East Coast USA

id love to see Nanoloop-like programs available for more systems. I'd love to see the Mega Drive become a little easier to use.

It was great to hear that Elektron reference! I have Monomachine + A4 and love them both mainly because of how their sequencers work with parameter locks. Nanoloop/Picoloop certainly has that same feel being able to set unique parameters for every step. Love the idea of having just few tracks but with a lot of flexibility with each track.

Happy to help testing the upcoming versions if need be!

france

@pselodux me too, I love their stuff, it's really well made and it sound fine. Love my machinedrum.

@zoikkis I have a machinedrum sps1, and this weekend I will buy a A4 smile Yes this weekend I should be owner of one !!! And if I lose it on my auction, I will buy one new wink

Elektron gear are the best mix of sequencer and sound quality, but it cost a lot. Anyway, now I will bought this kind of stuff, because it's fun and I like their sequencer and sound.
I'm happy to see an Elektron owner and Elektron fan here too, and I will be happy to share update on picoloop with you smile

@ Dolby-z For the megadrive "nanoloop" kind of sequencer, I think there could be a way to do something. The only way I see it, is like the novation circuit do the job : Patch and Macro.
For me it's the only realastic way because of 4 enveloppe and really too much parameter for an interface to play it easily, yes FM contain lot of parameters...
And there is geek on this forum, but too much parametrr is sometime boring, you need the computer to help you sole way to do the good job.

Nanoloop kind of sequencer is about :
- fewest knob but most interesting one ;
- the biggest possibily in the sound range and diversity ;

There is a lot of knob on megadrive and there is ton of patch. Si if you select for example 512 good patch and sort it, and add good macro for each one to play to the most interesting parameter of each patch, there is a real possibility I think.
I say this but I don't say there should not be a way to upload new patch, but... a macro way to control them.
There is few parameter on lsdj and megadrive is too much....
Megadrive can sound really good, just play the "sound title theme of street of rage 2" and you will be convince that patch and macro could do one of the best retro FM sequencer out there....

But lots of works....

Last edited by yoyz2k (Feb 18, 2016 10:36 pm)

france

Doubel post

Last edited by yoyz2k (Feb 18, 2016 10:35 pm)

Madison, WI

Hi! Is there a way to install this on OSX? I tried compiling the debian makefile but no luck. It's looking for things that aren't there.

MacBook-Pro-4:picoloop anbrad$ make -f Makefile.RtAudio_debian
mkdir -p debianrtaudio
g++ -O3 -Wall -I.. -DHAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -c RtAudio.cpp -o debianrtaudio/RtAudio.o
RtAudio.cpp:5098:10: fatal error: 'alsa/asoundlib.h' file not found
#include <alsa/asoundlib.h>
         ^
1 error generated.
make: *** [debianrtaudio/RtAudio.o] Error 1

Last edited by nonfinite (Mar 10, 2016 6:41 pm)

france

Hi nonfinite,

I have never try to build it for mac osx.
But I use sdl 1.2 and rtaudio and those lib support it.
The error displayed come from the lack of alsa on osx.
Osx use something like coreaudio.

So you should change the : -D__LINUX_ALSA__ with
-DMACOSX_CORE for the RtAudio, so you just have to modify this and continue to use the debian kind of makefile, like you do.
Then you will need the header file and "lib" for sdl 1.2 :
https://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php
Put it on the directory you are using, I can't tell you the good path of this but you will have to play a bit to help the complier and linker to find the .h and the lib file.

Rtaudio doc is here :
https://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtaudio/
The -Dsomestuff is described on RtAudio.h or cpp

Tell me if it works, it should but it is not really easy if you don't use a compiler every day.

Johann

france

First part compile the RtAudio.
Second part compile the whole program.
Use the debian makefile as described in the REAME.md.
And git tag/checkout a previous tag if the last one doesn't work on osx.

Johann

france

Picoloop 0.66 is out.
More than 16 step available : 32,48,64,80.... 128
Minor bugfix.
Bank are reduced to 32 pattern instead of 128, because the 128 step and 128 pattern took too much space on PSP.
Version for PSP and windows only.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ogqdytniiij6 … 60417?dl=0

Johann

Thanks for the update, just installed it to PSP and so far has been working ok. Different step amounts is great news! Text bug still seems to exist in L/S screen.

BTW did you ever got that Analog Four? If so, have you liked it?

france

double post

Last edited by yoyz2k (Apr 29, 2016 4:22 pm)

france

It could take me one or two hours our to fix this L/S display issue. I should take time to solve it  wink
And unfortunately, there is a bug on the PSP version with the steplenght of a pattern, for an unknow reason it seem to be blocked at 16 step and  32 step ?? So you can switch between 16 and 32 step for now, but not more... I have to dig it. It should be simple, but I don't know why it is on the PSP build.

And Yes I have received my analog four.
it is a real beeaaast.
The sound is really great, and the parameter lock are really a must. When you have work with it, you can not go back. On the sound side, you can not think there is only four voice, because the reverb and delay helps a lot on this side. It give me lots of idea for picoloop.
I need the Rythm now wink

The funny thing about the parameter lock is : nanoloop, lsdj and most tracker have this feature.
Lot of expensive sequencer don't have it.
Really funny, because lots of users like it.

france

For french people here :
http://linuxfr.org/news/picoloop-un-sequenceur-musical

france

double post, too long to reply....

Last edited by yoyz2k (May 13, 2016 9:10 pm)

New York, New York

@yoyz2k: I didn't have time to check it. I'm selling my GCW ZEROS soon.

france

If the binary launch on the gcw zero it will have bug.
I have not check anything on this platform so don't worry about it.
PM me for your gcw zero, i'd like to port picoloop on this hardware, but unfortunately I will not bid really high or maybe I can trade something.

france

Today I work on a "config" screen which will launch at the start and will allow ( dependant on the platform ) to :
- choose midi in port
- choose midi out port
- enable mid in/out/thru sync
- enable pulse sync out, on left or right channel or a different output ( on pi you can have different sound card )
- add a pi2 and pi1 makefile

For midi in full support there is lot of things to think about, and for midi cc too, if you have big idea on the workflow of midi in you are welcome. Because, midi in is really difficult to implement nicely in the sequencer IMHO.

Johann