USA, Maryland

Hey guys! so I've messed with milkytracker for the past few months now and now i'm moving over to famitracker(by no means have i mastered milkytracker i'm just getting a feel for trackers n stuff) and so far famitracker seems much better to me. Like it follows the originality of the NES perfectly where as milkytracker allows alot more and it made me wonder for a beginner (such as myself) or really anyone is there a better between the two trackers?

vancouver, canada

apple and oranges sir

just go with whatever program is best at making the song you want to create.  you need pitched samples? milkytracker it up.  need an NES/famicom-specific aesthetic or accuracy?  i don't see why you'd pick milkytracker over famitracker in that case.

bryface wrote:

apple and oranges sir

just go with whatever program is best at making the song you want to create.  you need pitched samples? milkytracker it up.  need an NES/famicom-specific aesthetic or accuracy?  i don't see why you'd pick milkytracker over famitracker in that case.

USA, Maryland
bryface wrote:

apple and oranges sir

yeah thats what im thinking i guess i just like famitracker better tongue thanks!

Lake Titicaca

I havent used famitracker but from what I can see it seems like famitracker will sound better without too much aliasing in the lower and higher octaves because it uses actual oscillators rather than looped short samples (or single cycle waveforms). Also famitracker probably has better sound design options because of the MML instrument design system. However, famitracker's "speed" is just like the NES in that it is based on the 60Hz framerate and incapable of giving you true BPM whereas milkytracker can give you true BPM (much less hassle if you plan on rendering to .wav and loading up what youve done into a DAW or another more modern tracker such as renoise/sunvox).

I used milkytracker a lot in the past and it can sound awesome if you use the waveform generators in the sample editor menu along with the sample amplitude envelope. You can add your own little touches to the generated waveforms using the "draw" function and create instruments in which the volume rises and falls in musical timings (rather like an LFO).  The aliasing you get with short looped sample based instruments can add character to the sound in its own way. Milkytracker has a great interface. If you have an old PDA, such as an HpiPaq Milkytracker is also one of the contenders for comfortable usage and portability because the D-pad + stylus combination is nice to use for long periods of time...you dont have to be hunched over a laptop or sitting at a desk.. very comfortble to use just sitting on the sofa.

If I was you I would take a good look at LGPT and Sunvox as well. Famitracker sounds absolutely beautiful in the right hands but it still has the no-true BPM and non-handheld / portable / comfortable problem.

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Mar 4, 2016 5:44 pm)

Chip stuff in milkytracker sounds a lot better if you disable interpolation most of the time. I think both are great programs, but they're very different. Go with Famitracker if you want to do NES stuff, go with MilkyTracker if you like old demoscene-ish chip stuff.

Lake Titicaca

disabling interpolation? I hadn't thought of that. sounds like a good idea.

Solar System

Famitracker is for NES.
Milkytracker is for SAMPLES...

Adelaide, South Australia
Matej wrote:

Famitracker is for NES.
Milkytracker is for SAMPLES...

possibly the best way to put it

Melbourne
JaffaCakeMexica wrote:

disabling interpolation? I hadn't thought of that. sounds like a good idea.

it's the first thing anyone should do in a sample based tracker imo. I *always* turn it off, even for high quality samples in Renoise, mostly because I like aliasing artifacts.

Coming from being a FT2 user between 1996 and 2002 (and then moving on to Buzz/Modplug/Renoise), I naturally prefer Milky over Fami, just for flexibility of samples. But as others have said, each has its own specific positive and negative points!

Last edited by pselodux (Mar 16, 2016 5:03 am)