Ardèche, France

Well, I've made 2 tracks at the moment:
-Modded HEX-PRMNT 00 (the first one)
-LIGHT DPNDNC (the newest)

I'll feel more comfortable with some feedbacks, even from non-experimented people, so, what should I develop? what should I not redo? What did you liked the most?
Also, I've never composed before, so, if you have any tricks, feel free to tell me! I don't know anything about solfege (and I don't really want to learn it), but I'm comfortable with pianos and guitars.

Last edited by Adzetko (Jan 12, 2016 1:59 am)

NC in the US of America

First one: Pretty neat. The reverb actually compliments it. Usually reverb on an lsdj track makes me cringe and back away slowly while trying to force myself to be open-minded enough to like it.. and failing. Feels natural and fitting on this track, though.

Some constructive criticism: The bass seems a bit overpowering and drowning out the other channels too much., and it feels like at some points the track would benefit from having the other pulse channel do some sort of harmony or percussion (using quick short pitch bends to make drum sounds.. and layering that under your noise snares can give them extra "mph!") or something (It sounds like you're only ever using 3 channels at a time in the first track, not all 4 at any point?).

Sometimes the noise percussion feels like it was an afterthought compared to the much-loved wav channel. Feels kinda wimpy at times, and lacks driving force and consistency. It /is/ good that it seeks to compliment the overall rhythm established by the other instruments, though. It's nice to see that you have an understanding of how a drummer should play /with/ the band, and not just do whatever random "cool" stuff to show off tongue

I enjoyed your tunes. These are pretty fun to listen to, especially considering they're your first two ever compositions, and first two lsdj tunes big_smile I liked the fun stuff you did with the bass, especially in the second tune. Cool stuttery effects and what-not. Try to bring up the volume of the other instruments just a little bit so they don't get outshone by the flashy bassist tongue

Keep it up! I'd love to hear what you write once you've gotten a dozen or so more lsdj projects under your belt big_smile

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jan 12, 2016 1:05 pm)

England

solfege! haha tu ma rappelé des mauvais souvenirs de l'école!

all i can really say is keep up doing this kinda thing. its interesting for game boy music and didn't make me want to turn it off after 5 seconds of screeching melody, arps and heavy kick drums :P

keep working at making your own sound. keep working at experimenting with sounds, gain a bit more confidence.

Last edited by Jellica (Jan 12, 2016 6:04 pm)

Ardèche, France

Thank you for your answers guys! About the full usage of the four channels, I didn't feel comfortable about this because I was afraid to make some cacophonous music, so one pulse channel has basic rhythm, the other one has primitive melody, and I love the wave channel with distorted synth producing bass and advanced melody. It's a personal point of view. I will obviously try to use the potential of the 4 channels and to turn down my basses, I love experimenting and having multiple recipes to cook in different ways.

Really, huge thanks to you, you are the first people actually orienting me somewhere.

NC in the US of America

Totally respect that decision. Don't feel obligated to overdo it if you think it's better to keep it simple. Sometimes 1 or two channels are all that's needed. And yeah, the distorted synth sounds are really cool. Just felt like most of the time I had to strain too hard to hear the other instruments that were really really soft. It felt like the bass was over-overcompensating. It probably goes without saying, but Jellica's comment reminded me that I forgot to add the disclaimer that my opinions are just my personal opinions based on my own personal tastes. Most important thing is to make what you like. Second most important thing is to not be afraid to experiment and stretch outside of your comfort zone sometimes.

England

dont worry about full usage of all four channels. don't feel you have to fill up all the available space. its good to let sounds breathe with plenty of space as well. simple music is good too. game boy music doesn't have to be a  squeeze as many notes as possible in the available space thing.

as u get used to the so called limitations and use of space with the game boy it will become easier to understand.

find some other game boy artists with a more i guess experimental thing as well!

Last edited by Jellica (Jan 13, 2016 7:58 pm)