Ardèche, France

I'm really a newbie in microcontrollers, I would be thankful if someone explain me where, then how to choose an ARM.

I think I will buy one of your kit, Ben, but I really want to learn how to build something like this. Do you plan to make any tutorial?

About the midi thing, I don't really understand what MaxDolensky is talking about. Maybe an equivalent device of the arduinoboy, but in USB. I don't know.

Australia

Adzetko, are you after where to buy the ARM for this project, or just a general question for future projects?

Alabama
BennVenn wrote:

Back to the MIDI thing, just one note per key, polyphonic?

Correct. Would be cool to see support for two buttons being held at once also, so you'd have 8 notes for any single button press, then another 7 for A + any other button, 7 for B + any other button, same for select and start, then 6 for the dpad left (because mashing opposite Dpad button while holding other down is only doable with silicone buttons). Then 6 more per each Dpad variation. Comes out to a total of 8+28+24= 60 combinations, so sixty notes.

The "each key sends a note" idea would work with the 8 buttons individually, and would be best used to send a note as the button is pressed. For the combo one, it would either send a note on the release of a single button, or the pressing of a button while another was held (no note would be sent for the first button being released, but would send note for other successful combos using that same first button if it was instead still held).

This is an idea I have had for years but lacked the technical skill to do. It would open up using the Gameboy as a control surface for Ableton, DJ controller for Traktor, or VJ controller. I've written scripts and mappings for those, but I am not as great with ASM.

Alabama

Oh and it would be crazy to see this work with the way LSDJ sends MIDIOUT data for note ons/offs because then you are compatible with every Arduinoboy that can do MIDIOUT, and you won't be locked into just the nanoloop adapter.

Ardèche, France

Ow I was talking about ARM for this project in a fist place, how to corectly select one?
Then in a more general way (because I love to learn things), in a second place, why this is a better choice, and how can you say this one is better than another one?

EDIT: I would love to play Undertale and Rogue Light with your project. I think there are some good non-emulation games to play with only gb buttons, and I don't know if there is a place where 8 buttons games are listed. Maybe something to do?

Last edited by Adzetko (Feb 19, 2016 9:38 pm)

Australia

MaxDolensky, if a keyOn command is sent on the release of a button, how would a keyOff command be sent? Happy to develop this with you.

Adzetko,  I selected the Stm brand for a couple of reasons, the development suite is free for code size under 32k, the programming hardware is cheap and clones are available and last, it is the most common ARM brand found in cheap eBay crap which opens up a world of hacking options.

I chose the STM32F103 because it was used in the 32bit arduino clones which provides a devkit at a very low price. It has an enormous set of inbuilt peripherals including a hadware USB engine.

Im using this same MCU to run my beetles engine management.  Very powerful and versatile.

It is mostly 5v tolerant which is rare on a 32bit mcu, runs at 72mhz and is stable overclocked to 107mhz and it is cheap!

If you want one suitable for development, I'd suggest the itead maple. It is cheap and has the same footprint as an arduino which seems popular here. Get a Stlink from eBay to program it.

Alabama
BennVenn wrote:

MaxDolensky, if a keyOn command is sent on the release of a button, how would a keyOff command be sent? Happy to develop this with you.

I would imagine each button sends a noteOn command upon release then automatically a noteOff after so many milliseconds (would want to play around with the duration a bit). Frankly, it needs to be something like 10ms or so, just any realistic amount shorter than how fast people could spam a button. Could be toggleable via some sort of menu (entered via another button combo, like a classic A+B+Select+Start).

Last edited by MaxDolensky (Feb 20, 2016 6:06 am)

Abandoned on Fire
MaxDolensky wrote:
BennVenn wrote:

I would imagine each button sends a noteOn command upon release then automatically a noteOff after so many milliseconds (would want to play around with the duration a bit). Frankly, it needs to be something like 10ms or so, just any realistic amount shorter than how fast people could spam a button. Could be toggleable via some sort of menu (entered via another button combo, like a classic A+B+Select+Start).

Just curious why the note on would need to be on the button release rather than the press?

Australia

So multiple button combinations can be used without triggering on each button press

Abandoned on Fire
BennVenn wrote:

So multiple button combinations can be used without triggering on each button press

Ohhhhhh ok that makes complete sense now. smile

Abandoned on Fire

Just a little bump to raise awareness on this. The more I think about it the more I really like this project. heart

Australia

Would the preference be a USB-Midi input/output or a traditional MIDI I/O?

Michigan

both

Abandoned on Fire
BennVenn wrote:

Would the preference be a USB-Midi input/output or a traditional MIDI I/O?

If I had to choose between usb or din I'd take usb for sure.

Australia

I'm not sure if that is possible under the MIDI spec... One must be a master?