CA

So yeah a week ago about I got back into these forums to get some beep and got a ton of albums. Some great, some good, some too dark and edgy for me but overall most of the music is good. But with that I think I went a little overboard with my music library-- I guess what I'm saying is I like variety. I really like this genre and think it's really unique but I get a little tired of purely listening to chiptune, perhaps I need a bigger variety of subgenres because some chiptune music is REALLY good and I can listen to over and over (Age of planetary pride anyone?).

I guess to me it's just like any other genre, I couldn't listen to solely that. I used to be on a classical binge and got tired of that after a bit as well. How do you guys feel about chiptune and how much of your library is comprised of it?

Right now I want to find more hybrid stuff, like chiptune used selectively in songs or chip with vocals or something akin to that. "It's strange" is a really good song for example and reminds me of Chiptune, stuff like this I think I could get into as well.

The song in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R65s3mPGeQk

King's Lynn, UK

Chipmusic is awful. I'm just here for the chicks.

Solar System

I like mainly Atari Pokey music. But I owns C64, ZX Spectrum, GBA, Megadrive so I like such stuff too...
I listen chipmusic in my iPOD with RockBOX Firmware. Well when I am tired of listening to
Big Room House, Tropical House and Trap Music I am listening to chiptunes.
Also I love Demoscene music (see demovibes) and old XM and MODs...

And also I compose hybridtunes (chiptune samples in EDM / BASS).

Well yes I love chipmusic. Also I think in lot of EDM or BASS you will find chip samples.

But only few females loves chipmusic. They love RNB and Justin and Calvin (Amiga 1200 DJ)...
All beautiful model like females will ask you "thats ringtone" why dont you use MP3 songs for ringtone?
When I will finds such babe which compose 8bit tunes from EU I will marry Her.

And my dog barks on chipmusic. He loves rock ambient...

Last edited by Matej (Feb 7, 2016 12:17 am)

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:57 pm)

CA
Feryl wrote:

In terms of genre-bending or whatever, I tend to dislike all these artists who seemingly get tired of "pure chipmusic" and then have their mandatory go at making chip-EDM or chip-rock or folk music or whatever.

Damn that's pretty rough for a lot of people. Maybe there's not that much you like particularly but do you really think that all attempts to make a fusion genre will fail?

I haven't found much either that I like, as well, but I mean I think it can be done. For example, a lot of classic rock with good synth use sounds awesome. I imagine something like that could easily be done with chiptune and sound good. So I think it's doable.

settle

lol my music tastes are like yours, eclectic! My iPhone on shuffle today has everything from chip to rock and EDM and classical and VGM and singer/songwriter and pop and tongue

I wouldn't worry about it too much. What I listen to tends to ebb and flow. If I get bored I can always come back a few months later and I'll enjoy it again big_smile

That being said, the constant for me is interesting melody, techniques, stuff like that. For example, I love crazy time signatures (5/4, 7/4, even some 15/4 like Disasterpeace has done yikes). I'm more inclined to enjoy any song, chiptune or otherwise, if it piques my interest like that.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j

a lot.

my iTunes library is literally 75% chip, 15% glitch/acid, 10% future funk

CA
djhaka wrote:

For example, I love crazy time signatures (5/4, 7/4, even some 15/4 like Disasterpeace has done yikes).

I have something for you then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhjG47gtMCo

Last edited by Nullatrum (Feb 7, 2016 6:42 am)

Finland

Chiptune is love.

Yeah I tend to gravitate towards a mentality of "chiptune is chiptune", meaning I don't often find it necessary to include in other, "traditional", genres. If it's all electronic though I think it has a better chance than if someone'd try to make chiptune country. Not to say that CAN'T be done well, but in those kinds of environments the lonely NES, C64 or what-have-you in the corner of the room feels tacked on, basically.
(Recently I made an EP project that had some gameboy in it for a terrible djent-metal, electronic, ambient project. Not something I recommend, but it didn't turn out that bad, I think.)

