Figured this out about 4 months ago. Been short on time since. Thought someone else could use the info. and maybe even continue the work.:

http://imgur.com/a/ZONy5

Abandoned on Fire

Thanks for posting! I've got several not-so-great GBCs that I'm experimenting on this week.

Did you use any particular method to remove the metal frame? Just careful prying or some solvent?

egr wrote:

Thanks for posting! I've got several not-so-great GBCs that I'm experimenting on this week.

Did you use any particular method to remove the metal frame? Just careful prying or some solvent?

Just move slowly and carefully. Some kind of rubbing alcohol may help since its just adhesive strips holding it on. Happy to share, enjoy!

California

This is super interesting! I always thought that it was impossible to remove the reflective layer due to it being glass, but I guess using a different LCD works too.

Kuesa wrote:

This is super interesting! I always thought that it was impossible to remove the reflective layer due to it being glass, but I guess using a different LCD works too.

It certainly is!

This is actually the original gbc lcd screen. The reflective layer is embedded inside the glass so can't be removed. This is simply a light and polarity trick I discovered while fiddling with the transflective film of an old PDA on a tip from another GB Reddit user. Can't remember his name or I'd mention him as well.

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Mar 6, 2016 7:55 pm)

Abandoned on Fire
Koji-Kendo wrote:
Kuesa wrote:

It certainly is!

This is actually the original gbc lcd screen. The reflective layer is embedded inside the glass so can't be removed. This is simply a light and polarity trick I discovered while fiddling with the transflective film of an old PDA on a tip from another GB Reddit user. Can't remember his name or I'd mention him as well.

Oh! So the polarized film isn't 100% necessary (it just so happened that your transflective film was polarized)?

egr wrote:
Koji-Kendo wrote:

It certainly is!

Oh! So the polarized film isn't 100% necessary (it just so happened that your transflective film was polarized)?

Correct!

Abandoned on Fire
Koji-Kendo wrote:
egr wrote:

Correct!

Awesome. I'll post some results in this thread soon!

egr wrote:
Koji-Kendo wrote:

Correct!

Awesome. I'll post some results in this thread soon!

Cool, looking forward!