Seattle, WA, USA

Anyone know a way to expand an LSDj save storage to fill one side of one of those 64Mbit EMS GB carts?  I tried using MottZilla's storage manager for multiple instances of LSDj on one side of the cart, but had some issues.  What I would really prefer is to use all of the available space on the cart, probably 32Mbit - 1 side?, for save files. 

Thanks in advance.

Seattle, WA, USA

I am reading through some old posts and am realizing that perhaps the ~16 songs I can store on 1 side of an EMS cart ARE using the entire available space. 

Can someone explain: are the .gb and .sav using the same storage?  Or are they separate?

Berkeley, CA

I'm pretty sure you can only have one .sav on an EMS Cart.
If you get a drag n derp flash cart, you can patch your LSDJ rom with littlefm which lets you put 8 .savs on a cart.

drag n derp
http://derpcart.com/

littlefm
http://blog.gg8.se/wordpress/2013/02/04 … -released/

Last edited by smooth alligator (Feb 10, 2016 4:39 am)

perth, WA
brightwhitelightning wrote:

Can someone explain: are the .gb and .sav using the same storage?  Or are they separate?

They are separate. .SAV files use the battery-backed RAM, .gb files get burned to the EPROM

or something like that

Sweeeeeeden

ROM and RAM are different things. LSDj primarily uses 128 kBytes of battery-backed RAM. My program LittlleFM, linked above, can back up this RAM to the flash chip that's also holding LSDj. However, this only works on certain cartridges. In particular, the Gameboy cannot write to the flash chip on EMS 64M because of how the hardware is designed. So this could never work on this cartridge. Sorry.

BK

Nitro, on other carts might this be possible? I.E. Drag N Derp, Bleepbloop carts, etc.? Does the issue lie solely with the architecture of the EMS carts?

Alabama

It has more to do with how the chips allow for rewriting the EEPROM. EMS doesn't allow really for dynamic rewriting, but other carts that are a bit less locked down like the Bleep Bloop, Drag'n'Derp, and even the older blue EMS carts and Smartboy carts can do it.

Michigan

I think if you need more room than LittleFM offers, you need to be backing up your cart more often. For you own sake.
Hell, there is even an application to back up your sav's to  your phone.

Last edited by Jazzmarazz (Feb 10, 2016 4:07 pm)

Sweeeeeeden
Kris k wrote:

Nitro, on other carts might this be possible? I.E. Drag N Derp, Bleepbloop carts, etc.? Does the issue lie solely with the architecture of the EMS carts?

Yes. And not "might". LittleFM already does this.

nitro2k01 wrote:

ROM and RAM are different things. LSDj primarily uses 128 kBytes of battery-backed RAM. My program LittlleFM, linked above, can back up this RAM to the flash chip that's also holding LSDj. However, this only works on certain cartridges. In particular, the Gameboy cannot write to the flash chip on EMS 64M because of how the hardware is designed. So this could never work on this cartridge. Sorry.

A sort of workaround for this, with limited functionality:
You can compose an lsdj.gb file on a DnD cart with multiple save banks, and put that on an EMS cart.
That way you still have 8 save files you can load. The obvious problem is that you can't save in those sav's.

But it is useful if you want a cart for playback only. I use it with my DJ sets.

Naptown

Sorry to bring up this thead out of nowhere, didn't feel like starting a new one. Question for nitro - Any plans to implement saving songs to SRAM in LittleFM? Seems that it would be much faster than saving in LSDJ!

Taichung, Taiwan

Doesn't BennVenn sell a cart with insane storage space?

Australia

Haha insane? It has quite a bit. I was thinking of making use of the spare 128k on my carts and have an ROM on there to manage SRAM between the various copies of LSDJ on the cart. Make it easy to backup and move tracks around.