Solar System

Big unknown to me is chipmusic / 8bit music scene in Asia.
Are there any active artists? Can you recommend me some websites, facebook, soundcloud etc etc???
Are there any events, festivals there?

Melbourne, Australia

Square Sounds Tokyo! Biggest chip event in Japan.

South Korea
Calavera wrote:

Square Sounds Tokyo! Biggest chip event in Asia.

Japan has some of the best artists in the scene (chibitech, NNNNNNNNNNNNN, Toriena, USK/BSK, Kplekraft), and plenty of gigs. Korea has me, and I suck. There might be some Koreans, but they remain hidden. Some other countries in Asia have small scenes that seem to be intertwined with either the EDM or rock/metal scenes. Good luck finding any Asian city more active than Tokyo.

Taichung, Taiwan

Taiwan's chiptune scene is largely non-existent in what I feel is due to a huge emphasis on school and education.

Music equipment such as mixers, synthesizers and turntables are marked up due to them not having a market for it here.

Any "retro" consoles are shipped here from Japan. Very few retro gamers and due to lack of space, when a new console generation comes out, most people sell or get rid of the previous console.

Bonn, Germany

Artists from Asia I know are:
Doomcloud, chibi-tech, NNNNNNNNNN, Toriena, Omodaka, YMCK, Kplekraft, USK, Cheapshot (Japan)
Sulumi (China)

well that's it big_smile

YMCK also happen to have created a super sweet 8-Bit VST known as the magical8bitplug.
Other than that, and the Square Sound Festival in Tokyo, I know pretty much nothing about the asian Chiptune scene hmm

Hope I could help smile

Aarhus, Denmark

Isn't A.M.U. from Asia too?

United States
Matej wrote:

Big unknown to me is chipmusic / 8bit music scene in Asia.
Are there any active artists? Can you recommend me some websites, facebook, soundcloud etc etc???
Are there any events, festivals there?

Yeah I was wondering about that too.

California

Japan has a very active scene and there's a lot of shows happening all the time, especially in Tokyo and Kyoto. Besides the Japanese chipartists already mentioned, here's some more that I like:

Robotprins (Swedish but lives in Japan)
Kunio
TQ-Jam
maak
hizmi
tappy

I don't know much about other countries in asia, but I heard like a year or two ago Indonesia has some sort of Gameboy scene as well.

Last edited by VCMG (Dec 6, 2015 2:07 pm)

BK
havocCc wrote:

Artists from Asia I know are:
Doomcloud

Sorry to be that guy but Doomcloud is actually from Connecticut - same guy as Radlib/Oxygenstar/Steady C/SadNES/Warez Waldo.