United States

Hey guys I hacked my 2DS and got lsdj working on a gameboy emulator it even read my .sav file correctly. I have firmware version 10.5.0-30U on my 2DS and I went to https://smealum.github.io/3ds/ then clicked on web browser and followed those directions. It took a few times to get the browserhax working but if you keep trying it should work. Then when you get the homebrew launcher on you should install menuhax_manager installed (it lets you bootup to homebrew launcher by holding L when your system boots). I've been told you however can't change your theme or use the theme menu as it will uninstall/negate out menuhax. To get some homebrew apps installed go to https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Applications and/or http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/List_of_3DS_homebrew and place the unarchived files in the 3ds folder of the sdcard. The emulator I got lsdj working on is gameyob. Sidenote: there's also a C64 emulator called breadbox but it seems like it would be a bit tedious and difficult to make C64 tunes via sid-wizard or anything else because it is reliant on the touchscreen keyboard...

Edited: firmware version, I've been way too excited and didn't type the proper one...

Appended notes: to exit homebrew launcher hit start button. To change screen size on gameyob press R then navigate over to the display menu options and change scaling.

more notes: don't system upgrade for a while if you want to keep the hack, check back with the hack site.

Last edited by IceWolf (Feb 21, 2016 3:38 am)

Alabama

You should do a recording of a song with tons of WAV channel action and compare it to a recording off of a DMG or other Gameboy. Curious to see how accurate the emulation is.

Yeah! Welcome to the 3DS club! smile

But you should really use Retroarchs Gambatte emulator. Escpecially for audio emulation. The authors of Gameyob even says people to use Gambatte becouse it has so much better audio.

Personally Im mostly using the Fatass tracker on my N3DSXL. It rocks! smile

The breadbox emulator is ok. But it has slowdowns in speed and audio.

United States

Well gambatte doesn't make the proper compatible .sav . I've backed up my .sav from an actual cartridge and tried to use it on gambatte, after changing the file to lsdj.srm as gambatte likes, and it acts like it isn't there because it doesn't use compatible proper .sav files.

Madriz, Supain

whats the purpose of a hacked 3ds ( besides playing lsdj)? is it there more homebrew ? can you play games from outside your region? etc

United States

Yeah you can play region locked games but I don't actually own any so I can't verify how well that works...

Cookeville, TN
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

whats the purpose of a hacked 3ds ( besides playing lsdj)? is it there more homebrew ? can you play games from outside your region? etc

Yep! You can play any gamecard from outside of your region. There's also a steadily growing list of various handy homebrew apps, tons of retro emulators, the ability to use gameshark-like codes in games, modify games for things like fan-translations or Sm4sh mods/custom Mario Kart tracks, you can make custom system menu themes, and as long as your system is on firmware 9.2 or below* you're able to pirat- I mean, install your totally legal backups of full 3DS games that you totally already own physical copies of, and backup/restore your whole system, among other neat things.

› Show Spoiler

*or if you have a system with firmware 10.4 (or is it 10.5? I don't remember) or lower you can downgrade to 9.2 and THEN do all the stuff I already said.

Madriz, Supain

Wait, so with custom firmware and a flash reader i can create a rom of the games i already own and put them on my sd and play them without carring them? (I mean, thats what we all do with jailbreak systems, right?)

IS THIS DOABLE FOR DUMB PEOPLE? AM I RISKING BRICKING MY SYSTEM?

On the other hand, tell me more about those other trackers

United States
Tao wrote:

Yeah! Welcome to the 3DS club! smile

But you should really use Retroarchs Gambatte emulator. Escpecially for audio emulation. The authors of Gameyob even says people to use Gambatte becouse it has so much better audio.

Personally Im mostly using the Fatass tracker on my N3DSXL. It rocks! smile

The breadbox emulator is ok. But it has slowdowns in speed and audio.

Actually I am noticing possibly more accurate sound on gambatte there's less clipping going on but I'm still concerned about gambatte not making the proper save files that work outside of gambatte hmm