Hi everyone.

And cheers to the community since that's my first post here!
It's Frédéric, the guy behind the FB01 Sound editor (and other hardware synths).

I would like to present you my new project which is running on Kickstarter right now.
I have designed an inexpensive 10 voices multi-timbral FM synthesizer which share
similarities with the YM2612 from the Megadrive.

It has the following characteristics:

4-operator voice structure
  14 different algorithms
  8 simultaneous instruments
  16-bit stereo output

It comes with a free (and open-source) multi platform (Win, Mac, Linux) editor and
an Arduino library.

If you like the project and want to support it, here is the link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 … escription

I am ready to answer your questions and comments. Thanks.

Melbourne

Awesome!

France

Salut Frédéric !

See, someone already talked about your project here:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/18162 … ckstarter/
(but you did well to start a more visible thread)

I'll probably get one and back this project!

I guess it's purely FM, there is no PSG like sounds (square waves) like on the megadrive?

Last edited by garvalf (Mar 8, 2016 1:13 pm)

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

Very nice! Backed!
Few questions:
Any way to update firmware? If there are updates.
Future plans beyond the Kickstarter? Sales of programmed dsPICs at some point?
Would like to build a UI, maybe based on STM32 or PIC32, at some point smile
Yogi

IL, US

sounds interesting... good luck and thanks for making that fb01 editor, its very handy

garvalf wrote:

I guess it's purely FM, there is no PSG like sounds (square waves) like on the megadrive?

Indeed you are right. It is on a separate dedicated chip so far I remember. This module do not produce square waves. I tried to keep the project simple.

yogi wrote:

Possibly but my philosophy was more to deliver a bug free product and therefore no need for updates. I am seriously thinking about this though.

yogi wrote:

Sales of programmed dsPICs at some point?

Yes, guaranteed.

yogi wrote:

Would like to build a UI, maybe based on STM32 or PIC32, at some point

Maybe but I also need to make a living. This kickstarter project is more a fun thing for me, I make absolutely no money with this project and it takes a lot of working time, trust me :-)

e.s.c wrote:

sounds interesting... good luck and thanks for making that fb01 editor, its very handy

Thank you for your message, hope you enjoy it!

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
marzacdev wrote:
garvalf wrote:

Indeed you are right. It is on a separate dedicated chip so far I remember. This module do not produce square waves. I tried to keep the project simple.

yogi wrote:

Possibly but my philosophy was more to deliver a bug free product and therefore no need for updates. I am seriously thinking about this though.

yogi wrote:

Yes, guaranteed.

yogi wrote:

Maybe but I also need to make a living. This kickstarter project is more a fun thing for me, I make absolutely no money with this project and it takes a lot of working time, trust me :-)

Thanks for the response. The UI idea was just a follow on to dsPIC sales question, as the Arduino shield is a nice user friendly form factor but not too great for a custom synth builds. If the chips will be on sale at some point, this will open the door to DIYer to develop other form factors with other uControllers.
Your software/firmware is very complete and dedicating an Arduino for a FM synth box is a good option that I plan on doing. Looking forward to a successful Kickstarter campaign for you,
Yogi

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
marzacdev wrote:
garvalf wrote:

yogi wrote:

yogi wrote:

Yes, guaranteed.

yogi wrote:

Thanks for the response. The UI idea was just a follow on to dsPIC sales question, as the Arduino shield is a nice user friendly form factor but not too great for a custom synth builds. If the chips will be on sale at some point, this will open the door to DIYer to develop other form factors with other uControllers.
Your software/firmware is very complete and dedicating an Arduino for a FM synth box is a good option that I plan on doing. Looking forward to a successful Kickstarter campaign for you,
Yogi

Solar System

Hi Fred!
I am YM2612 and OPL3 fan.
Your synth sounds nice!
Can I buy it when I am from Europe?
Or it is only Kickstarter project?

And can you make more specs for Aurora dsPIC game console?
Will it have FM? Will it be handheld like Gameboy?
Thank you.

Matt

France

I've just backed the project. But only 3 days to go, and more than 2500 € are still missing. I fear it won't be backed. In this case, could it still be possible to get one shield?

Hi,
Can I Still get it somewhere? Now that the Kickstarter Campaign is over?

Last edited by masl (Apr 21, 2016 9:07 pm)

France

Probably you can contact them through the kickstarter comment system?

France

@masl: I've seen it's not possible to comment on a kickstarter project if you haven't backed it. So I asked and the creator said it will be possible to order shields in the future, on his online shop (when it will be ready).

And I've finally got my shield:

It works well, and has a great clean sound. I managed to make it work with the LMMS sequencer (multi-track).

Jelly Stone park, MD USA
garvalf wrote:

@masl: I've seen it's not possible to comment on a kickstarter project if you haven't backed it. So I asked and the creator said it will be possible to order shields in the future, on his online shop (when it will be ready).

And I've finally got my shield:

It works well, and has a great clean sound. I managed to make it work with the LMMS sequencer (multi-track).

Great to see they shipped! Will be watching My mailbox smile
Would like to hear more on your setup, are you using the 'midi bridge' arduino FW and the editor software on PC?
Yogi

France

yes, I'm using the bridge for editing the sounds with the dedicated editor and playing midi tracks from sequencers.

Here is a recording I've made, with a simple sound:

https://soundcloud.com/memento-somniare … musicbox-2