Melbourne, Australia

Introducing, a prototype of what I am tentatively calling the Arduboy 'Classic'. Using an Arduino Leonardo (same ATmega32U4 microcontroller as the Arduboy), but with the screen, the buttons, the speaker, and the LED indicator all being provided by the front half of a classic Nintendo GameBoy!

Full details on the Arduboy forum: http://community.arduboy.com/t/arduboy-classic/293

Here's a video of the prototype running some adapted Arduboy demos:

CA

My hat off. Brilliant smile

Bucks County, PA

Fresh as heck! Can't wait to see updates/applications!

Melbourne, Australia

Thanks!! big_smile

What would be really cool, would be to play with this setup attached to one of kitsch's long-awaited  'all-new' LCD PCBs!

CA

Hell yeah, that'd be a new incarnation of the original gameboy. Less powerful, but with all fresh components. This actually made me thinking, is it possible to find an Arduino compatible micro controller with the characteristics closer to ones of the original gameboy. Then it would be possible to play both Arduboy games and write ports of original GameBoy games or maybe even make a translator...

Last edited by friendofmegaman (Aug 23, 2015 12:03 pm)

Melbourne, Australia

So... there is room for the two Arduinos (with ICSP headers removed) to sit with their legs up 'dead-bug' style in the GameBoy's cartridge cavity, with their USB ports accessible through the cartridge slot:

I am still learning the ropes in Eagle, but have managed to get as far as creating a couple of the custom parts needed, making all of the electrical connections, and a basic layout of where things should fit:

Now, I know there are a few Eagle 'gurus' here in the forum, and this is where I was hoping someone might be able to help out with the last push of routing signals and getting the PCB to match with the size and the mounting holes of the original GameBoy motherboard, as well as making sure all of the components are positioned correctly so that they avoid colliding with any of the mounting posts and plastic walls inside the shell. And getting the volume dial and ribbon cable connector to line up with their original positions!

Help? smile

NUMBSKULL

I could give it a crack, but I'm not positive I could make it work. Why don't you send me the eagle files and I'll see what I can do!

Melbourne, Australia

Have had a couple of offers of help, I had some time on my hands today so I managed to muddle through and put some work in and come up with what I think is pretty close to a first prototype attempt at least!

NUMBSKULL

Looks great man! You didn't need my help after all. Is that ribbon connector supposed to be off center like that?

I would try to bring that bottom up as close to the arduino micro as possible so you'll save a few bucks from doing it at OSH park.

Do you have plans for a ground fill?

Melbourne, Australia
catskull wrote:

Looks great man! You didn't need my help after all. Is that ribbon connector supposed to be off center like that?

Ha! Thanks - I still appreciate the effort, and was definitely a motivator to have someone showing interest!

Yes, Nintendo made the ribbon cable a little off center for some reason?

catskull wrote:

Do you have plans for a ground fill?

There are connections all over the place so not sure I'd have space available on one of the layers for a ground fill? Am planning to at least make the ground and power lines a little thicker though...

Melbourne, Australia

And here it is! big_smile

The one hitch is that the Nano is only just marginally too tall for the case, so I'll need to source slightly shorter female headers... or just make a little cut-out in the case!

NUMBSKULL

Wow, great work!

Another idea would be to simply solder the arduino into the board without the headers, I'm sure you've thought of that though.

Do you have more details of the actual functionality of this board? Why are two arduinos needed? How is it powered during operation?

How hard would it be to power the unit off the 4 AA's the gameboy uses? And while you're at it, why not include an on/off switch where the original one went?

Melbourne, Australia
catskull wrote:

Wow, great work!

Thanks!

Another idea would be to simply solder the arduino into the board without the headers, I'm sure you've thought of that though.

Yep, the problem then is that the USB ports are too low to be accessed through the opening for the cartridge slot in the case - need to find a good middle ground! smile

Do you have more details of the actual functionality of this board? Why are two arduinos needed? How is it powered during operation?

Basically, the Arduino Micro is running modified Arduboy sketches, and the Arduino Nano is acting as an LCD controller for the GameBoy display. At the moment, the Arduinos are powered through their USB ports.

I go into a lot more detail in the thread on the Arduboy community:

http://community.arduboy.com/t/arduboy-classic/293

How hard would it be to power the unit off the 4 AA's the gameboy uses? And while you're at it, why not include an on/off switch where the original one went?

Wouldn't be hard at all, and I have found a supplier for a switch that fits. At this stage I am just happy to have a board with all of the connections fixed in place, and be able to move away from the breadboard and the worry of the rats nest of wires I was using coming loose!

Eventually, all of the components from the two Arduinos could be migrated over and everything included on the one board - just means more work and time and money! wink

Melbourne, Australia

WOOHOO! big_smile

Melbourne, Australia

FULL SCREEN 160x144 @ 63.6 FPS! big_smile

Michigan

Nice!