i'm using 2 gameboys with LSDJ and i wondering if anyone has any tricks to get 80s style sounding synth chords.
i just cant get close enough to that saw tooth sound

Brunswick, GA USA

Game boys aren't suited to making sawtooth waves unless you use samples.

You could try doubling up the same notes with a bit of pitch detune on the other channels.  Also vary up the duty settings, try combinations of 12.5% or 75% across the notes.  The other thing with '80s synth pads is they used a lot of fast vibratos on the tail, so try simulating what the synths do as much as how they sound, sometimes that can give you the effect without having the same timbre.

New York City

England

if yr using 2 GBs, you could do loads with samples.

NC in the US of America

can you draw two sawtooth waves in the wav channels and double them up..? >.>

4mat wrote:

You could try doubling up the same notes with a bit of pitch detune on the other channels.  Also vary up the duty settings, try combinations of 12.5% or 75% across the notes.  The other thing with '80s synth pads is they used a lot of fast vibratos on the tail, so try simulating what the synths do as much as how they sound, sometimes that can give you the effect without having the same timbre.

im already doubling and detuning, a fast shallow vibrato might actually do the trick ill mess around in some tables

SketchMan3 wrote:

can you draw two sawtooth waves in the wav channels and double them up..? >.>

that might work, but i might need to add a third gameboy now XD

Jellica wrote:

if yr using 2 GBs, you could do loads with samples.

hmm ive actually been wanting to make some samples, this is probably the most appealing idea, Thanks Jellica!