Chicago
e.s.c. wrote:

baseck: a master of using custom kits in lsdj and one of the hardest sounding artists to ever use a game boy. one half of sonic death rabbit (with wet mango). excellent musician who mastered the darker side of lsdj

baseck was one of the best chip shows I've ever seen, hands down.

Whateverville, California

I realized I had posted in this thread and not addressed the topic. Bad form!

The dudes who got me going on LSDJ:
Wizwars - Catchy, well written melodic songs, brutal thrashings when applicable.
Soleviio - Neo-Classical + 4otf + wise use of instruments, still trying to figure out some of his tricks.
bubu - Fun, funky dance stuff like "Daydream Elevator" makes me want to get down every time.
Ikari/FTFX "Perfect Distant Dream" Split - Don't know a thing about these guys other than this split/demo, but it was formative for me.
Infodrive - The guy who showed me how quickly one could progress in tracking if one puts their mind to it.

England

david e sugar and stu were probably the first guys i heard who wasnt making cheasy retro game music on old machines they were probably the first guys i heard making more rave stuff on hardware, then gwEm's phatt demo (the prodigy reference in the intro sets the tone perfectly). GOTO80 // LLAMAWARNING then the interesting sound design of eddie svard jammer and more goto80.

ive spent a huge amount of time listening to action packed 8bit peoples releases on my bike as they are usually about 4 tracks/20 mins and that is the same amount of time as the journey takes and it is just right.

massive soft spot for old c64 composers as well. jeroen tel is a huge favourite.

Last edited by Jellica (Dec 11, 2015 8:39 pm)

Florida

bitpusher, your story is similar to mine. The first chiptune I listened to outside of a video game was Anamanaguchi. I asked for "video game music" on a forum on Starmen.net hoping for stuff like The Megas and Metroid Metal and someone gave me a link to the 8bitpeoples Power Supply release. That snowballed and I'd say that my biggest influences, chip-wise, are USK, IAYD, DMG Plantlife, and Random. USK because he's the king of Game Boy disco and I wanna make music like his, IAYD because he showed me what the WAV channel can do and that it's okay to use a pulse kick, DMG Plantlife because his album on mp3death taught me how to make a killer WAV kick, and Random because his tracks are made around a pop music structure (intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus) and it shows me that the structure of my tracks is legal.

As for admiration, I'd say USK and Roboctopus because they squeeze the most out of the DMG in both powerful and subtle ways.

Earth

Little Scale, for his blend of technical prowess and musical skill.

buffalo, NY

virt

https://virt.bandcamp.com/track/mecha-k … n-ubiktune

Last edited by danimal cannon (Dec 14, 2015 4:50 pm)

Clermont-Ferrand, France

Soleviio, for incredible harmonics and composition skills.
Anamana, because Down Metropolis saved 2009.
virt, because virt
Shnabubula, for his NES and overall musical mastery.

PleaseLoseBattle wrote:

That dude is a legend on the piano as well. His Fading Light album is impressive.

I'll limit myself to the chip scene.

goto80 - the weirdness. c64 mastery.

Peer - put out the best LSDJ EP ever.

Pajjama - every release is crazy and unique. beautiful stuff.

The Depreciation Guild - a very standout band that had some awesome songwriting.

Clermont-Ferrand, France
Feryl wrote:
PleaseLoseBattle wrote:

That dude is a legend on the piano as well. His Fading Light album is impressive.

Totally. I often watch his streams, and never get bored. He's amazing.

Lichtenstein

Kraftwerk - obviously
Sputnik Booster & the Future Posers - for robot pogo
gwEm - for his live performances

Michigan
arlen wrote:

I'll limit myself to the chip scene.

The Depreciation Guild - a very standout band that had some awesome songwriting.

+1 for The Depreciation Guild, who in my opinion are one of the most consequential chiptune bands of all time.

Holland

cTrix, because he's extremely modest, very helpful, really reaaaaally smart, a wonderful host and awesome guy in general.

Some older chiptune guys, because they're a constant inspiration, some names:

radix - really talented musician overall, and probably one the best melody writers in chiptune I can think of.
malmen - Amazingly talented guy that can really put a finger on the melodramatic side of things while still touching that happy side. Extremely well executed harmonies and melodies in basically every style he tries.
joule - Very knowledged guy on music in general, very theoric approach to music and as far as I know him, really perfectionistic as well, which results in super thought of tracks that are good through and through.

Joliette, QC, Canada
xylo wrote:

cTrix, because he's extremely modest, very helpful, really reaaaaally smart, a wonderful host and awesome guy in general.

Some older chiptune guys, because they're a constant inspiration, some names:

radix - really talented musician overall, and probably one the best melody writers in chiptune I can think of.
malmen - Amazingly talented guy that can really put a finger on the melodramatic side of things while still touching that happy side. Extremely well executed harmonies and melodies in basically every style he tries.
joule - Very knowledged guy on music in general, very theoric approach to music and as far as I know him, really perfectionistic as well, which results in super thought of tracks that are good through and through.

+1 For Joule !!! More people need to listen his music for real !!!!

Italy

nitro2k01! he's the dude wink
of course I'm not forgetting all the great guys in the musical scene, but I really appreciate the work of those a little more behind the scenes, just like him

Last edited by Merutochan (Dec 30, 2015 5:34 pm)