UK

Hi.

I have a gig tomorrow and I'm in a pretty desperate situation - A backlight gameboy screen is broken and I wondered if this is at all possible to fix.

--

Whenever I put a cartridge into it, the Gameboy was so light that I couldn't even see the nintendo or lsdj screen load. Then suddenly it broke out into this image which you see above.

I wondered what would it take to replace the screen?  I don't really want to replace it completely - Would it be possible to insert a new screen?

Any replies would be really appreciated. - Thanks

Alive and well in fucksville

no

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Technically, yes. Realistically, no.

If you find a really good deal on a replacement LCD PCB, the swap would be easy, but you'll almost never see them for sale and replacing the LCD alone is very difficult (and you're even less likely to find the replacement part).

That said, game Boys are dirt cheap on the used market, so it'll be cheaper and easier to just buy a new one and, if you're really attached to the housing of the one you've got, swap the LCD PCB in.

UK
jefftheworld wrote:

Technically, yes. Realistically, no.

If you find a really good deal on a replacement LCD PCB, the swap would be easy, but you'll almost never see them for sale and replacing the LCD alone is very difficult (and you're even less likely to find the replacement part).

That said, game Boys are dirt cheap on the used market, so it'll be cheaper and easier to just buy a new one and, if you're really attached to the housing of the one you've got, swap the LCD PCB in.

Thanks for the reply, it looks like it would be easier/cheaper to just get a new console or swap the LCD/PCB in than to replace the LCD screen itself.

Last edited by CS (Dec 11, 2015 2:06 am)