(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j
XyNo wrote:

Surely because chiptune is the mix of the 2 things in life that avoided myself to commit suicide !

0 to 100 REAL QUICK

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j

For those of you (nobody) wondering my stance, I'm in it as a learning experience. After I reach a point I feel comfortable with my music and style of writing, I plan on moving on from chiptune. Not to say I won't be active, but that I won't be making as much chipmusic.

I found that limiting myself has worked so very well when trying to learn about sound design, and introducing yourself to a HUGE complex system or DAW like Ableton can be extremely difficult and challenging. Hopefully that won't be the case after a few more releases.

Edmonton, Alberta
nanode wrote:

For those of you (nobody) wondering my stance, I'm in it as a learning experience. After I reach a point I feel comfortable with my music and style of writing, I plan on moving on from chiptune. Not to say I won't be active, but that I won't be making as much chipmusic.

I found that limiting myself has worked so very well when trying to learn about sound design, and introducing yourself to a HUGE complex system or DAW like Ableton can be extremely difficult and challenging. Hopefully that won't be the case after a few more releases.

In my experience, DAWs are actually easier than trackers. The interface looks scarier than it actually is. What -is- difficult is knowing when to restrain yourself production wise. It's really easy to go overboard and add way too much instrumentation and layering, when in most cases all a composition usually needs is three to four distinct voices. Hence a widespread preference for chiptune based composition. The benefit of a DAW though is that you can find more technical ways to still have all those extra layers but have them play nice with the main elements of your mix. Sidechain compression is a godsend in that regard.

Last edited by hoffman_iv (Jun 7, 2016 11:36 pm)

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

I ask myself this every day. Why on earth did I bother with chiptune?

montreal, qc

I've always been a pcm data tracker, I'm just here because it's literally the only good forum related to tracker music period.

Melbourne
ilkae wrote:

I'm just here because it's literally the only good forum related to tracker music period.

True.

I didn't even know you posted here! love your work!

Tokyo, Japan
PleaseLoseBattle wrote:

Simple : I suck at composing, but I suck less when I have limitations.
Searching through thousands of sounds inside infinite libraries isn't for me.

And yeah, the nostalgia thing.

Yep. This is how I approach it, too.

Chicago
PleaseLoseBattle wrote:

Searching through thousands of sounds inside infinite libraries isn't for me.

Agreed. If I try making electronic music in a DAW, I just end up spending hours swapping presets and fiddling with virtual knobs and don't actually write anything.

I think I like chiptune mainly because all the NES I played as a kid wired my brain to give me a hit of dopamine every time I hear a pulse wave.

because i like to make my life frustrating

vancouver, canada

WHY, CHIPTUNE? WHY

UK

Well I think that it all started on a cold winter morning for me. 4AM and still dark, the snow beat on the roof as though the world were against me and I thought- 'Is this happening outside, or is it happening inside of me, or both'. To that end I was inspired to mix the dark and brutal reality of nature with the technology and industry of the modern day, and to show that mixture in an anti-political and cyberpunk statement. These feelings inside me are yet to die and so I carry on

UK

So deep..

Philly

Getting down and dirty with hardware that was supposed to be a closed platform.

Because I was a little shit that turned off the volume when playing NES and Game Boy back when I was young, and when I picked the Game Boy back up to replay my fave games I realized what I was missing. First I wanted to "make up for the lost time", then it just became a thing forever.

East Coast USA

I rarely make any full fledged chip tune tracks, but I've been experimenting with using Nanoloop2 in the primarily analog synthpop group that I'm half of. The FM synth in NL2 has such a lovely grainy warmth to it that contrasts nicely to the more smooth tone of my analog equipment.
TBH though, the limitations of chip instruments drive me up a wall. I've been writing songs on guitar and piano for about eight years, so sitting down and programming a pattern on my gameboy is a mind-numbing chore. If I could just play the damn thing with a keyboard I'd use it more

Last edited by Dolby-Z (Jun 10, 2016 8:10 am)

Swansea, UK
Dolby-Z wrote:

If I could just play the damn thing with a keyboard I'd use it more

Yeah, that'd be sick.

http://littlesounddj.wikia.com/wiki/PC_ … _Interface