Akron, OH

Hello. I go by Missingno. and I make chiptune /  video game inspired electronic music, produced in Reaper using VSTi's and recorded in my closet yadda yadda...

I'm thinking about heading towards a more chiptune-y direction for my next project

These

https://soundcloud.com/missingno_13/daydreamers-song

https://soundcloud.com/missingno_13/toypop

are my most chiptune-y tracks so far.

I'd like to know  whether or not the music/instrumentals are good enough to do a mostly chiptune project or if I should modernize it with 808's or something, not EDM but like 808's & Heartbreak style (ignore the vocals they're not pertinent).

NC in the US of America

Honestly @ Daydreamers Song I think it might be better to focus on the sound design of your synths with more than just plain static pulse waves and stuff rather than which drums to use. But yeah, I think this could probably do well with some 808. But just keep making what you like. My thoughts are subjective, of course. Toypop was pretty fun to listen to.

Fun fact, the Roland TR-808 actually predates the Famicom, C64, and probably most of the other computers and game consoles that are popularly used for chipmusic... so "modernize" is kind of a funny word to use there tongue

But yeah, keep on trackin. I actually think the vocals are one of the better aspects of the music. Keep working on everything.

Akron, OH
SketchMan3 wrote:

Honestly @ Daydreamers Song I think it might be better to focus on the sound design of your synths with more than just plain static pulse waves and stuff rather than which drums to use. But yeah, I think this could probably do well with some 808. But just keep making what you like. My thoughts are subjective, of course. Toypop was pretty fun to listen to.

Fun fact, the Roland TR-808 actually predates the Famicom, C64, and probably most of the other computers and game consoles that are popularly used for chipmusic... so "modernize" is kind of a funny word to use there tongue

But yeah, keep on trackin. I actually think the vocals are one of the better aspects of the music. Keep working on everything.

Hey man thanks for the advise (and quick response time! I expected at least a day's wait).

I got quite a lot of similar responses for Daydreamer's Song, like "the synths were jarring at first but as the song went on it became okay". I guess the VSTi's I used weren't really... the most customizable. But for the purpose of DDS I thought those synths sounded the best since they reminded me of a strong sunset. I even EQ'd off the high and upper mids to try and combat it. However if I rolled them off anymore they would've sounded "weak". I was kinda lost on what to do with that so they just kinda stayed there tongue.

I'm glad you liked ToyPop man. The power of a pop-beat is crazy lol. ToyPop wasn't nearly as difficult for me to make as DDS. And vocals was another grueling journey itself but at least it seems to be paying off

And I actually was not aware of that lol. Well...you learn something new everyday maybe I'll use that as a way to rationalize 808's and 8bit still being somehow Retro.

Michigan

As for advice, don't ever grow old.

NC in the US of America
Missingno. wrote:

I got quite a lot of similar responses for Daydreamer's Song, like "the synths were jarring at first but as the song went on it became okay". I guess the VSTi's I used weren't really... the most customizable. But for the purpose of DDS I thought those synths sounded the best since they reminded me of a strong sunset.

Hey, far be it from me to tell someone to not do something that they feel evokes the mood they want. Keep doing you, man.

As far as rolling off frequencies... well I'm no expert on mixing, so I got nothing to say there...

I think maybe I'm just not used to hearing that type of raw synth used with such full chords. I'm more accustomed to hearing it with like... 2 notes, 3 notes max, hehe

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 28, 2016 4:29 am)

Akron, OH
SketchMan3 wrote:
Missingno. wrote:

I got quite a lot of similar responses for Daydreamer's Song, like "the synths were jarring at first but as the song went on it became okay". I guess the VSTi's I used weren't really... the most customizable. But for the purpose of DDS I thought those synths sounded the best since they reminded me of a strong sunset.

Hey, far be it from me to tell someone to not do something that they feel evokes the mood they want. Keep doing you, man.

As far as rolling off frequencies... well I'm no expert on mixing, so I got nothing to say there...

I think maybe I'm just not used to hearing that type of raw synth used with such full chords. I'm more accustomed to hearing it with like... 2 notes, 3 notes max, hehe

yeah haha. I guess I should work on my sound design for this next project. But honestly I'd probably be easier to just download some more chiptune-style synth VSTis. You wouldn't happen to know if they do that here right? Like trading VSTis or something

sweden

At first I thought you were Martin smile

https://sevenforce.bandcamp.com/album/seven-force-2-2

Akron, OH
nordloef wrote:

At first I thought you were Martin smile

https://sevenforce.bandcamp.com/album/seven-force-2-2

Sorry to disappoint!

Akron, OH
Jazzmarazz wrote:

As for advice, don't ever grow old.

Considering Pharrell is my idol / goal, I think I'm headed down the right path