Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I just picked up a Commodore 64 and was wondering what the best way to transfer or load files to it would be.  I've been looking into using datasette cassettes recorded via my PC but I've had some trouble finding software and documentation on how to do this.

Any other thoughts on cheap and easy hacks or methods for transferring data would be much appreciated.  I'm not afraid to solder up my own transfer device, but I'm trying to stay away from expensive pre-built devices.

New York City

Milwaukee, WI
jefftheworld wrote:

but I'm trying to stay away from expensive pre-built devices.

You are in the wrong field my friend.

uhajdafdfdfa

If you want to go the tape method, http://wav-prg.sourceforge.net/ and http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~schepers/personal.html are what you need.

It'll break things that use IRQ loaders, etc, for obvious reasons - don't expect to run newer demos like this! tongue

If you just want to play SIDs, little softwares you've written etc, it should be fine... I don't know about trackers - give it a try. smile

Yeah for single files Wav-Prg is excellent.  If you need to convert disks over to a real diskdrive using only tape there is a roundabout way.   I can't remember what tool I used but doing a search for 'disk to tape' on CSDB came up with a few results, probably do a similar job.  It won't work with exotic disk formats and I'm not sure about directories with 0 block files or petscii names either.  (like some demos have)

Anyway, you run the disk to tape program on an emulator, insert the disk you want copied and it'll save a virtual tape file of the contents. Then convert that tape file using Wav-Prg onto audiotape, and save a copy of the converter tool on the audiotape as well. (obviously smile )

Run the converter tool on your real c64, stick a blank disk in the real drive and play the rest of the tape to convert back to disk.  I tested our Vic-20 Megademo this way, your mileage may vary.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks ant1 and 4mat, I was able to find wav-prg after searching for other c64 tools, and as for the disk to tape lead I'll be looking into that. Thanks a bunch!