Chapel Hill, NC

Hi Everyone,

I make chiptune guitar pedals by hand in Chapel Hill, NC. They are bitcrushing guitar pedals that are suitable for lead and rhythm sounds. The idea is to make your guitar or bass fit in with your chiptune productions. Find demos and more info at: www.trevwignalldesign.com

Anyone here interested in something like this? I am also looking to gauge interest in addition to selling these.

Cheers,
Trev Wignall

King's Lynn, UK

It's a touch out of my price range at the moment, but I'd certainly be interested in running my trombone through something like this.

Chapel Hill, NC

Hey HillyOTM -

Thanks for checking it out. That would be super cool! (Do you know of ap0c? Chiptune and tuba/sousaphone) Just curious - what would be in your price range for something like this?

Cheers,
Trev

Madriz, Supain

I dont see the price range on teh website

Chapel Hill, NC

Thanks for pointing that out! It's fixed now. The pedal is currently $250.

Last edited by Trev (May 10, 2016 10:17 pm)

TSSBAY01

just my opinion but im thinking this is gonna be outta practically anyone in your target audience's price range, and i would also think anyone who would want something like this would probably pay a little more and buy a geiger counter, or a little less and get one used. they have a lot more to offer. im thinking $150 would even be pushing it if you wanted to sell more than a handful of em. as far as the enclosure itself goes...ugh. to anyone who builds pedals, if you're designing a pedal, please do not put it in a gimmicky enclosure like this. way too much space is going to be taken up on anyones pedalboard with that if they use multiple effects. it only accepting 5v dc may also kill your chances of selling these.

NC in the US of America

I'll be honest, I couldn't really think of many uses for this type of sound while watching the demo vids. Maybe if I heard a demo of the guitar pedal playing along to some chiptune accompaniment to see how they fit together. I guess I was expecting to hear more of the fundamental frequency of the note, but this thing goes into some serious overtonage once that knob hits the 12o'clock mark. It is a pretty cool sound. I was expecting something that would make it sound like a low resolution pulse or saw wave or something, but this sounds I guess like what one would expect with bit crushing.

Price is definitely beyond my range, cuz i'm a cheapo tongue Also, yeah, the enclosure is kinda way too big, and kinda looks weird... the knob placement in that final pic is pretty neat, tho, hehe.

I'd love to hear more demos with maybe some gameboy or sid or nes or something accompanying it, to show how it sits in a chiptune mix. Maybe some chord work

Edit: Actually, this seems like it could be a lot of fun to play around with, combining it with some EQ and stuff.

How are you micing your amp for these demos? Also, greets to a fellow NC chipper big_smile

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 11, 2016 12:03 am)

King's Lynn, UK
Trev wrote:

(Do you know of ap0c? Chiptune and tuba/sousaphone) Just curious - what would be in your price range for something like this?
Trev

Not particularly, though the name sounds familiar.

Currently, I'm broke so nothing, but when I'm working I'm terrible with money, because I don't care about it and will pay silly for what I want. That said $250 does seem like a little much, but I've seen some crazy prices for pedals in general, so I didn't really think much of it.

Detroit

$250 is nuts.   That's getting into the EarthQuaker Devices-tier pedals.  I like the idea of your pedal but it's definitely not worth that much... for reference I could probably pick up an Alesis Bitrman which is a bitcrusher/flanger/phaser pedal for ~$100.

Chapel Hill, NC

I'm really glad this has gotten as many replies as it has.

tempsoundsolutions - [I like your music quite a lot! I've been listening to it since Pause was active.] I've thought about the 5V DC issue. I'm going to put a regulator in future pedals to accept 9V. Yes, the box rather big. This is because it's been kind of tough to find pre-fab boxes in exactly the right size. I realize there's quite a lot of wasted space so I'm going to keep thinking about it. The Geiger Counter offers quite a lot, I'm definitely aware of that pedal. I attempted to do a 'do one thing but do it well and also subtly sometimes' approach since the GC seems well-suited for noise-rock and the like.

SketchMan3 - Thanks! Demos as per your suggestion are sorely lacking so I'll do some in the near future. Wonderful idea! As for amp micing - I don't really remember : P

I'm really thankful for the feedback, you all have given me a lot of insight, some good things to think about, and some new ideas. What I hope to do is add a few more DSP features, make it way smaller, and lower the price point as much as I can. What sort of additional features might you all be interested in? Any 'wouldn't it be cool if' ideas?

Last edited by Trev (May 11, 2016 4:04 am)

Madriz, Supain

Id buy a cheapskate version (with less features if needed, the bitcrushing side sounds good enough for us non audiophiles) but id never buy it with a gbcase. Most of the time, enfranchised people is tired of the "mainstream look" of their hobbies.

How ever, i think you can do good in the blackgaze/postrock scene. Theyd love this sound on detuned/7string guitars.

TSSBAY01

right on trev, glad to hear you're an old fan! maybe if you were able to make variable voltage into an effect, it could be cool and make it so that it can offer a little more. i would think that if you were able to do it safely, that it would affect the sound in a way that could be utilized as a selling point. honestly, changing voltage in the hopes of it affecting the sound isnt something that pedals to my knowledge have really utilized too much yet..so maybe theres something in that for you. i would think if you dipped down to 3v that it could maybe drastically affect things and you could get more of a blown out sound with it, but i guess it depends on the od circuit. really kind of a shame, because i feel like i would be the kind of musician who could take advantage of this pedal. unfortunately i feel like while you've got a good idea, theres a little too much going against it, but maybe its not things that would be a dealbreaker if you added a little functionality. i think if you were able to implement maybe one or two more key things into it that it would make a little more stickyness in favor of the pedal toward the price. of course that geiger counter does a ton, but i would see that pedal as your competition-what can you implement to this that would set it apart from that? you've got the factor of price in the geiger counter in your favor, because it is a pricy pedal and i see em come up locally for sale pretty rarely. but maybe if you were able to get a hold of one and put it physically head to head against yours, you could brainstorm on it, maybe add something like a 'jam' function, and of course this might be a bit much to add in, but if you were able to add something like a couple of beat patterns in there, that would probably make people go apeshit on it. its tough to work this kind of thing out from a developer perspective because of not only the time involved in testing stuff out, but going by what you think a consumer would be interested in. but generally i think you do have a good idea here, its just a little too expensive.

Indiana

Can the Sample Rate mod get into ring mod speeds?

Chapel Hill, NC

SuperBustySamuraiMonkey - I'm fairly certain I could make it smaller, lower the price point drastically and keep most of if not all of the current features. (I've done some thinking about how I reduce parts cost and labor hours among other things). If I understand correctly, you and others might prefer a label that's more straightforward, rather than the Gameboy look? This actually would be much easier on my end anyway I think, so I'm certainly happy to consider this. I'll check that scene out too!

tempsoundsolutions - What are you thinking the voltage source would be? Something like a modular synthesizer? That might be doable, so long as the voltage input is scaled down somehow to 0 - 1.8 volts. The beat pattern idea is very interesting. I'll think about that too. That really might be a popular/in demand function?

Fudgers - Yes!

Last edited by Trev (May 12, 2016 9:34 pm)

Philly

Personally, I have less of a problem with it looking like a Gameboy as I do with the overall control layout.  I don't like the off-center stomp switch or having functional knobs next to it.

Melbourne, Australia

I don't know why you made it look like a game boy, the sound has pretty much nothing to do with anything that comes out of a game boy