Brooklon

yooo so I got really excited by the prospects of NL 2 to CV sync and picked up a copy of 2.7.8. I've been trying to sync mainly to a Korg Volca sample through a modified DMG-05 cable (per OW specs) through a DMG to GBA adapter. I've been using the A/2 sync method in Nanoloop. The only issue is that, quite randomly, the sync will skip by a whole step. I know the cable is built correctly because it does sync and stay synced but the skip makes the sync basically unusable. See a video below of what I'm talking about.

I'm just not sure if this is a Nanoloop issue or a Volca Sample issue. Have yall had this issue with other Volcas? There's so many factors. Could it be that I'm running through a DMG/GBA adapter? Could it be battery levels? I did notice that if you power on the Volca, plug in the sync cable, and then power on Nanoloop, it spits out a bunch of garbage that makes the Volca walk through several steps. Could it be that Nanoloop is intermittently sending out pulse garbage that make the Volca skip?

I've tested the GBA CV sync with a Pocket Operator (PO-14) and it's a bit tough to tell if the same thing is going on but it seems to be a solid sync. Maybe the PO ignores the pulse garbage? Thanks for any help yall can give here. Would LOVE to get a solid sync between NL and the Volca Sample/

france

I use a gba sp with nanoloop 2.7.7 and the gba sp is slave sync to the volca. It works fine.
The cable is made by duality micro.
No skip for more than one hour.
Try another gba maybe.

Brooklon
yoyz2k wrote:

I use a gba sp with nanoloop 2.7.7 and the gba sp is slave sync to the volca. It works fine.
The cable is made by duality micro.
No skip for more than one hour.
Try another gba maybe.

Bummer, just gave away my other. Could it really be the GBA itself though? The GBA itself doesn't send out mystery pulses when the NL cart isn't loaded.

Note! wrote:

Bummer, just gave away my other. Could it really be the GBA itself though? The GBA itself doesn't send out mystery pulses when the NL cart isn't loaded.

I've got a few you can borrow if you want.

Brooklon
Adil Soubki wrote:
Note! wrote:

I've got a few you can borrow if you want.

Thanks for the offer dude

Brooklon

So I've tried this with two different GBs now - a typical AGB-001 and AGS-001 (SP). i've also rebuilt the cable - it was originally built with a DMG-005 cable and an adapter. Now I've rebuilt it with actual CGB-003 GB Advanced sync cable. I've tried syncing to a Volca, PO-14, PO-16:

THEY ALL SKIP STEPS

Am I going crazy here? How the hell are you all getting a dependable sync?? This is killing me - I only picked up NL2 for the analog sync! Could my cart be faulty?

AHHHHH (DYING). Thanks for any help yall can provide.

Last edited by Note! (Jan 9, 2016 6:29 am)

NorthTtrrrway

This reminds me of an issue i had with syncing volcas to modular.
Make sure that the volca receives a stereo jack cable, not a mono.

NorthTtrrrway

double post.

Last edited by the mist toggles (Jan 9, 2016 7:38 am)

Germany

Hi mates, well i have the same situation here when i have this setup. Any Volca than a monotribe and than the sample. If i use the sample alone as master, all fine. Do i use the monotribe as master, all fine. Do i use all volcas and the monotribe ... all fine. But do i have the combination that the monotribe is the master of the sample, i have that too. Maybe sometimes a little signal runs thru the volcas in nanoloop. I am nit sure. But everytime when i plug the sample in my sync chain, the proplem is there. I know that the monotribe and the volcas had different pulses. I have the feeling that sometimes an extra signal runs into naoloop and makes this issue. If you try out one time the sample is master or the monotribe, maybe you can find a way. Or, there is a problem in your cable. Hope that helps a bit and sorry for my bad english wink
Regards fReD

Brooklon

Thanks for the responses yall! I've synced the Volca Sample to other hardware - mainly Pocket Operators - to great, locked in success so I don't think it's the Volca.

And it's a stereo cable for sure!

I've got a NL coming in the mail but if i'ts the cart - that won't help.

LAWD.

france

Could you try with a different PSU for the volca ?
Maybe a "ground" issue.

Brooklon
UPDATE:

I slapped a DIN5 on there to see if I could get stable MIDI sync and..

IT'S GOLDEN. Same sync cable, same GB, same cart.

Just a shame that CV sync couldn't work out. Thanks for joining me on this journey yall! Could luck with getting your clock sync working.

Mods, we can close this thread ty

Atlanta, GA

I think I need to rebuild my midi cable (daaaammmmiiittttt) because what's happening for me on midi is roughly the same. I get the same sync issues on MIDI that you had on CV, but I also have an issue where the volca just STOPS PLAYING out of nowhere.

france

I use this cable from duality micro https://evadeanddualitymicro.bandcamp.c … slave-mode

Mainly use with a korg electribe 2, and it works really fine. The electribe 2 send the pulse sync, the nanoloop 2.7.x is slave sync. There is no jitter. And I can apply some fx to the nanoloop 2.7 because the electribe has an audio in. It's a great portable setup because the electribe 2 support 6xAA battery.  Really great setup on the go.

Last edited by yoyz2k (Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am)

dualitymicro wrote:

Maybe sometimes a little signal runs thru the volcas in nanoloop. I am nit sure.

Please note that it is possible to get a seemingly working setup with wrong connections. In some cases, swapped GND and signal pins still let the slave see a sync pulse, but voltage levels are wrong.

So trial & error is NOT a good approach for finding the right connections, nor are wire colors.

Measuring the pin connections is obligatory.

Last edited by oliver (Jul 19, 2016 8:25 pm)

Atlanta, GA
yoyz2k wrote:

I use this cable from duality micro https://evadeanddualitymicro.bandcamp.c … slave-mode

I'll definitely consider just buying a cable if I don't have anything to experiment with. I'm thinking about just coding up a bit of perfboard so I can have a CV split and a MIDI split, but if it doesn't work out, buying a thing might be my best option.