Aarhus, Denmark

Hey,

Does anyone know a ROM that simply prints out the bytes the game boy receives on the link port?
I'm tearing my hair out trying to make LSDJ start at a certain row by sending a byte with the row number, but it just won't work, so now I'm suspecting that the game boy never receives the byte..

~zii

Abandoned on Fire

I don't know of a rom that functions that way (although I'm sure someone like nitro or jeff could knock one up fairly easily).

Are you trying to use an arduinoboy and the syncmap mode of LSDJ or some hombrew stuff of your own?

Last edited by egr (Dec 31, 2015 3:08 am)

Aarhus, Denmark

Haha, yeah. I consider myself a good programmer, but that Z80 assembly is Russian to me.

I'm trying to replicate Arduinoboy functionality on a Raspberry Pi using OO design. smile

Australia

Write a program that echo's the data the port receives. You'll need to either provide an external clock or use the internal clock of the GB. This will confirm the GB is receiving your data and hopefully help find where the fault is. PM me if you want some asm to do what you're after.

Sweeeeeeden

Here, I wrote one:

http://www.gg8.se/temp/linklog.zip

Atlanta, GA
nitro2k01 wrote:

Here, I wrote one:

This is why nitro is a legend.

Aarhus, Denmark
BennVenn wrote:

Write a program that echo's the data the port receives. You'll need to either provide an external clock or use the internal clock of the GB. This will confirm the GB is receiving your data and hopefully help find where the fault is. PM me if you want some asm to do what you're after.

Thanks. smile
I would've written you, but it seems like nitro has already made it.

nitro2k01 wrote:

Here, I wrote one:

Amazing, thanks! Much appreciated.
In the interest of learning, can I have the source as well?

Last edited by zii.hrs (Dec 31, 2015 12:13 pm)

Abandoned on Fire
NoyzBotChip wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

Here, I wrote one:

This is why nitro is a legend.

Boom! big_smile

Aarhus, Denmark

It works!!!
My intuition was correct - the gameboy never received the row byte mad

Somehow I must've gotten really confused looking at this diagram, and wired Serial in/out the wrong way. Apparently Serial in is not the pin to send data to.

Again, thanks for helping out! smile

Sweeeeeeden
zii.hrs wrote:

Somehow I must've gotten really confused looking at this diagram, and wired Serial in/out the wrong way. Apparently Serial in is not the pin to send data to.

Yes, it is. I think what likely happened is that you cut a cable in half and use one end of it. But since the in and out wires cross over, (out on one side goes to out on the other side) there's a 50% chance that the SI pin is connected either to red or orange on the end you're using.

Aarhus, Denmark
nitro2k01 wrote:
zii.hrs wrote:

Yes, it is. I think what likely happened is that you cut a cable in half and use one end of it. But since the in and out wires cross over, (out on one side goes to out on the other side) there's a 50% chance that the SI pin is connected either to red or orange on the end you're using.

I didn't cut a cable in half though, I unsoldered a link port from a game boy and wired it directly to the pi. It should follow the diagram. hmm
GND and Clock works too - I honestly have no idea what is wrong. I used a multimeter to confirm that the lines are drawn high when they should.

EDIT: Wait, I think I get it now.. I'm using a link cable to connect the two ports, and the link cable of course swaps in and out between the two ports (like you wrote)?...

Last edited by zii.hrs (Jan 1, 2016 10:35 pm)

IL, US
zii.hrs wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

I didn't cut a cable in half though, I unsoldered a link port from a game boy and wired it directly to the pi. It should follow the diagram. hmm
GND and Clock works too - I honestly have no idea what is wrong. I used a multimeter to confirm that the lines are drawn high when they should.

EDIT: Wait, I think I get it now.. I'm using a link cable to connect the two ports, and the link cable of course swaps in and out between the two ports (like you wrote)?...

correct. the in on one end connects to the out on the other. i forgot this once when wiring cables for a custom 6-dmg sync box i used to have and felt pretty silly when i wired one correctly but not the other (i cut one cable in half and wired each to a 5 pin din, since that's what the box used)