Anyway: I used to be a chiptune purist, meaning I didn't much tolerate when a tune was labeled as chiptune, but had only little material that was actually reminiscent of chiptune. I mean, soundcloud kids who clearly make EDM for the masses that use the occasional arpeggio or even a n64 videogame sample here and there, not the worst but I don't call that anything other than what it is.

I neither hate nor like that, but on kind of a similar note I've grown fonder of "fakebit" (read: modern DAW chiptune) thanks to artists such as, but not limited to: Malmen, Rymdkraft, Fantomen K and Dunderpatrullen.
Chiptune brought into the future(<- no, not the REAL future. The cool future with lightgrids and cool primitives floating in space), basically.

Having said that:

djhaka wrote:

What I listen to tends to ebb and flow. If I get bored I can always come back a few months later and I'll enjoy it again big_smile

This ^ applied to all genres except Yodeling.

smile

Last edited by my.Explosion (Feb 7, 2016 9:42 am)

IL, US

i dislike most chip music, i'd much rather listen to Godflesh and Wu-Tang Clan... exceptions: stagediver, awkward terrible, ccdm, saskrotch, minusbaby, unicorn dream attack, sadnes, peter swimm, baseck, etc
really don't like the vast majority of dance music (no matter what the instruments are), i hate house music in specific, vgm does pretty much nothing for me, most demoscene stuff just makes me sleepy

Melbourne

I don't think I listen to nearly as much chip stuff as some of my peers in the chip scene. I don't tend to enjoy a lot of lsdj music unless it's particularly unique.. but luckily the australian scene is pretty diverse when it comes to game boy music. My chip interest mostly lies in demoscene music, since the very first music software I had was FT2, from the August 1996 issue of PC Format magazine, and it came with a bunch of tracks by Fleshbrain, Elwood etc.. so, I kinda grew up with that stuff without even knowing that it was called demoscene/chip music.

Having said all that, I really tend to go through phases with chip music. Sometimes I'll fucking love it and listen constantly for a week or so, but then get so burned out that I can't fkn stand it, haha. Usually a Square Sounds does that to me—4 days of being immersed in chip kinda tires me out haha tongue

Clermont-Ferrand, France

I'm more into punk-hardcore/metal bands like Converge and The Dillinger Escape Plan.
But 80% of the releases that I bought this year are chiptune.
I guess chiptune is the only genre that continues to surprise me.
Again, in "chiptune", I'm more into experimental and ambient stuff, sometimes in VGM. 4mat, fearofdark, Soleviio, Shnabubula, Ipower are some of my favorite jams.
I'm not an big EDM fan.

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 8:57 pm)

Chicago, IL

I like it a lot. But its not all I listen to. I find I keep coming back to the more post-rock styled chip stuff, Revengineers, KANAGAWA ,Bronzed Chorus, Depreciation Guild, Infinity Shred etc. Occasionally I'm in the mood for some straight LsDj stuff, Twisboy's Kittens In Space album is my favorite at the moment.

When I work out I have a huge mix of metroid metal, power glove, OC remix type stuff, classic remix stuff of old games.

Chicago

I agree that listening to exclusively chiptune can get a little tiring, especially if (like me) you're not super into EDM. Here are a few tracks I've been listening to that incorporate chiptune elements:

Joliette, QC, Canada
Feryl wrote:

In terms of genre-bending or whatever, I tend to dislike all these artists who seemingly get tired of "pure chipmusic" and then have their mandatory go at making chip-EDM or chip-rock or folk music or whatever. Most of the time it doesn't grab me at all and feels extremely lame. It takes someone special to pull off a transition like that.

Totally feel this one ! ...Well I think it's okay if they still using trackers like Renoise but yeah...
Like most of you I love diversity and listening to 10 000 different genres of music which is the reason why I LOVE Chip/tracker music !!!