Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:14 am)

Abandoned on Fire
Apeshit wrote:

Does a quick USB disconnect do the trick? I don't have one to test at the moment.

I couldn't reconnect the USB fast enough but I succeeded switching pages by pulling out the cart and slapping it back in. Good idea! Pretty fiddly but good enough for now.

Abandoned on Fire

*double post*

Last edited by egr (Mar 7, 2016 7:40 pm)

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A small switch or NC bushbutton on the USB power line would probably do it, if you wanted a cleaner solution. You could just grab a USB extension cable and splice a switch into the red 5v line.

Abandoned on Fire

Think there's any danger to the altane or cart by doing this?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
egr wrote:

Think there's any danger to the altane or cart by doing this?

Not to the altane but potentially a danger to data integrity on the flash cart, if the cart is battery-backed or if there are write operations occurring upon the Altane boot.

Sweeeeeeden

Don't disconnect the ALTANE. That will make the software lose its connection to the hardware. You could still do it while it's not running. But I'm still not really fond of the "USB cable with a switch" idea. The only two known ways to externally change the page as of now are to manipulate the cartridge power supply (removing/inserting the cart and so on) and through the cart's own USB port (as EMS's own application does.) Someone did once post a trick where you would short a certain point on the cart PCB to ground to permanently activate one page. Maybe this can be done with a switch where it either connects to ground or +5V. Just a thought.

St Louis

Hum easy solution mod the ALTANE so that there is a push button switch that disrupts power to the cartridge.

Australia

Or... Just toggle the carts reset line. It is how my Joey can switch pages via the PC software... It can only switch from page 1 to 2, you need to cycle power either via removing and inserting the cart, or usb power to get back to page 1

Sweeeeeeden

Oh, actually... ALTANE always flips the reset line at startup to make sure the cartridge is in a known state before doing any operations. This means that it should always consistently access page 2 and never 1. I always assumed that was a problem with my cart. (Which I once got sent as being faulty.) I could make it not touch the reset line so that it can access page 1 as well. In the meanwhile, you should be able to access what ALTANE wrote to the cart but by turning the power on-off-on quickly when the cart is in the *Gameboy* to move the cart to the page that the flasher wrote to.

Australia

Ahhhhh, I do the exact same thing, reset for a few uS, this is not enough to trigger the page swap, or at least not right after power up (Do you have power control over the cart too?) My Gen2 could remove power and float all the I/O so I could choose either page.

I apply around 100ms pulse to swap the page (this is going from memory, I can dig through my source if you like)