Hey all!

On the NDS I really liked KORG DS10, and M01 was rather cool too.

Now on 3DS there seems to be 3 alternatives:

KORG DSN12
KORG M01D
Rytmik Ultimate

I tried both KORGs. But I thought they were only minor upgrades against the DS versions..

So I was wondering if anyone has tried Rytmik Ultimate? It seems like a very nice portable studio. Is it good? Can I do nice chiptunes on it? All comments are welcome smile

Michigan

It's definitely a huge improvement over the previous titles. It's sort of a tracker and a sequencer mixed into one. There's a bunch of chiptune sounds, and you can draw your own waves. There's a cloud feature where you can upload, download, and rate other songs.

Madriz, Supain

Is it worth the price?

Michigan
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

Is it worth the price?

Eh, honestly if you're asking yourself that, it probably won't be. I only bought it because I buy every music creation tool available on 3ds. 18 dollars is kinda steep, especially if you already have other options for making music. I just plan on using it for little sketches that I can remake on LSDJ later.

Madriz, Supain

Yeah i was considering it just for sketching on the train, but 18 euros is a LOT of money if its just gimmicky.
¿Can you use it for full songs? ie, has a playlist/song mode, unlimited patterns, etc

Michigan
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

Yeah i was considering it just for sketching on the train, but 18 euros is a LOT of money if its just gimmicky.
¿Can you use it for full songs? ie, has a playlist/song mode, unlimited patterns, etc

You can make full songs with it. You put together blocks of 4 beats and then string those together. Each block can have 4 instruments. It doesn't have unlimited patterns but it has enough that you won't run out any time soon.

SLC
Tao wrote:

Hey all!

I tried both KORGs. But I thought they were only minor upgrades against the DS versions..

being able to export to midi is a pretty major improvement for the M01D, although batch exporting would've made it much better.

Joliette, QC, Canada

Never tried Ultimate but I tried the Retrobits one and it is really cool !!!
Btw are you Tao from the Atari ST scene ?!

Tao wrote:

Hey all!

On the NDS I really liked KORG DS10, and M01 was rather cool too.

Now on 3DS there seems to be 3 alternatives:

KORG DSN12
KORG M01D
Rytmik Ultimate

So I was wondering if anyone has tried Rytmik Ultimate? It seems like a very nice portable studio. Is it good? Can I do nice chiptunes on it? All comments are welcome smile

KORG DSN-12 was not a minor upgrade, everything from storage in banks, patterns, files and sounds were quadrupled along with 3 FX channels.
KORG M01D is minor but had some very needed upgrades to interface and storage and 24 channels instead of 12, but the original version was only in japan.

As for RYTMIK ULTIMATE its great for people who can't handle DS-10 synthesizers, and people who are tired of the limitations the M01D has (missing porta slide and vibrato options). Also two ways you can make chiptune is by using the retrobits library with some nicely pick sounds, or using the DR.SYNTH wave synthesizer which can emulate nes, gameboy, game gear, sega master, TG-16, Virtual boy and SID music nicely if used properly.

Rythym Core Alpha 2 is pretty good too, but its interface takes a while to learn.

Last edited by drexegar (Dec 28, 2015 5:49 am)

Cookeville, TN

(Disclaimer: I've only tried Rytmik, Rytmik Retrobits, and Rytmik Rock Edition [what was I even thinking with that last one]. I don't know if they've made things better in Ultimate but I highly doubt it.)
I personally don't care for Rytmik that much. The interface is a bit lacking for me in terms of fine-tuning options and I'm not a fan of the "slide up and down to find the note you want" controls. It's kind of hard to explain to someone who hasn't seen it. It's basically like the switching from the Game Boy version of Nanoloop to the smartphone version. Having to use a touchscreen to slide it up and down to get to the note you want rather than using buttons is weird, man. And the touch screen controls are too sensitive. I have to move ever-so-slowly to get to the right note and if I don't hold the stylus in JUST the right way as I'm lifting up from the touch screen it thinks I'm still moving up or down and the note changes. I don't have it with me right now so I can't double check this right now but IIRC it doesn't even give you any indicator of what note you're even playing (like showing C, D, E, F, G, etc. when you're changing the note in nanoloop or having a piano roll to choose from in the KORG applications) unless you go to a separate screen entirely.
The whole process just didn't flow very well for me.
I personally prefer DSN-12 even though it's pretty expensive (though I think they're having a sale on it right now).
Rhythm Core Alpha looks interesting but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
KORG M01D is pretty neat, but I wish it had more options for effects and maybe a kaoss-ish screen like DSN-12 and DS-10 have. M01D alone just sounds too much like an auto-play midi I'd hear while visiting a geocities site in 2003.
I'd really love for KORG to make another application that merges both M01D and DSN-12. Maybe someday...

XyNo wrote:

Never tried Ultimate but I tried the Retrobits one and it is really cool !!!
Btw are you Tao from the Atari ST scene ?!

Nope, unfortunately not tongue

I have tried all three now. I'm ranking them like this:

1. KORG DSN -12
2. KORG M01D
3. Rytmik Ultimate

But to be honest. I kind of prefer the Fatass tracker on the gbc smile