NorthTtrrrway

I am curious to the result smile

arottenbit wrote:

a GBA SP without backlit

Mind that the light has an effect on the sound of the SP

arfink wrote:

...if an improvement in sound ultimately cannot be made, then internalising the jack is merely cosmetic...

the adapters do not fit as solidly as a mini-jack, so, an easy mod does have a use I think, with or without an extreme improvement on the sound

NeX wrote:

the drumkit i used on LSDJ,

SPs are known to have problems with sample playback, I would not take that output as a quality control. Maybe try nanoloop...

Milan, Italy

may you please just put some connection number on this pic? smile
http://i47.tinypic.com/behq3l.jpg

the mist toggles wrote:
NeX wrote:

the drumkit i used on LSDJ,

SPs are known to have problems with sample playback, I would not take that output as a quality control. Maybe try nanoloop...

are they really? i didn't know that! that would explain it then because all the problems are on the wav channel.

i may have left and right the wrong way round, i don't have a spare pocket socket to check, but just switch the wires if its wrong

Milan, Italy

Thank you very much. Now it's a lot easier. smile

just a question to be sure.. I should solder on the 6th leg on the chip, or on the pcb?

Milan, Italy

damn. I'm out.
I really dont know how to to lift that chip leg with my basic soldering skills.
The mode is done, excepet this part. hmm

I'm trying it later because i've lost all my patience. big_smile

the wire should be soldered to the leg of the chip. you could cut them both with a sharp knife and then solder to what is left, but i lifted them so they can be put back.

the only reason for lifting the pins and soldering to them is to mute the internal speaker when the jack is inserted. it should still work as a pro sound but you will have the internal speaker going at the same time. if you don't care then you could always rip the speaker out and not use it. but i like my internal speaker

Milan, Italy

so i can complete the mod without cutting those legs? smile

arottenbit wrote:

so i can complete the mod without cutting those legs? smile

only if you don't care about having an internal speaker, or you don't care that it is on all the time

Milan, Italy

ok. i've completed the mod and i've done some recordings.

Here some useless nice graphics, lol:

GBA SP Stock:

GBA SP Prosound:

DMG Prosound: (I have resized this one, it is a lot louder than the gba)

The output of the prosounded gba is much louder than the stock one.
I haven't heard any hiss/hum fixing, but the nice thing is that the hum remains at the same volume in both models.
..so the louder output of the modded one covers the hum very well.

The DMG (with prosound) still remains the best option for hiss/hum and volume.
It's louder and it has no hum.. but it has some more hiss and less basses.

So this mod doesn't change too much the output of the gba (except the dB gain), but surelly it's awesome to have a built-in jack output on a GBA SP (not in my case, lol). smile

Yay. if you want to hear my recordings, here the link.

Last edited by arottenbit (May 22, 2010 3:18 pm)

interesting, i wonder if it would be better or worse with the backlight as well.

did you get any distortion? or is it only louder? disabling the internal amp may make a difference (lifting the pins) because the amp is still on and connected to the audio lines meaning power and audio are mixing together. in my pro sound the amp is switched off which isolates it from the pro sound.

still great to hear from another point of view about it smile great work!

Milan, Italy

It has more basses than the dmg (like every gba). It's like it has a different EQ: a lot of basses, but less mids.
But these are the usual pro and cons using a dmg or a gba.

It's great for his louder output that covers all the hum.

For my songs I used to record the PU channels from a gba and the WAV+NOI from a dmg.
Now it surelly will be better. smile

I'm going to try to turn off the amp maybe next monday.

☺☺☺

based on arottenbits sound samples id say its worth it just for the added Db and removal of that garble gook cpu noise (although the hiss is still there...)

arottenbit wrote:

It has more basses than the dmg (like every gba). It's like it has a different EQ: a lot of basses, but less mids.
But these are the usual pro and cons using a dmg or a gba.

It's great for his louder output that covers all the hum.

For my songs I used to record the PU channels from a gba and the WAV+NOI from a dmg.
Now it surelly will be better. smile

I'm going to try to turn off the amp maybe next monday.

the way i lifted the legs on the amp is,

get a really sharp knife, like a scalple or razor blade. tuck the point of the blade under the leg where it is not attached to the board. so the leg comes out of the chip, down, and then attaches to the PCB, you want the blade behind where it goes down. then apply a little pressure as if you were to lever it up, whilst applying heat to the pin with the soldering iron, it should come off fairly easily.

San Francisco

hmmm.... these are some interesting results...

hi, do you know how to make a pro sound on a nintendo ds