here is my Snes boy, its a snes wedged inside a gameboy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbruQBj61xc

also some internal pics too, including the amp which was harvisted from the original gameboy.

FERNDALE, MI, USA

DO WANT, except for the major lack of buttons. sad

Last edited by octavialsilver (Jan 10, 2010 8:43 pm)

New York City

That shit's ridiculous! How are you powering it? That screen looks good too. Can you give me some specs?

But you are missing like 4 buttons. Way to go tongue

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 10, 2010 8:49 pm)

don't worry, i have built an adapter that plugs into the back, and then you can plug a normal controller into it. in fact you can plug two controllers and some AV cables as well.

it works fine for bomber man and R type because they only use the A and B buttons anyway, but for more complex games you obviously have to plug in the controller.

i wanted to keep it looking like a gameboy, for stelth lol, but if i am like on a plane (which i am kinda often) then me and the gf can have battles on it with the controllers plugged in etc

FERNDALE, MI, USA
NeX wrote:

controllers!

right on, then no complaints here.

akira^8GB wrote:

That shit's ridiculous! How are you powering it? That screen looks good too. Can you give me some specs?

But you are missing like 4 buttons. Way to go tongue

its running off a 4.8 volt rechargable battery, this is only so i could get enough space in it to fit the main pcb, originally it was running off the normal 4 AA batteries. no magic tricks was uses, even tho the snes is 10 volts and the screen is 12, they both happly run off the AA batteries. just had to wire the power a bit further into the power regulators.

the screen is a cheap £10 from ebay, from hongkong, its a car dash screen, the reason i chose that one is because it was EXACTLY the right size, both for the screen of the gameboy, and the driver board is actually just wedged inside the gameboy it is so perfectly sized.

the Snes is an japanese snes mini, which i cut down A LOT! it took a lot of work because i had to keep checking it worked.

it uses the original gameboy regulator board to power the back light on the LCD and give a nice stable 5 volts to run everything off. the controller is the original gameboy screen PCB cut in half and then wired into the chip found in a cheap hong kong snes controller (you can see it glued into the front of the gameboy at the bottom)

octavialsilver wrote:
NeX wrote:

controllers!

right on, then no complaints here.

yep, i built the adapter into a gameboy 4 player adapter, but i have run out of male 25way connectors to finish it.

it has two snes sockets on it (in the right player positions as well) and then Phono sockets for video and audio

Last edited by NeX (Jan 10, 2010 9:07 pm)

Vancouver

...what is this I don't even

Melbourne, Australia

Very nice work, i love it.

Minneapolis

Cool job. I like your design. How are you protecting the ribbon cable going to the card slot? It looks like it could be a conspicuous point of failure. If that was my work, it'd probably be slathered in hot glue.

arfink wrote:

Cool job. I like your design. How are you protecting the ribbon cable going to the card slot? It looks like it could be a conspicuous point of failure. If that was my work, it'd probably be slathered in hot glue.

lol well it is full of hot glue on the inside, not sure what to do about the ribbon cable tho.... maybe a vacform plate?

the other problem is closing the thing too, the PCB takes up all the room so i cant have any screws going through it, so i am not sure what i can use....

lolusa
NeX wrote:

but if i am like on a plane (which i am kinda often) then me and the gf can have battles on it with the controllers plugged in etc

looks like a bomb.
good luck!

Quick Question

Was the board trimming as simple as just cutting unnecessary pieces or was rewiring involved?

Stan wrote:

Quick Question

Was the board trimming as simple as just cutting unnecessary pieces or was rewiring involved?

its been a while since i made it, i am pretty sure it was just cutting it down but i think i may have had to relocate some components and re route some tracks, but all easy stuff

))<>((

holy shit man! You are a goddamn genius! You do such awesome work.

Charlotte

yikes No comment yikes