP