Nothing here. Go to r/gameboy to see it. Too much jealous negativity here, sorry.

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Apr 12, 2016 9:20 pm)

Melbourne, Australia

Cool, if you wanted to un-invert it you could just rotate the polariser 90 degrees

Sweeeeeeden
clairenb wrote:

Cool, if you wanted to un-invert it you could just rotate the polariser 90 degrees

The point of rotating it in the first place is to increase the contrast when using a backlight. But that has the side effect of also inverting the screen. The point of "biverting", ie inverting the signal that goes into the display, is to restore the inversion from rotating the film.

clairenb wrote:

Yeah I kinda figured that later after the photo shoot. I'm just afraid that magical contrast will go away. :-(

I'm definitely doing this again so I'll try the normal orientation then. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 16, 2019 11:51 pm)

Apeshit wrote:

what about this is "faux"? it looks like you just inverted the screen, unless i'm missing something here.

The edges, hue and clarity are very similar to those only seen in biverted white backlight mods. Hence the "faux" since there's no bivert chip. Definitely could be named better though, sure.

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Apr 12, 2016 6:32 pm)

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 16, 2019 11:50 pm)

Thing is, this in not just an inverted screen. If it was, I'd have called it such. It blows regular inverted out of the water, for starters.

IL, US
Koji-Kendo wrote:

Thing is, this in not just an inverted screen. If it was, I'd have called it such. It blows regular inverted out of the water, for starters.

how so? i'm with apeshit on this, just looks like a normal inverted screen w/backlight

e.s.c. wrote:
Koji-Kendo wrote:

how so? i'm with apeshit on this, just looks like a normal inverted screen w/backlight

Well, until you see it firsthand you'll just have to trust me. I've done well over 300 backlight mods, so I know what I'm talking about. Wait, have you guys ever biverted a pocket? I don't expect everyone to agree with me, so that's cool. The world keeps turning.

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Apr 12, 2016 7:31 pm)

Apeshit wrote:

you installed the polarized film in the inverted position, and the results clearly show an inverted display. you have different contrast because you used different materials and mirror film.

but what do i know, you have done over 300 backlight mods.

Ive done 30+ pocket bivert mods, the world's first usable photo guide for biverting a pocket, among many other game changing mods and guides within that 300. All within the last 3 years. When others were resting on their laurels and doing more of the same old, same old, I've been about single-handedly evolving the gb mod scene from behind the scenes. I know exactly the impact of my work and what's in my hands.

I wouldnt be surprised if someday something similar becomes a more common standard. I've already seen it happen with the gbc front-light loca mod, usb rechargeable dmg and pocket, usable back-lit gbc, pocket bivert and reflective backlight mods I've done, among a laundry list of others.

Hell, there's so much info, I was working on a game boy modding book to contain it all. Another thing no one's gotten around to doing oddly enough.

Whew! Now that I've gotten that out of my system, you guys should swing by r/gameboy sometime. There's lots of info and a bustling community I'm sure you're missing out on if you haven't been lately. Lots of good folks there.

Last edited by Koji-Kendo (Apr 12, 2016 8:27 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

When you invert the screen by rotating the polarizing film, you don't just invert the black and white image, but also the spectrum of the light admittance. In the normal position, the screen has a green tint, and in the inverted position, the screen has a blue tint, or more toward pink as the case is on a DMG. This affects the way it looks using different light sources or lighting methods. This is especially true for a green backlight, as the contrast between the brightest and the darkest shade increases with the inverted polarization.

This isn't really anything new or unexpected per se. LCDs in the early days typically used the green position because it works better in ambient light. I have seen one or two monochrome LCDs in the wild (ie, not on Gameboys) using the inverted position and a white backlight.

Really though, I think what Apeshit was reacting to, and now me, is giving it a fancy name. You could give it a name that is simply descriptive, for example "Backlit screen with inverted polarization".

nitro2k01 wrote:

When you invert the screen by rotating the polarizing film, you don't just invert the black and white image, but also the spectrum of the light admittance. In the normal position, the screen has a green tint, and in the inverted position, the screen has a blue tint, or more toward pink as the case is on a DMG. This affects the way it looks using different light sources or lighting methods. This is especially true for a green backlight, as the contrast between the brightest and the darkest shade increases with the inverted polarization.

This isn't really anything new or unexpected per se. LCDs in the early days typically used the green position because it works better in ambient light. I have seen one or two monochrome LCDs in the wild (ie, not on Gameboys) using the inverted position and a white backlight.

Really though, I think what Apeshit was reacting to, and now me, is giving it a fancy name. You could give it a name that is simply descriptive, for example "Backlit screen with inverted polarization".

That sounds great and all, but I've seen an inverted backlight and a biverted backlight. This beats them both in contrast, clarity and brightness. But if you guys are that aggravated by a simple title, than let me go ahead and fix that for ya.