Melbourne

Hey chip people, just a quick question regarding labels. I'm working on some super ridiculous progressive rock/metal, and while it doesn't 100% fit within the world of chiptunes, it's composed almost entirely in Renoise and features some chip/demoscene inspired lead sounds. I'm going to submit a track to the chiptunes = win compilation for this year, but I'm not counting on being selected.

Anyway, are there any labels, other than Ubiktune, who release chip-related music that is more on the progressive side? I've already attempted to contact Ubiktune (through facebook messages, because there is no "contact us" page on their website tongue ).

I already release through bandcamp, but would just like the extended exposure that a label would provide. I'm really not good at promoting my own music!

Baja California

Have you tried Pterodactyl squad? theres also the cheapbeats label

Melbourne

I sent stuff to cheapbeats last year but it wasn't up to their standard sad admittedly I submitted my first lsdj/nanoloop tracks and these are full prog compostions so.. I'll try again when I have something *really* good..

Toronto, Canada

Maybe hit up Thrash44

Ottawa, ON

Ubiktune would be the one I'd go to; they released my band's album last year and there's no other label I'd have rather it be on... unless, like, they were to fund a vinyl pressing for us... tongue
I'll nudge c-jeff for you.

Unsubscribe

RIP Pause.

rochester, ny
pselodux wrote:

I already release through bandcamp, but would just like the extended exposure that a label would provide. I'm really not good at promoting my own music!

maybe this is a side discussion but this is something I've always wondered about with net labels. what are they getting in exchange for releasing and promoting your music? do they get a cut of the profits?

United States
nickmaynard wrote:

maybe this is a side discussion but this is something I've always wondered about with net labels. what are they getting in exchange for releasing and promoting your music? do they get a cut of the profits?

chipmusic is generally not a profitable endeavor

maybe some labels take a cut, but every label i'm aware of also has plenty of free releases in their catalog. i think chip labels are mostly motivated by a desire to curate and share cool music

except for aanaaanaaanaaana, which is motivated by a dog

zobe

aanaaanaaanaaana currently only releases music in secret

ubiktune! that crew knows how to shred hard

Melbourne

Ubiktune got back to me, they don't accept demos anymore. Not sure if this means they won't be taking more artists on at all, but either way I managed to fail to get their attention. I guess I'm missing something about just being 'poached' by a label.. Perhaps I'll submit one of my new prog tracks to the chipwin compilation and hope someone proggy gets into it.

Or perhaps I'll just contact 'real' prog labels tongue

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
herr_prof wrote:

RIP Pause.

http://www.iimusic.net/

Melbourne, Australia

Just do what everyone else does and start your own wink
That way you'll never be rejected again!
Plus it sounds like the world needs a chip-prog label.

buffalo, NY

Perelandra?

Melbourne
Calavera wrote:

Just do what everyone else does and start your own wink
That way you'll never be rejected again!
Plus it sounds like the world needs a chip-prog label.

haha, well I have the tsr 'label' already, but that's for minimalist stuff (so minimal it hasn't had a release yet!), certainly not the ridiculously dense prog I've been working on for my pselodux project big_smile

Abandoned on Fire

I'm not saying this to be a smartass but if there happened to be a prog chip label at the moment it would be one that you'd never heard of which means either they're extremely new or just awful at promotion. Either way I don't think you'd benefit.  /$0.02

Last edited by egr (Apr 26, 2016 1:04 am)