Hi everyone.
Just thought it would be interesting and perhaps fun to ask and share the following:
Who would you either name as your biggest personal influence in chip music, or who is someone you admire most for their expertise and talent? I don't mean as in trying to emulate someone, but as a favorite when you're in the mood to crank some chip, that go to artist....and WHY?

As for myself, it probably should've been Bit Shifter because back in November of 2009 is when I first discovered that people were using vintage hardware to make so called "chiptune", and while poking around on YouTube, I stumbled on a video of Bit Shifter mixing some raw techno shit on a pair of Gameboys and that boggled my mind, let alone sort of changed my life and i'll always appreciate him for that. Ironically though, once I started researching it and listening to alot of stuff from 8bitPeoples, the first thing I remember coming across that I was crazy about was a release from Yerzmyey called FREAKuencies, and when I first started dabbling with my own stuff via the Atari Music Network, we actually spoke on there and he was extremely kind. Never would've thought years later he'd remix one of my tunes. The man has been at it for so many years. So long story short, my choice is Yerzmyey. He's just incredible and I admire the fact he commands a small empire of hardware and software with so many styles and approaches.

Cheers.

Finland

Actually the four people that I first found that were true chiptune was Sabrepulse, Shirobon, Chipzel and a now abandoned alias Knuckle Joe.

Here are these kids(not being condescending. They were like 14-15 i think at the time so.. "kids") running around gameboys in hand making total bangers so I was MIND BLOWN and swore to myself that I was going to try making chiptunes on a gameboy some day. But at the time I was still a 9th/10th grade student with no money so I had no way of getting into it. Also didn't know LSDJ from a hole in the ground, just parsing their myspace didn't really give a lot of insight into what it was they were doing.

Time and time again I kept finding chipmusicians through myspace and just went on until I grew some brains and started researching it. smile

That's basically it. Now I've not met any one of the chipmusicians IRL but that doesn't matter. They've influenced me to no limit almost.

Last edited by my.Explosion (Dec 7, 2015 9:38 pm)

Bonn, Germany

Henry Homesweet for sure.
He was the reason I started producing chipmusic on my own (especially his song "Until I Sleep").
Every of his EP's has its very own unique sound and he is just so incredibly talented at what he's doing, no matter which device he uses.
He's also the kindest being I ever had the honor to meet and his live sets are far beyond mind-blowing!

UK

I like how although people/artists use similar programs/hardware to make music with, they all come out with completely different sounds and music to one another at the same time. Considering how limited and dated some programs are, it's still inspiring to see what people are doing today with using these programs and how they're approaching or utilising it to create new music with.

I personally think that it's just as important to also look outside the scope of chipmusic too, there's like a vast amount of history to electronic music just sitting there to be listened to.

Not chip though I thought I'd share this track by the producer Daniel Avery who has some really interesting music; how he's using sounds to create droned rhythmical patterns with - very similar to how Nanoloop can be used.

Recently found this label too called Strictly Rhythm from America which date back to the late 80's. They put out some great tracks that's worth a look at I think.

(Edit: - grammar)

Last edited by CS (Dec 7, 2015 9:11 pm)

Michigan

Dan McLay aka The J Arthur Keenes band blew my mind, and continues to blow my mind. He's my number one inspiration.

Melbourne

cTrix, because everything he's ever done just sounds so effortlessly amazing, and I've seen how he works, he really does make it seem so easy!

Salt Lake City, UT, USA

For me I think it was Kazuki Muraoka and Kenichi Matsubara.  My friend got Contra, Metal Gear and Simon's Quest for Christmas one year and fell in love with the music. Though I always liked the music on these games, I never thought much about chiptunes as a musical genre until I heard The Advantage.  Though they are not technically chiptune, they re-introduced me to the music I loved in my earlier years.  From here I looked into modern 8-bit artists and eventually started making my own chiptunes.

Last edited by dustfilledhobo (Dec 8, 2015 5:58 am)

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Oct 11, 2021 7:45 pm)

perth, WA

i can't only chose one. i have met and been inspired by so many lovely and talented chipsters that i would feel bad for not including all of them neutral

Chicago

Danimal Cannon's TED talk convinced me to try LSDJ instead of just using VSTs in a DAW. Also, he can really shred!

goto80 for writing lots of very cool and good chiptunes

and zan-zan-zawa-veia for being amazingly incredibly talented and also very human and funny and kind

Unsubscribe

Gandhi mostly

NUMBSKULL

herr_prof and saskrotch

California
pselodux wrote:

cTrix, because everything he's ever done just sounds so effortlessly amazing, and I've seen how he works, he really does make it seem so easy!

Same here. So many of his tracks have this infectious energy and vitality and they really do just sound like someone having tons of fun making great music. The fact that on top of that he's so versatile with so many different chip and non-chip platforms is really something impressive that you don't see very often.

Last edited by VCMG (Dec 8, 2015 5:46 am)

herr_prof wrote:

Gandhi mostly

tsk tsk https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/ … d-with-him

There's several names here I have not heard of or have listened to, and here I thought I was familiar with a fairly long list of names. This is good stuff folks smile

@QuietMind: absolutely great isn't it? I've shown that same video in recent times to friends of mine who don't understand this chip music thing i'm into.