http://www.factmag.com/2016/02/04/dj-sonikku-interview/

I never heard of anyone making music using old video-game hardware!
It's like... Sonic... At... A... Rave!

Also: it's now possible to write an article without using even 2 seconds of google-time..

How is it different making music with the Yamaha YM2612 chip instead of just using hardware or computer software?

I have the sound chip and what I do is drag a sound into the sound frame and then it decodes. If I like the bassline on Green Hill Zone, I can put that in there and it gets the instrument for me and I can use that to make my own pattern out of it. It’s a really hands-on process, there’s no preset for bass, leads, etc. I have to manually go into the sound chip and find the instrument that I want and then I can tweak it to my liking.

Last edited by Timbob (Mar 2, 2016 10:25 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

*sigh*

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
Timbob wrote:

How is it different making music with the Yamaha YM2612 chip instead of just using hardware or computer software?

I have the sound chip and what I do is drag a sound into the sound frame and then it decodes. If I like the bassline on Green Hill Zone, I can put that in there and it gets the instrument for me and I can use that to make my own pattern out of it. It’s a really hands-on process, there’s no preset for bass, leads, etc. I have to manually go into the sound chip and find the instrument that I want and then I can tweak it to my liking.

Hmmm.. I don't know what to think of the article. Though they are name dropping 'YM2612' like crazy, it doesn't sound like he is actually tracking for the chip. More like sampling (?). 'Sound Frame' WTF?.....
Anyone know what he is talking about?
Yogi

Clermont-Ferrand, France

This article.

Last edited by PleaseLoseBattle (Mar 2, 2016 11:48 pm)

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
PleaseLoseBattle wrote:

This article.

smile

Whateverville, California

sad I'll be so glad when a native Genesis tracker finally makes it past beta stage.

SLC

hate the game

Chill out guys, I read the article, there's literally no one in the world doing what he's doing right now.

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:14 am)

Vaina Moinen wrote:

Chill out guys, I read the article, there's literally no one in the world doing what he's doing right now.

True. None of us is claiming to be the sole original composer on YM2612 and then telling Shirobon his music sounds like MySpace on 2008. So yes, this guy is pretty fucking original.

El Huesudo II wrote:
Vaina Moinen wrote:

True. None of us is claiming to be the sole original composer on YM2612 and then telling Shirobon his music sounds like MySpace on 2008. So yes, this guy is pretty fucking original.

I must admit, it was quite a witty comeback big_smile

He doesn't seem to be out on making friends in the chiptune scene.

But saying someone sounds like MySpace 2008 when you yourself sound like Sega 1992 isn't that strong of a point honestly.

Maybe we should invite him to visit CM.org tho. He says he's looking for other people who make music with YM chip.

Although it doesn't help that when people point out they make sega music as well and you insult them...

I dunno.
I just want everybody to just get along, you know.

Last edited by Timbob (Mar 3, 2016 7:56 am)

France
Timbob wrote:

What a jerk. From the interview:

I feel that maybe I’m the only producer within the contemporary music platform that’s using that sound chip. I might be wrong but as far as I know. If there is anyone out there who’s also using it, please get in contact ’cause I’d love to chat to you.

Finland

Oh, a blowhard? ha-ha. NICE.

Anyway. This dude seems like a right knob and the person who wrote the article obviously didn't bother to research because you gotta get those clicks and gotta get those posts out on time, researched or not.

*YAWN* Next!

Plantation, Florida

It's super funny that I have more of a following than this dude.

It's greater by like, 30 people probably, but that's still hilarious.