Minneapolis

So it feels like it's been 10,000 years since I last did or said anything here. Well, ok, just over 1 year.

I have been doing crazy things since last I was here. I had a kid, changed jobs, have begun to learn PHP, and did a bunch of other crap. How bout you guys?

NUMBSKULL

Started selling arduinoboys on my website. Got a handful of other products in the works. Still haven't completed a song. Also had a kid. Also changed jobs. Not interested in php but web development is my day job. Most of the time I feel like an idiot and want to quit.

arfink wrote:

So it feels like it's been 10,000 years since I last did or said anything here. Well, ok, just over 1 year.

I have been doing crazy things since last I was here. I had a kid, changed jobs, have begun to learn PHP, and did a bunch of other crap. How bout you guys?

Oh, congratulations on the kid and the job! Yay!  \^,^/

And yeah, life is much more than chiptunes of course. But it's nice to see you... actually, I've never even met you and have been on this site for less than one year. But... yeah... smile

Minneapolis
catskull wrote:

Started selling arduinoboys on my website. Got a handful of other products in the works. Still haven't completed a song. Also had a kid. Also changed jobs. Not interested in php but web development is my day job. Most of the time I feel like an idiot and want to quit.

So, what do you use for dev? Just curious. I'm learning PHP, but also simultaneously learning how to use the Laravel framework because I have an offer with a company if I can learn it. tongue So yeah, I feel ya on the stupid-code-monkey front. But I've also found in life that jumping in at the deep end, while somewhat frustrating, does usually reap many benefits in the end.

Minneapolis
marcb0t wrote:
arfink wrote:

Oh, congratulations on the kid and the job! Yay!  \^,^/

And yeah, life is much more than chiptunes of course. But it's nice to see you... actually, I've never even met you and have been on this site for less than one year. But... yeah... smile

Wha... CHIPTUNES IS LOVE, CHIPTUNES IS LIFE!

I used to be around a lot more, doing modding mostly. I've taken several long hiatuses, for various reasons. Old-timers probably remember some of my old projects, some cool, some ending in disastrous failures. I still remember the Jose drama from the founding days, watching Kitsch get started, going to shows with Low-Gain and co, and of course my epic stupidity on the Munchhausen project. I'm looking forward to hanging out, but I doubt I'll ever try to sell anything again.

Last edited by arfink (Apr 16, 2016 4:56 am)

NUMBSKULL
arfink wrote:
catskull wrote:

So, what do you use for dev? Just curious. I'm learning PHP, but also simultaneously learning how to use the Laravel framework because I have an offer with a company if I can learn it. tongue So yeah, I feel ya on the stupid-code-monkey front. But I've also found in life that jumping in at the deep end, while somewhat frustrating, does usually reap many benefits in the end.

I did rails full time for a year or so. Right now it's Java with a cocktail of JavaScript stuff. I mean technically my thing right now is an indefinite paid internship, which basically gives me low productivity expectations and tons of schedule flexibility in exhanche for benefits like insurance. I did some hardware stuff with the xbee radios for a while there, which was fun. I'd kind of like to get back into hardware but it may just be a hobby which is why the little shop has been so fun.

congratulations on your baby! exciting times

i also changed jobs, and now i sit on my butt squinting at arcane and dated computer systems for 40 hours a week for money, which kind of completely put me off doing the same in my spare time sad

i'm spending a lot more time doing my physical sport hobbies to compensate but it's a shame about not having much time for musicking anymore (n.b. those familiar with my music may disagree)

NC in the US of America

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 9:02 pm)

Lake Titicaca

That sorceress is fine

IL, US

i've mostly been watching movies, hard to do much else since it turns out i have arthritis in my spine from the base of my skull to about the middle of my back....means that i'm going to be in pain pretty much 24/7 for the rest of my life...have managed some video art (thanks to me finding ways to automate a lot of the process) and did visuals at 8static fest for fuckjazzforaminute, zen albatross, l-tron & mail order monsters

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 9:02 pm)

IL, US

i like a very wide range of stuff.. love all of Stanley Kubrick's films (especially "Dr. Strangelove" & "The Shining"), lots of horror ("Rosemary's Baby", first three Romero Dead films, "Suspiria", the "Evil Dead" trilogy, "Hellraiser",) pretty much everything David Lynch ever made (just not into "Inland Empire"), some comedy, mostly weirder ones  ("The Saddest Music in the World", "The Hudsucker Proxy", "Barton Fink" counts as a black comedy to me, "Punch-Drunk Love"), most Kurosawa films ("High & Low" is my favorite of his), lots of experimental stuff (the -Qatsi trilogy, "Man With A Movie Camera", pretty much anything made by Bruce Conner or Brackhage, "Un Chien Andalou")..i could go on for a very long time, my degree is in photography/film/electronic media, so i tend to watch just about anything since i learned that you can learn something from just about any film, even if its just what not to do yourself.. particularly fond of bad horror films, as long as the cinematography isn't garbage (i blame "The Blair Witch Project" for inspiring so many people to release stuff shot incredibly poorly).. i keep about 150 different movies on my NAS at any given time, swapping out some stuff every once in a while
even before my back issues started, i'd easily seen a few thousand films

Brunswick, GA USA

Robin Williams and Keith Emerson took their own lives as a result of inadequately treated depression. If you need help, please seek it.

SounDevotion competition began its 100th round, Battle of the Bits tried a kickstarter. I manage to make entries despite only having 30 minutes to 2 hours per night to work on them, and still straddle chipmusic and Vocaloid.

sad I really hope your back situation improves someday, Kevin. I'm getting progressively shaky hands from my mother's side of the family, but I can't imagine spine arthritis.

These days I'm finishing up my degree. Graduate the first of next month. Hopefully have a job lined up as an office clerk sort of position where I interned last summer. Crazy dysfunctional manufacturing plant in a rough part of Detroit, but it pays.

Other than that I've bounced from failed band to failed band the last few years never really making any progress. Didn't really help that my ex sometimes made it hard for me to practice and she wasn't very supportive, but I'm with someone very supportive now and I'm feeling more inspired than ever to get some stuff done.

Now I've just got to get these last exams out of the way so I can stop studying and start recording.

IL, US

thanks, but arthritis generally just gets worse over time.. all i can hope for would be stronger pain meds