Czech Republic

Hi

I'm interested how are you using guitar pedals for procesing stereo chiptunes.
Most guitar pedals I have are mono and I'd like to maintain stereo from my gameboy.
Sure, there are some ways to do that, like use aux sends for effects, but not all of effect fits to this way of procesing signal, sometimes you don't want to keep dry signal in the mix ( e.g. when you are using distortion... ).

So, what about your experiences with guitar effects?

rochester, ny

stereo effects, like the tc flashback or hall of fame, sound awesome with Gameboy music.

Brunswick, GA USA

Choose one:

Use two pedals

only have the effect on one side

put it in send/return on a mixer

Czech Republic

Or convert GB both channels to mono (I use this mostly)...
I'm interested in your experiences, how do you use pedals.
Thanx

Indiana

Wet/Dry mix works best for recording. Always nice to have a dry recording for later.

If you're using them live (which seems to be what you're asking), you should really be working in mono anyways. your stereo gameboy effects are probably not going to be much fun for the room.

Finland

I've got a modular filter-box and guitar pedals that I use interchangeably. Due to the pedals being mono often just run mono-parts through. I definitely so far use it as more of a hands-on tactile way of working when in reality it'd be easier to just drag-n-drop a VST onto the effect-chain, but that could change if I decide to move away from the computer more.

NC in the US of America

Stereo Chorus pedal could work nicely

montreal, qc

For Zan-zan-zawa-veia - Mist Slug, I took the five mono channels from the .FTM and ran each of them through a pedal chain approximately five times each, tweaking all of the key parameters live while recording. The differences in each "take" allowed for each part to be doubled up and panned (hard-ish) left/right, resulting in a style of mid/side effect processing.

Last edited by ilkae (May 14, 2016 2:40 pm)

Nottingham, UK
ilkae wrote:

For Zan-zan-zawa-veia - Mist Slug, I took the five mono channels from the .FTM and ran each of them through a pedal chain approximately five times each, tweaking all of the key parameters live while recording. The differences in each "take" allowed for each part to be doubled up and panned (hard-ish) left/right, resulting in a style of mid/side effect processing.

That's cool. I'd noticed that something interesting was happening in the stereo field on Mist Slug in comparison to Zan's usual Spartan approach to the post tracker mix.

I'd love to hear the stems for that tongue Can I ask what effects you were using, out of curiosity?

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (May 15, 2016 10:31 am)

montreal, qc
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

I'd love to hear the stems for that tongue Can I ask what effects you were using, out of curiosity?

I mostly used my custom 4MS noise swash pedal. Here's a small example of what it did to the stems:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/236 … iangle.wav
See how fat it makes the low-end of the triangle channel!

Also used on some takes was a shitty behringer vintage delay pedal after the noise swash.

Last edited by ilkae (May 15, 2016 6:58 pm)

Boise, ID

There are definitely pedals out there that have stereo input/output, electro harmonix does a bunch.