Tlalnepantla. México

Hi, today I bought a turquoise game boy color for next to nothing (5$ MXN) it's on terrible condition because someone in my family put the shell on thinner with the intention of cleaning it but it just take off all the color the shell had.

Does anyone have an idea of what to do for restoring the shell to the original color?

Boise, ID

I'm curious what that looks like. If you want the original color back, you should probably just swap the shell. It shouldn't be much for a replacement

Tlalnepantla. México

This is what it looks like: http://m.imgur.com/tIgZK7a
BTW, I don't plan on buying a new shell since the internals are a little damaged, I might just buy a new Game Boy

United States

the thinner didn't remove the color, it just damaged the finish and discolored the plastic. you can get the original color back with fine grit sandpaper to remove the discolored layer and then attempt to buff it to a shine again, or spray it with clear coat.

Last edited by Boner (May 29, 2016 3:12 am)

United States

You could also try an acetone bath to get a gloss back too, but it's not easy.

Last edited by Boner (May 29, 2016 3:12 am)

Tlalnepantla. México

I might try removing the discolored layer, I can't make it any worse.
The acetone bath looks a little too risky

Last edited by BusterGR_18 (May 29, 2016 4:12 am)

Michigan

I think Ur fucked bro. Just buy a third party replacement shell and switch them out. Any color you want.

Boise, ID

I think that actually looks really sweet

France

I think too that looks great this way but maybe it's just the picture!

Omg that looks so sick! What kind of thinner was it dipped in, what was the name of it? Or was it just generic paint thinner?

Looks like marble.

Anyway, the time and money you will need to spend restoring if won't match up to buying a new case.

Evansville, IN

Wow, brb, doing this to one of mine. Looks awesome.

Tlalnepantla. México

It was  generic thinner, btw the thinner smell it's still on the shell.
I noticed that even the screw holes are damaged, not by the thinner itself, when I took it apart I saw Philips screws, it split up pretty easily but the holes are totally f*cked up so yeah the thing it's pretty much useless