NC in the US of America

tl;dr: Post your favorite clips, releases, videos, etc, of LSDj Keyboard playing big_smile

I've seen a few people talking about doing lsdj keyboard mods and such, but videos and audio clips of people actually using it to play music seems really hard to find. A brief youtube search seems to bring mostly "demos" of people playing random notes and changing parameters and such to show the functionality of it, as opposed to creating an actual musical performance. There must be more than "testing the lsdj keyboard mod" tech demos out there. Bring on the music! big_smile

NUMBSKULL

What's going on with those vocals? Is that super autotuned or some kind of talk box? Cool thread though. I doubt there's much actual music made with the keyboard.

Last edited by catskull (Nov 17, 2015 2:16 am)

Michigan

colonopenbracket was rad:

yeah i agree with that! there isn't enough actual playing and too much proof of concept videos. i guess people find it easier to build something than to use it. i find myself a victim of that often!

I used to have one back when lsdj was in the early 4.x versions. but it was so incredibly unstable. i built myself a new one now and tested it and it seems to be a lot more solid so that's good.

I never really saw its potential other than novelty until i started expanding my live set to include stuff other than the GB, so right now i have a volca sample that i'll be experimenting with running along with the GB. initially i wanted to make me an arduinoboy and run mGB, but i'm a sucker for lsdj tables.
So i'm planning on playing melodies on the gameboy live and recording them using loopy HD on my ipad (only sampling/looping thing i have) while im jamming on the volca sample.
Id like to also get a TR-8 and volca bass for a complete setup and make the gameboy just a small part of a bigger setup rather than the sole focus.

I'll be experimenting with that setup soon (once i buy new batteries) and will be uploading some vids.

NC in the US of America
catskull wrote:

What's going on with those vocals? Is that super autotuned or some kind of talk box?

From the comments section:
"It's actually a hardware vocoder with a gameboy hooked up to it.  The gameboy is running lsdj (music sequencer that runs on a gameboy) and I've programmed in vocal melodies and effects that I sing over. It's synced with the other gameboys so they all run at the same time and the vocals come in exactly where I want. Didn't use any software (unless you count lsdj) it's all generated on gameboys smile -MattGraveyTrain  "

Pretty cool big_smile

san diego

here me playing the gameboy like a mpc.
triggering the samples i loaded into it.

i use this when i play live for when im changeing programs on my mpc1000

http://shootyourfuckingheadoff.tumblr.c … 5141245383

sorry about the crappy filming. its hard to film with one hand and turn on and plug in the dmg!

Last edited by tenshun (Nov 18, 2015 9:32 pm)

tenshun wrote:

sorry about the crappy filming. its hard to film with one hand and turn on and plug in the dmg!

that's pretty dope i have to admit! curious about those samples, would love to know more info on this.

also i have a question, is there any way i can get lsdj keyboard to play PU1 and 2 simultaneously? i want to play a phasing sound by detuning PU1 vs PU2. works great in normal composition mode. would love to figure out a way to get it to play with the keyboard.

san diego
theskyis256k wrote:
tenshun wrote:

that's pretty dope i have to admit! curious about those samples, would love to know more info on this.

thanks! alot of my music is sample based! so when i figured you can patch your own samples in lsdj
i was on it.
the limited sample time per bank makes it fun and you gotta be pretty clever on what you want on each kit.
also to make it react quick when you touch the keyboard i set the groove to 1/1

https://github.com/jkotlinski/lsdpatch/releases

NC in the US of America
theskyis256k wrote:

also i have a question, is there any way i can get lsdj keyboard to play PU1 and 2 simultaneously? i want to play a phasing sound by detuning PU1 vs PU2. works great in normal composition mode. would love to figure out a way to get it to play with the keyboard.

That would be a pretty awesome function and open up lots of doors for interesting tones for performance ;O

Salt Lake City, UT, USA

It's hard to see, but I'm playing my GBC in LSDJ Keyboard mode for this entire song.