egr wrote:
marcb0t wrote:

Well he responded. Seems like a nice guy and appreciated the tracks I sent him.

Perhaps he simply did not know that there was already a scene out there, or there is a misunderstanding. Maybe if we all respond to him with kindness, he will have more understanding of our work.

I don't know, I'm more inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt and to build bridges rather than toss stones. Maybe something good can come of that.

He came back with "yes I know there is chiptune house music but i don't like any of it! just accept that and leave me alone!". .

yup, he ended up admitting that he previously searched through chiptune dance music tracks and just didn't personally like what he heard - this completely contrasts his published statements that he's the first one to even attempt it

now this could be a combination of shitty statements and lazy fact checking, but when called out on it he got unnecessarily rude and defensive to the point of still claiming that those other other releases didn't exist just because "they sucked" - so that's pretty much what made the angry mob form i think

honestly i wish this could all come out positively though, i think this could be a great opportunity for a new publication to make a new article clearing the air and still including sonikku in it as a new artist

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

He's disappeared from twitter.

France

I'm still genuinely curious about how he makes music with his sega. Is it with a piece of software on the genesis like YMDj / Chaos Tracker, or with a cross-platform tool like deflemask, or by driving the chip with something else...?

Last edited by garvalf (Mar 4, 2016 9:59 pm)

Abandoned on Fire
garvalf wrote:

I'm still genuinely curious about how he makes music with his sega. Is it with a piece of software on the genesis like YMDj, or with a cross-platform tool like deflemask, or by driving the chip with something else...?

At best he's using instruments ripped from genesis roms in FMdrive VST but I honestly think he just has a Sonic soundfont or sample pack.

EDIT: FMdrive is a really impressive piece of software by the way http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabfmdrive.html

Last edited by egr (Mar 4, 2016 10:03 pm)

FMDrive comes bundled with VGM2TFI drag and drop,It sounds like what he is describing using, where you drop a game into it so you can get the instruments from it.

chiptune doesnt often get it's dramas

this is fun to watch.

Maybe we will get sonnikku and shirobon onto chip battles in manchester to settle the score

Last edited by JodyBigfoot (Mar 5, 2016 9:29 am)

JodyBigfoot wrote:

You must be new here.

_-_- wrote:
JodyBigfoot wrote:

You must be new here.

what dramas have i missed?

Brooklyn, NY

Hey all - I emailed the editors of Kill Screen (whose writer had uncritically parroted parts of the FACT interview). They've now made changes to clarify sourcing and reflect the dubious nature of his claims (changes in bold):

In a new interview with FACT, producer Tony Donson says, “I feel that maybe I’m the only producer within the contemporary music platform that’s using that sound chip.” He’s speaking of the Yamaha YM2612, the chip found in the Sega Genesis (or Mega Drive) from back in the early ’90s, and so when it is used, it’s typically to create fan versions of songs with the Genesis sound or to remix classic Sega songs. Donson’s claim is heavily disputed within the larger chiptune community, who point to thousands of other artists making similar use of the chip, many preceding him. For his part, Donson uses the sound chip to create house music that beams with the lo-fi tropical sounds of Sonic The Hedgehog (1991), as can be heard in his debut EP “Secret Island,” and he does it all under the telling moniker DJ Sonikku.

https://killscreen.com/articles/dj-tran … use-music/

I also contacted FACT but they still have not responded

Last edited by Zen Albatross (Mar 5, 2016 8:05 pm)

NC in the US of America

Dang, that changes the whole tone of it, haha

well "thousands of other artists" is a bit rich

guy probably thought he was the first because he probably listens to house music and he probably is the first notable one in house music. fact published a quote saying he was probably the first because that's what he said and interviews are mostly about writing down what people say. i might be biased since i actually discovered chiptunes via shirobon's myspace in 2008 but i'm not really sure what we are supposed to be mad at here?

at least you're not all trying to get him expelled from university like last time

sandneil wrote:

well "thousands of other artists" is a bit rich

guy probably thought he was the first because he probably listens to house music and he probably is the first notable one in house music. fact published a quote saying he was probably the first because that's what he said and interviews are mostly about writing down what people say. i might be biased since i actually discovered chiptunes via shirobon's myspace in 2008 but i'm not really sure what we are supposed to be mad at here?

at least you're not all trying to get him expelled from university like last time

I kind of agree here. I think hundreds would be more likely. It is still a really niche thing. You know, we all put our foot in our mouths sometimes. Could be the guy is so busy, that he doesn't have a lot of time to look for some good Sega Genesis house music. When I first started making Genesis chiptunes years ago, it took me quite a bit of time to eventually find the tools and artists I needed to find. Jredd was really helpful, and I found out a lot through his efforts of music making and linking to others. Without that guy, I wouldn't have been this far in my skillset.

I'm not saying that makes what DJ Sonikku said OK, but just trying to show that perhaps his statement is not really worth getting too upset at. He was probably excited and made that statement in the heat of the moment. I think it would be beneficial for him and all of us if he properly reconciled with the chiptune community. And I hope to see this happen.

Yeah, I'm not too keen on banishing a guy to the neither realm of an angry nerd mob black hole. Like I said, the article has been corrected and the dude seems at least somewhat interested in certain types of chip music. If he wants to make amends and join with us I say that's fantastic, and if he doesn't and decides he wants to do things his own way with his own fan bass then we shouldn't let it dampen our joy. It's not the first or the last time some outsider is going to get things wrong about the chip community and quite frankly how we react is going to determine if people want to learn more or not. I think the question is what is our real goal at the end of the day? Is it to educate? Or isolate? I think it's safe to say we've done a bit of both, and while I think a majority of it was justified it does appear there has been a response and some correction. So, I too hope for a positive end but knowing the internet and how it works this guy is most likely going to be quite the meme for a good long while and I am not quite sure if he's the type of guy who can roll with the punches. Only time will tell I suppose smile.

The biggest problem was that he tweeted the wrong thing at the wrong time and that made people jump against him. I know some people have it real hard to resist getting defensive and talk shit about others, but these things have consequences. I guarantee you that if he hadn't tweeted what he tweeted to Shirobon, he would still have a Twitter account and he'd be on his way to making lots of friends in the scene and probably improve his music.

Last edited by El Huesudo II (Mar 6, 2016 6:04 pm)

Michigan
SketchMan3 wrote:

Dang, that changes the whole tone of it, haha

Night and day.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j
JodyBigfoot wrote:
_-_- wrote:

You must be new here.

what dramas have i missed?

a lot