Hi friends, I'm having some issues loading .sav files in KiGB in OSX.

I've dug through the forums and the FAQ, and it seems like KiGB keeps .sav files within the Battery Ram folder. However, when I try to load the lsdj.gb file, it won't load the corresponding lsdj.sav file. I've tried putting it in the Battery Ram folder, and I've tried keeping it in the same folder as the gb file.

HOWEVER, it still seems to create a .sav file somewhere...? For example:

I've written a few songs on a file called lsdj.gb. I can quit the program, reload lsdj.gb, and I still have my songs. Then, if I change the file name to lsdj2.gb, it will boot up a clean file, and I can write a few new songs, open and close the program, and it keeps those new songs. THEN, I can change the filename back and forth between lsdj.gb and lsdj2.gb, and they will both load their respective saved songs.

But where is it storing the .sav files?
It doesn't matter what .sav file is in the Battery Ram folder. Hell, it doesn't even matter if I delete every .sav file on my computer. It still loads those songs, depending on what name I choose for the .gb file.

It's not a huge deal I guess. I can still reliably write and save songs, I just have no idea where these .sav files are stored. I'd at least like to be able to back up my data, or transfer saves between emulators. I've scoured the internet to no avail.

Does KiGB store saves within the rom files?
Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Thanks heart

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j

Hmmm that should be the correct folder...

Here's my thought, duplicate the rom, name it something crazy like "chiptunefuckingsucks.gb" and search for "chiptunefuckingsucks.sav" and you should be able to find the directory that KiGB is saving in.

nanode wrote:

Here's my thought, duplicate the rom, name it something crazy like "chiptunefuckingsucks.gb" and search for "chiptunefuckingsucks.sav" and you should be able to find the directory that KiGB is saving in.

Thanks for the suggestion -- I just tried this, and it seems to create a new save file when I rename it to "chiptunefuckingsucks.gb", but when I search for "chiptunefuckingsucks.sav" in Finder, nothing shows up. I've revealed all hidden files, and still nothing. Yet it still somehow saves data? hmm

little combat wrote:
nanode wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion -- I just tried this, and it seems to create a new save file when I rename it to "chiptunefuckingsucks.gb", but when I search for "chiptunefuckingsucks.sav" in Finder, nothing shows up. I've revealed all hidden files, and still nothing. Yet it still somehow saves data? hmm

That's really weird. Open up KiGB and try to find a directory setting and change the directory. If that doesn't do it, I'd say reinstall it or use an older version.

Kigb is weird..
What i did was:

Get a sav, get a rom.
Place the save in the battery folder
Rename the rom like the sav
Open the rom.

Once you opened a rom, and you replace the sav, it won't work.

I have no clue why tho.

So, always place a sav in the folder before opening the rom.

Hi there,

KiGB stores it's sav-files in your Application Support folder.

That means: In Finder click Macintosh HD an navigate to the following folder:
Users/[your_username]/Library/Application Support/Bannister/KiGB

This folder contains the folder Battery RAM which contains your save files.

Extra Note:
Like in any other emulator the naming convention is that the save files has the same name as the rom file. (Apart from the extension of course)

And as far as i experienced you can exchange save files as long as you follow the naming conventions.

Last edited by zemzelett (Jun 7, 2016 6:08 pm)

zemzelett wrote:

Hi there,

KiGB stores it's sav-files in your Application Support folder.

That means: In Finder click Macintosh HD an navigate to the following folder:
Users/[your_username]/Library/Application Support/Bannister/KiGB

This folder contains the folder Battery RAM which contains your save files.

That's the Battery Ram folder already discussed in the thread. It's not working.

nanode wrote:

That's the Battery Ram folder already discussed in the thread. It's not working.

I've done it before writing my post. And i just tested it again. It works as expected.

I can just guess you (the original poster) are deleting files while KiGB is still running. If doing so, KiGB will restore the save file from RAM. If you close KiGB properly (Cmd + q) and delete save files after doing so then restarting KiGB will make lsdj test the save ram as there is no save file.

There is no other folder with save files. You can definitely take these save files and provide them to any other emulator or actual cartridge. They are proper save files!

Just in case: What version of MacOS are you on?

Last edited by zemzelett (Jun 7, 2016 10:20 pm)

just want to confirm that yes, what zemzelett is saying is true, but KiGB is very finnicky on the order in which you delete things. one question though: i'm trying to find and alter kigb.cfg (i want to make kigb not use my Documents folder as the default search location) but cannot find that file either? i checked in the hidden library folder on Mac OSX too

Last edited by an0va (Jun 14, 2016 5:30 am)

There is a file in ~/Library/Preferences/ called com.bannister.kigb.plist but i can not figure out, how to make changes in it take effect. But it is definitely the file, KiGB stores it's preferences in.

<key>NSNavLastCurrentDirectory:GetFile:0</key>
    <string>~/Documents</string>
    <key>NSNavLastCurrentDirectory:PutFile:0</key>
    <string>~/Documents/gameboy</string>
    <key>NSNavLastRootDirectory:GetFile:0</key>
    <key>NSNavLastRootDirectory:PutFile:0</key>

I don't have much time to play around with it atm. Maybe the location helps already.

sweet i'll mess around with it - thank you! smile

You're welcome! If you find out how to change the default search location, give feedback. I'm interested in changing that as well.

Last edited by zemzelett (Jun 15, 2016 6:42 pm)