United Kingdom

So my delay pedal is not working as it should and I need to get a new one.

I know the Boss DD-7 but I want a more authentic "analog" sound.

Has anyone tried the BOSS RE-20 Space Echo Pedal?

Or is there another pedal that sounds analog-ish that doesn't cost so much?

Glasgow, Scotland.

Does the pedal need to be stereo, or can it be mono? Most great pedals will be the latter, but it isn't an insurmountable issue.

Edmonton, Alberta

The MXR Carbon Copy Delay is a nice choice. It's actually analog (has a bucket brigade chip in it). I'd swear by it if I didn't have better sounding and more flexible delays in my studio.

I adore my tc flashback. Really versatile, relatively affordable if you watch for the right deal, easy to dial in very useable settings. Mine is the plain old mid sized pedal, not the mini or the x4. Not analog, but sweet nonetheless.

Last edited by error (Jun 7, 2016 10:39 pm)

Melbourne

Behringer EM600 has some great features such as analog/tape emulation and a sweet reverse delay mode

detroit

gonna agree with hoffdaddy up there. carbon copy is a really nice lil pedal

United Kingdom
unexpectedbowtie wrote:

Does the pedal need to be stereo, or can it be mono? Most great pedals will be the latter, but it isn't an insurmountable issue.

don't care if it's stereo or not. I have always used mono pedals honestly.

error wrote:

I adore my tc flashback. Really versatile, relatively affordable if you watch for the right deal, easy to dial in very useable settings. Mine is the plain old mid sized pedal, not the mini or the x4. Not analog, but sweet nonetheless.

i really dont expect to find a cheap analog delay nowadays, just something that emulates the sound is ok so I'll check it out

you all metioned some great ideas. i havent heard of a lot of these pedals so I will look into them all.

• MXR Carbon Copy Delay

• Behringer EM600

• TC Flashback Delay

Dublin, Ireland

The RE-20 is my main delay and very fun live, quite playable.

However, it's a pretty specific sound, that old school dubby sound, decays and distorts, pretty dirty.
Absolutely love it, but it all depends what you're looking for. And I guess from checking your music here, you'd be into it.
Also the reverb's kinda nice.

The Strymon El Capistan also looks to be a good bet and something I've had my eye on for a while. Somewhat more versatile it seems. Again, if tape echo's what you're after.
Pretty pricy though.

The RE-20 honestly looked to be the best quality/price for that sort of thing I could find and I think you can come across them reduced a bit on eBay.

Last edited by iNFOTOXIN (Jun 8, 2016 10:52 am)

Czech Republic

You can get Ibanez ES2, It's analog delay with taptempo and nice modulation effect.
But I recomad you to buy some vintage BBD delay (Evans echopet, Monacor EEM, Boss DM100, or Roland DC20) if you don't need small guitar pedal dimensions. These are the best delays I think.
Also I'm really satisfied with Ibanez Soundtank series delays (Ibanez Echo machine EM5, but it's quite rare and expensive, or Ibanez DL5 with modification - doubled time)

Geneva, NY

A dear friend and forum member, XC3N, has that Space Echo and loves it.

Me, I have a Donner Yellow Fall analog delay and I love it. $34. Legit analog (I've opened it up and seen the chip). Haven't sent electronics thru it, but it sounds great on my guitar pedalboard and self-oscillates nicely. Also, it's super tiny and built tough.

Glasgow, Scotland.
BLEO wrote:

Me, I have a Donner Yellow Fall analog delay and I love it. $34. Legit analog (I've opened it up and seen the chip). Haven't sent electronics thru it, but it sounds great on my guitar pedalboard and self-oscillates nicely. Also, it's super tiny and built tough.

+1 on the Donner Yellow Fall. You won't get much more analogue bang for your buck than that.

Utah

+1 for Carbon Copy. I've had good experiences.

Tacoma WA

i just bought a deluxe memory boy.  liking it so far

Swansea, UK

I've got a regular memory boy which I love, it has expression pedal input, which I control using CV from my microbrute.

I also have a memory man with hazarai - digital but really user friendly given all the different settings.

IL, US
BLEO wrote:

great, now i looked at their site and feel the urge to hoard pedals rising... maybe it'll be a good thing that i never sold off my 2nd pedal board

Glasgow, Scotland.
e.s.c. wrote:
BLEO wrote:

great, now i looked at their site and feel the urge to hoard pedals rising... maybe it'll be a good thing that i never sold off my 2nd pedal board

I started http://noisepedals.com off the back of a pedal obsession :'(