France

I've bought an Everdrive cardridge for Megadrive. I don't own a megadrive yet, and I see there are different versions, especially the version 1 and version 2. It seems Megadrive 2 no longer contains the original audio chip YM2612 but they use an all in one ASIC (Sega 315-5660 or Sega 315-5960) which does the z80 cpu and the audio as well:
http://segaretro.org/Mega_Drive_PCB_revisions
In this later case, an FPGA could do the same right?

Do they sound similar? Which one do you think is better? I'd say the version 1 is more genuine, but maybe I'm wrong...

Michigan

The model 1 does have a separate FM PSG, but the model 2 used the original architecture on-die for the all-in-one chip.The only difference you have to worry about is the audio filter which was cheapened for cost reasons when they shrunk the size for the model 2. 

I mean, the SN76489 sound chip was already built into the main chip to begin with, using the same method.

NUMBSKULL

Not to mention there are tons of subtle variations even between the model 1 and 2. Generally the "HD Graphics" model 1 is praised for it's sound, but there's also two variations of that, with one sounding better than the other.

End of the day though, who will ever know? I am 99% confident nobody could tell a difference between models just by listening to it.

Michigan
catskull wrote:

Not to mention there are tons of subtle variations even between the model 1 and 2. Generally the "HD Graphics" model 1 is praised for it's sound, but there's also two variations of that, with one sounding better than the other.

End of the day though, who will ever know? I am 99% confident nobody could tell a difference between models just by listening to it.

Determining the difference between the model 1 revisions by ear would probably not be possible, but the filter between a model 1 and model 2 is rather susbstantial. Entire instruments are non existent on a model 2 becuase the roll off is so much different.

NUMBSKULL

Sorry, yeah I meant hear the difference between revisions.

Milwaukee, WI

My personal favorite is a modded model 2.

Adelaide, Australia

With regards to which console is more "genuine" or "better", that's pretty subjective. But which is better for you depends on what you want to do with it. For example some are better for modding (audio, video, region, 50Hz/60Hz, clock crystal replacement), some are larger or smaller so are more portable and as has been already mentioned some have better stock audio.

The Mega Drive 2 also has separate MC60000 and z80 so it is only the sound chips and video that are combined into the ASIC as far as I know, but there are still separate outputs for the left and right YM2612 and the PSG. So in my opinion a Mega Drive 2 is still very much a genuine console, it's compact and the sound clarity can be improved by an audio mod so it's the one I use and recommend.

France

Thank you for your answers. I'll probably try to get a Megadrive 1 first, then maybe another model if I get the opportunity.

France

I got a Megadrive 1, and I find the sound quite smoother than the one from emulation. I thought square tones (PSG) and FM sounds could be easily emulated, and even if it's probably the case, the rest like DAC will make much difference.

Here is the new recording:

https://soundcloud.com/garvalf/what-was … valf-music

Comparison with the one I've uploaded on chipmusic.org: http://chipmusic.org/garvalf/music/what … the-bottle

Solar System

Model 1 with text: HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS AND STEREO SOUND...