oklahoma

Damn, I knew I should've gotten two of these carts before they disappeared.  So I just started using trackers. Sid wizard being my first exposure. Ouch. So I can load instruments and songs from the cart using drives 9 & 10. CAN I save instruments or songs to the cart?! I've seen some conflicting reports. Frank buss seemed to say not at the moment. Does anyone know any ways to save to the cart?  I'm going to get an sd2iec, if that works with sid wizard, just trying to make progress until then. Thanks.

New York City

No. Kerberos does not supprt save. You need an SD2IEC, floppy emulator or floppy drive.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
akira^8GB wrote:

No. Kerberos does not supprt save. You need an SD2IEC, floppy emulator or floppy drive.

Kerberos emulates floppies, why can't it be used to save?

Unsubscribe

Read only though right?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
herr_prof wrote:

Read only though right?

You can write to them from the MIDI/PC interface so I assume you can write to them from the C64 itself, too. I'll have to confirm that tonight, but I don't remember reading anywhere that they're read-only.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Mar 17, 2016 7:51 pm)

New York City

No, you can't assume, because it doesn't work.

Write support isn't supported. Ask Frank Buß why. Also Kerberos has no serial port connection, for it to work even as an IEC device it would need a cable going to the serial port, like all other IEC devices (flioppy drives, emulators, SD2IECs etc). If there's a workaround for this, writing directly to the cartridge (maybe like a REU RAM disk is handled), it was not figured out how before Frank decided to kill Kerberos development.

His mail to me about the issue:

currently the write feature is missing, but planned:

https://github.com/FrankBuss/kerberos/issues/6

It is complicated to implement this with the limited resources of the C64, because basically it has to emulate a 1541 ROM, with the added difficulty that only 4k flash sectors can be written, but it should be possible. I hope that I can find some more time this year to implement it, then I'll send an update eMail to all customers for the new menu system (the cartridge disk implementation is integrated in the menu system).

Regards,

Frank

That was last year.
I guess he knew there could be  way, but he never did it. Because if he had intended to also have a disk emulator/IEC device in the cart, he would have added a serial port. But he didn't.
I feel like the disk support is a gimmick he added last minute because why not.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 17, 2016 8:22 pm)

oklahoma

Yeah...thanks. page 6, section 8 of the manual says " experimental at the moment and read-only..."  too good to be true for an all In one c64 chiptune cart Solution.  That sounds like an ad. Pretty cool cart, and software!

Unsubscribe

read only is still pretty good, write your songs at home with a real floppy, and burn to the cart for gigs!

Unsubscribe

read only is still pretty good, write your songs at home with a real floppy, and burn to the cart for gigs!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
herr_prof wrote:

Yeah, that's why I had never noticed it was read only. I use an emulator to write the tunes and then flash for gigs. For my workflow it's not a big deal.

New York City
herr_prof wrote:

Only that it doesn't always work.
SID Wizard had to be patched to be able to use those weird disk devices according to the manual. Since I use a diferent SID Wizard version, they don't work.
Anything I tried by enabling disk mode and flashing has NOT worked.
So, it's pretty useless unless the software you burn specifically supports this kinda device..

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 18, 2016 2:16 pm)

oklahoma

Not good..? So, the cart I have has some patched version on it. I start from slot, hit 8 for file browser, move down to sid wiz 1.7 and load. I can load songs from disk 9 and "play with" the instruments. They hang up on note off messages apparently. I can see a list of instrument names on disk 10, but they load corrupted and...wait...are they calling me a strumpet? Not nice. So back to making tables of instrument numbers. And I have to use dateljms to get any midi responsiveness. So. Is that it?
And what about saving? Im looking for another way than floppies. I have a 1571 that loads disks, but I havnt had any luck formatting and saving. And I dont want to use it. Any sage advice? Point me to the product to get for saving sid wizard files on a c64 please.

NUMBSKULL

I just noticed the other day that the kerberos cart stuff is all open source. So crowdfunded production runs might not be out of the question. Is it worth it though?

oklahoma

Anyone use an sd2iec and save sid wizard files? I don't want to buy one and find out it doesn't work.

Horsetralia
oscillating wrote:

Anyone use an sd2iec and save sid wizard files? I don't want to buy one and find out it doesn't work.

I was actually about to test that tonight - no reason it shouldn't work with SD2IEC drive as #8 for saving songs and instruments etc smile

Hi everybofy, I've found lots of problems for saving tunes in Sid Wizard 1.7. I have a SD2IEC on my C64C with a SwinSid Inside. Well... the first track and progressive versions of it are saved but during the creation of a second idea I've noticed that it was impossible to store any progression of the work in terms of patterns mainly ( the sounds are well saved ) but no notes or other kind of datas and when I try to load the last saving what I get is just file with no new parts ( new patterns ) do You have any suggestions for this issue ? Thanx !!!